X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • speakerboy
    • Nov 2005

SCMS or DS8S Surround Speakers?

For space reasons, I have decided to sell my (4) 805 speakers and stands in favor of wall-mount speakers. I am considering (4) DS8S speakers but before I buy, I thought I'd get people's opinions and experiences with the SCMS speakers, DS8S speakers, or combination of both.

I am running a pair of N803 speakers for mains and HTM1 for center and am more of a movie/surround sound buff than a 2-channel buff. I've read various reviews about the benefits of dipoles. With the DS8S speakers costing a bit more, will they sound like the SCMS when switched to monopole? I feel that I'll get the best of both worlds with the DS8S. I could run the 2 sides as monopole and the rears as dipoles...or run them all in dipoles...or run them all in monopoles if I want direct-radiating sound.

Opinions?
    Last edited by speakerboy; 12 February 2008, 22:49 Tuesday.
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

If you want to run them all monopole, then no need to invest in the DS8's. The SCMS will do just perfectly.
    I run my DS8's on the sides in a dipole configuration and the SCMS at the rears.
    Whats nice about the DS8's is that you can run them as monopole.

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

If you go with dipoles you should run those on the sides and monopoles for rears not the other way, UNLESS you have domestic constraints that forces seating against the back wall. I would stick with the SCMS all around if room allowed. Current soundtracks are mastered with the expectation that they will be reproduced with monopoles.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• speakerboy
        • Nov 2005

There's an article I read recently that discusses dipoles vs monopoles:

It seems the majority of the listeners prefered dipoles for the rear. Sides were more a matter of preference.

The only reason I am considering DS8S is so that I don't make a mistake wishing I got SCMS or DS8S...the DS8S would allow me to switch either way, even though it's a more expensive route to go with.

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Are you looking for opinions or reassurances?

The article is nearly eight years old and should be accepted in the context of today’s hi-res formats. In my experience a processor that employs superior surround steering in conjunction with good surround placement results in a more believable and immersive environment with monopoles than it does with dipoles.

The surrounds should be given no less consideration to selection and setup than that paid to the LCR and subwoofer. If you choose the DS8 then you'll have the option for both modes BUT once you hang them they are fixed in space. The SCMS are far less restricted having three axes for adjustment. This gives them an advantage for optimizing imaging which the studios mixing the soundtracks, nowadays, are anticipating.

Dipoles work better in tighter spaces unlike monopoles which do better in larger spaces. Theatres don't use dipoles, studios aren't mixing for dipoles and therefore you shouldn't use them, but again the last remark is my opinion which the article seems to echo in this statement...
          Movie nuts who watch mostly action films with predominantly discrete surround or rear-channel effects or music fans who like 5.1 recordings that place discrete instruments in the rear channels should definitely audition direct-radiating loudspeakers for the surround channels.
          According to your description "am more of a movie/surround sound buff" you belong in this category not the following...
          Film and music buffs who like the rear channel to be more ambient in nature and want to focus on the action or soundstage up front should look more toward dipole speakers.
          By the way, unless I missed it no description of the room was mentioned in the review. A bit of an oversight I think.

Comment

• speakerboy
            • Nov 2005

I didn't realize the article was 8 years old!! I obviously haven't been keeping with the times! When I got my 805 speakers a few years back, I knew they were the right choice since 5.1 surrounds are recorded in full-range. It's been a while, but I take it dipoles do not provide full-range frequency response? Doesn't the THX spec recommend dipoles? Know of any recent articles about dipole technology? I like reading about this stuff!

Getting 4 SCMS's would be similar to my 4 805 configuration, other than they would be mounted on the wall and be out of my way. Looking at it from a value perspective, would SCMS speakers have a higher resale value than DS8S speakers? Just looking into the future if i upgrade again...I don't want to pay $1000 for something I'll only get back $100!
            Last edited by speakerboy; 14 February 2008, 13:31 Thursday.

Comment

• scanido
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by speakerboy
              Looking at it from a value perspective, would SCMS speakers have a higher resale value DS8S speakers? Just looking into the future if i upgrade again...I don't want to pay $1000 for something I'll only get back $100!
              I would imagine the SCMS would retain more value as it is the more popular choice of the two models.

Comment

• speakerboy
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                The SCMS are far less restricted having three axes for adjustment. This gives them an advantage for optimizing imaging which the studios mixing the soundtracks, nowadays, are anticipating.
                Good points...thanks! Sounds like I'll be going with SCMS units! A question about its mounting/adjustment. I have a wall where the picture window is very high. Between the ceiling and the picture window, the wall is 14". Can the SCMS be mounted just above the picture window so that I can tilt the SCMS in such a way that it clears the ceiling? Or can it be mounted above the window and then adjust the tilt down towards the window and then angled downward to the listener?

I think the height of the SCMS is just over 14".

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

You might have some challenges with your location. The SCMS are closer to 16" in height. The mounting bracket is about 2" above the base of the speaker. You could possibly get it to fit if the 2" overhang across the picture window is acceptable. The speaker can be tilled down and pivoted towards the listener if desired but the freedom of movement has it's limits. The speaker can also be pulled away from the wall by a few inches to facilitate considerable lateral movement.

Comment

• speakerboy
                    • Nov 2005

I saw somewhere on this website some pictures of SCMS speakers mounted and pictures of the bracket mount itself attached to the wall and speaker. Does anybody know the link to these pics?
                    Last edited by speakerboy; 07 March 2008, 13:47 Friday.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

I just shipped off my pair of SCMS and brackets on weds. SCMS brackets attach to the back of the speaker vs the bottom for the SCM1.

I dont think I have any pics of the SCMS brackets. I kept the NSCM1.

The SCSM brackets do allow alot more flexability in angles. The SCM1 brackets are much more beefy but dont alow the speaker to tilt, just swivel side to side and slide forward and back.
                      B&W

Comment

• sorvino123
                        • Nov 2008

Hello I just purchased a used pair of B&W SCM1. The speakers did not come with the wall mounting brackets. Any thoughts where I can pick up a pair? Thank you Peter

Comment

• speakerboy
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by sorvino123
                          Hello I just purchased a used pair of B&W SCM1. The speakers did not come with the wall mounting brackets. Any thoughts where I can pick up a pair? Thank you Peter
                          I bet you could get a pair by contacting B&W. I'd be curious to know how much they charge.

Comment

• Blindamood
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by speakerboy
                            I saw somewhere on this website some pictures of SCMS speakers mounted and pictures of the bracket mount itself attached to the wall and speaker. Does anybody know the link to these pics?
                            That was probably mine. Pics are posted here.

Here are pics after move. No pic of bracket, tho.
                            Brad

Comment

• ray5
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Blindamood
                              That was probably mine. Pics are posted here.

Here are pics after move. No pic of bracket, tho.
                              Great setup! The way I see it the SCMS are about 6-7' above ground. Is that what you prefer or is it recommended? I am deciding between the 805S or the SCMS as my rears and am not sure yet, hence the question.
                              ray

Comment

• Blindamood
                                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ray5
                                Great setup! The way I see it the SCMS are about 6-7' above ground. Is that what you prefer or is it recommended? I am deciding between the 805S or the SCMS as my rears and am not sure yet, hence the question.
                                ray
                                Thanks. I think my goal was about 2' above a listener's head when they are seated. In the second pic, the line around the room is just about 6' from the floor. I used to have standmounts (CDM 1NTs), but I think the sound is more 'diffuse' when coming from slightly above. It still works just great for multi-channel audio, though, as the SCMS are spec'd very similarly to the 805S and HTM4S.
                                Brad

Comment

• ray5
                                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Blindamood
                                  Thanks. I think my goal was about 2' above a listener's head when they are seated. In the second pic, the line around the room is just about 6' from the floor. I used to have standmounts (CDM 1NTs), but I think the sound is more 'diffuse' when coming from slightly above. It still works just great for multi-channel audio, though, as the SCMS are spec'd very similarly to the 805S and HTM4S.
                                  I have read quite often that the rears ideally should be above the ear level and not at the same level. How accurate is that? Also if I go with the 805S with stands they are not going to be that high. Do folks use other methods to raise them?
                                  Ray

Comment

• sikoniko
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

I bought some cork from home depot and put it between the walls and the mounts to reduce vibration on the walls. I feel like it helped.

I can't tell, did you plug or not? I left mine in.
                                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Blindamood
                                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                      I bought some cork from home depot and put it between the walls and the mounts to reduce vibration on the walls. I feel like it helped.

I can't tell, did you plug or not? I left mine in.
                                      I believe I took my plugs out.
                                      Brad

Comment

• frankk
                                        • Apr 2009

Thanks for Blindamood's picture, I don't know SCMS is ported at the buttom until I saw the picture.

I just acquired a pair of SCM1 in cherrywood, and it is under shipping.

Wanna to build a 2.1 system for music only.
                                        Any pre-amp or i-amp have Sub Out?

Any advises will be appreciated. (Sorry if I hijack the thread).

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"