X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atchudy
    • Nov 2007

Old B&W Nautilus 804

I have a Pair of Nautilus 805, and feel like I am missing some bass. I don't want to go into 2.1, so I am considering finding a pair of used 804.

Would they be a big improvement for around $1,000 extra?
  • cug
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by atchudy
    I have a Pair of Nautilus 805, and feel like I am missing some bass. I don't want to go into 2.1, so I am considering finding a pair of used 804.

Would they be a big improvement for around $1,000 extra?
    Yes.

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I would consider 2 options

Option 1. I would go out and listen to the 805s (as a control for comparisons sake because your room will sound different), then 804s and 803s in the same shop to give yourself some idea of the percentage additional bass over the 805. Both will give you more bass and like most things it gets better the more cash you outlay (unless you get a smashing deal on an N803)

Try to get partnering gear close to your own if possible, and by that I mean cables as well as they can make a big difference to bass in my experience.

I would have a well set up 804 over an ordinary 803 (or maybe even higher)system with less suited partnering equipement. What I am saying is that setup/snergy is that important. A well setup 804s is a real treat.

Option 2. Home demo an aftermarket power cord on the Sony receiver. Go all out if you can. Don't buy before you try at home as results can vary

Just for fun I tried my current power cord on my Marantz 7300OSE receiver playing classical FM music into my 705 rears (it my casual radio listening setup). Bass went from nowhere to bomp bomp bomp. Boy was I surprised. This is a left field solution as the power cable was worth over a 1/3 the full retail of the receiver (just under 50% of the model runout price I actually paid), but if it worked for me. All that matters is whether you get the bass you want.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I dont know where you are getting the $1000 upgrade number from.

I still see N805's go for "more than they should" IMO. And the difference between N805 and N804s is only $300 or so on the small end and $800ish on the big end.

I just had that exact conversation with the lucky owner of the N804s I sold for $2000.

If you have the room for N804s, I would say they are worth every bit of the extra few hundred bux.
        B&W

Comment

• atchudy
          • Nov 2007

How must are a perfect pair of N805 (non-s) going for?

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

$1500 to $1700
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• joetama
              • May 2006

I would defiantly check out the N804 upgrade.

It is obvious that there will be a bass performance increase with out a doubt.
              -Joe

Comment

• atchudy
                • Nov 2007

How much worse are they than the 804S? I paid $1,350 for my Cherry 805, and I was looking at getting B&W stands, but theres not really that much of a jump to used 804 speakers, and more low end is always better.

I really dont want to have spent more than $2,000 on a pair of speakers; and im only doing that because if anything comes up they seem to have fairly reliable and quick resale.

These speakers get lots of use from my college roomates and I, and I have never really felt happy with a subwoofer in regards to the seperations. We live in a safe area, and ever one is very respectfull of stuff being that everyone is a full time student, and also working.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Well I can see your stance there, you would be looking close to $1000 difference between what you paid and what its going to cost for N804s.

If you want N804s, Put your N805s up forsale for $1600ish, if you sell them, you are looking at a smaller difference between the too. If you dont, not money out of your pocket.
                  B&W

Comment

• RNKC
                    • Jun 2005

I think you'll be happier with N804 vs N805. But don't forget that as you move up the food chain, the other weaknesses in your system (amp etc) will become more apparent.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by RNKC
                      I think you'll be happier with N804 vs N805. But don't forget that as you move up the food chain, the other weaknesses in your system (amp etc) will become more apparent.
                      Which is one arguement for the power cord solution.
                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"