X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dutch BW
    • Feb 2007

Finally got the B&W cdm 1nt singing

New on this forum...

So I started out with the B&W CDM1nt accompanied with a marantz cd67mkII, a rotel rb-980bx and a vintage marantz that was used as a preamp. I liked it for a while... I changed interconnect to taralabs and cdp to marantz Cd63mkII ki, nice but not that good... The preamp had to be replaced so there came the Rotel rc990bx, sound improved a lot... It wasn't enough (it never is), so I changed to a new source, Rotel RCD971 ...have been listing to my favorite cd's tonight and boy that rcd 971 made one a heck of a move in the right direction of hi- fi/end... I've heared the 802d 803d 803s 804s and 805s multiple times in combination of some very good sources and amps, so i've got a good reference...

So this story is no question, ...just a stimlation to keep myself and you guys experimenting with gear! I know this isn't the the highend topic with Classe and Mac all over the place, but I still wanted to share it. Buying hifi on a budget and used equipment can provide excellent sound!

Next move will be a speakers and poweramp upgrade, so i'll be lurking and posting here once in a while... Should I go to cdm 9nt or 804s straight away?
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

So you have an all Rotel setup now, right? Sweet. Good combo.

CD: RCD-971
    Pre-amp: RC-990BX
    Amp: RB-980BX

I've always liked the RC-990BX. Just one question, if you're happy with it now, why change it?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
      So you have an all Rotel setup now, right? Sweet. Good combo.

I've always liked the RC-990BX. Just one question, if you're happy with it now, why change it?
      1. because thats what we are always doing
      2. because the journey is more fun than arriving
      3. because the grass is always greener and the sound more gripping and lifelike
      4. because he wants to be an audio nerd
      5. because the 9nt and 804s are both excellent speakers and he would be happy with either. Buy the cheaper one, some good cables and 2 siamese kittens - guaranteed to provide more entertainment value.

Audioqueso that is a most distracting photo. Reminds me of that Futurama cartoon character with the one eye (don't ask me the characters name I don't watch the program)
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Briz vegas
        4. because he wants to be an audio nerd
        We are all guilty of that. ha ha

Audioqueso that is a most distracting photo.
        Yesss... you love it, yes? (say it with a french accent) :B
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Dutch BW
          • Feb 2007

2. because the journey is more fun than arriving

5. because the 9nt and 804s are both excellent speakers and he would be happy with either. Buy the cheaper one, some good cables and 2 siamese kittens - guaranteed to provide more entertainment value.
          That would describe it perfectly + I can't afford the 802 straight away...

And an old 804n belongs to the posibilities as well. Would biamping with two older amps (for instance the rb990) be a good option for the speakers mentioned?

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I would suggest biwiring with 1 better quality older amp. Naim for example recommend using their better amps over 2 lesser ones in active configuration (crossover the highs and lows before the power amps and removing the redundant crossovers in the speaker).

This does depend on which 2 lesser amps verses which one better one. I would go for an old classe over 2 rotels definitely. And don't buy the "all amps sound the same" line, it just depends on the amps involved. Some folks can't hear the difference, and good on 'em, but some folks think a Hyundai and a BMW provide a similar driving experience. Sure they both get you there, sure they can both be fun (in the right circumstances), but ultimately I know which I would rather have, funds permitting.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"