X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

NSCM1 or SCMS

Just looking to get some opinions between the NSCM1 vs. SCMS.

These will be for rear surround duty. Current speakers include N804 & HTM2.

Obviously, the NSCM1 would have to be purchased 2nd hand, going on audiogon is ~$1200-1500. With the USA price increase the SCMS are currently MSRP $2500. So, there is that to consider....

But the criteria I'm looking for input on is, the quality of sound & tonal matching between my mains/fronts. These will be used mainly for home theater, but I do have some multi-channel audio....say 90% HT, 10% multichannel audio.

Thoughts/comments would be much appreciated! Especially, if you have been able to hear both side by side.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

This is something I am thinking too. I currently have a pair of NSCM1's, but if I go 7.1, should I get the SCMS's or stick with what I have. The thing I like about the SCMS's that the NSCM1's don't offer is positional wall mounting. So they can be pointed in a downward direction, more toward the listener.

I too have Nautilus series fronts, so I'm not sure how well the tweeters will match up...
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Blindamood
      • Sep 2003

And they're slightly different visually, too...NSCM1 has the 'tweeter-on-top' look, while the SCMS has a cleaner look, IMO. And I believe the idea was to integrate the tweeter nearer to the bottom of the speaker, to get it closer to the listener's ear level when the speaker is mounted on a wall.
      Brad

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

Excellent points! Just need to know about tonality. N805 vs 805S comparison? That won't be exact, but might give a clue.

Comment

• scanido
          • Apr 2006

It it were me I would try getting the NSCMS to align with the other speakers in the system.

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Hey Junior, good to see you again.

I think the tweeter on top also lends to a slightly more open sounding speaker, much like the 805's would be for surround duties, plus it would more of a match timbre wise to what you already have, unlike the SCMS.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• junior77blue
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by scanido
              It it were me I would try getting the NSCMS to align with the other speakers in the system.
              You mean nscm1 to match my other nautilus speakers?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"