X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark-n-b
    • Apr 2005

B&W and Denon

Has anyone here ever run B&W speakers with Denon POA amplifiers (not AVRs or AVCs)? I was wondering what this would sound like.
    An example would be the POA-S1 or POA-8000
    Cheers
    Mark
  • DM3000 Owner
    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Mark-n-b
    Has anyone here ever run B&W speakers with Denon POA amplifiers (not AVRs or AVCs)? I was wondering what this would sound like.
    Cheers
    Mark
    Which model B&W's? The 802 and up have really difficult current demands.

I remember seeing those amps in catalogs in the early 90's. They are really nice looking. Don't know any more than that. Do you have a pair of can you get a good deal on a pair?

If you are looking for a moderately priced amp that is up to the challenge of higher end B&W's, check out the Crown K2's. They are pro amps and you will be able to get most of your money back out when you upgrade (you will upgrade, we all do, just accept it). :E

Comment

• Race Car Driver
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Cheers
      Mark
      I would love to have those amps, no matter what speakers I was using them on.
      B&W

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

The specs say they will "double down" to 2 ohms-1000 watts! They should drive just about any speaker you hook 'em to. Go for it. I'm only guessing , but they should 'encourage' the B & Ws to put out a decent effort.
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Mark-n-b
          • Apr 2005

Yes, sorry should have said that it will be 803D or 802D - I have not decided yet. I have seen these amps online, but they hardly ever come up for sale outside of Japan so I am looking forward into the future - I would like to find some in Europe because the voltage will then be 220v like here in the UK.

In the short term I am thinking about the denon POA-A1HD running 5 channels in bridged differential mode. This would be controversial I know, but if i do manage to get either of these amps then the A1HD could be used for centre/rear etc and hopefully should integrate well with the mains.

Comment

• Mark-n-b
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
            ...The 802 and up have really difficult current demands...
            Are the demands of the 802D much higher than the 803D or are they similar?

Cheers

Mark

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
              • Jun 2006

Are the demands of the 802D much higher than the 803D or are they similar?

Cheers

Mark
              As far as I know it is much worse. I have only paid close attention to the 802 and up.

I did not read the specs on the Denons. If they double at 4 and again at 2 ohms they are what you are looking for.

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                • Apr 2005

According to the website:

802D
                Nominal Impedance 8Ω (minimum 3.5Ω)
                Crossover frequencies 350Hz, 4kHz
                Recommended Amplifier Power 50W – 500W into 8Ω on unclipped programme

803D
                Nominal Impedance 8Ω (minimum 3.0Ω)
                Crossover frequencies 350Hz, 4kHz
                Recommended Amplifier Power 50W – 500W into 8Ω on unclipped programme

If I am reading this right, it shows that infact the 803D is more difficult than the 802D - is this right?

Comment

• ChrisssB
                  • Feb 2006

Not quite!
                  Its not only a matter of which is the minimum impedance, but the whole diagram (impedance/freq). It depends on phase shifts etch... I believe that 802D is more difficult load than 803D.
                  To give you an example 804S have minimum impedance of 3.0 ohms. Still they are an easier load than 803D or 802D.

Best regards Chris

Comment

• george_k
                    • Jan 2004

Actually the 802 dips to 3ohms for much 100-1000h range so yeah it's quite a difficult load. Phase swings quite a bit as well.

But from the website the denon seems to be 1 ohm stable so that and the fact that your getting japanese build quality would be enough to sell me on them assuming the price is good :-)

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Those amps weigh in at 175 lbs each... more than my N802s.
                      B&W

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                        • Apr 2005

Thank you very much to all for the comments and info! ;x(

Comment

• audioqueso
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

I've listened to the PMA-S1 with B&W 805S. PO series are dedicated amps. PM series are integrated amp. Not the same devices, but I figure both are their high end of the spectrum, so there shouldn't be such a difference in sound. Either way, if it matters to you, I was very impressed. Very very transparent and smooth. The lower I went down the PM line, the more the music seemed to be a tad bit colored. My instant assumption was that most people buying Denon's flagship amp or integrated amp would be powering speakers of the same caliber and would want the music to be as pure and transparent as possible.

Though still focusing on the PMA line, don't mistake the Denon Premium line with the regular Denon AV receiver products. I really underestimated that line cause it was from Denon. In the past, I found Denon receivers to color the music too much. Sounded nice, but not true. However, the PMA-S1 sounded amazing real. So perhaps the PO-S1 would give the same performance. I know kind of out of line, but I hope that helps.
                          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by audioqueso
                            I've listened to the PMA-S1 with B&W 805S. PO series are dedicated amps. PM series are integrated amp. Not the same devices, but I figure both are their high end of the spectrum, so there shouldn't be such a difference in sound. Either way, if it matters to you, I was very impressed. Very very transparent and smooth. The lower I went down the PM line, the more the music seemed to be a tad bit colored. My instant assumption was that most people buying Denon's flagship amp or integrated amp would be powering speakers of the same caliber and would want the music to be as pure and transparent as possible.

Though still focusing on the PMA line, don't mistake the Denon Premium line with the regular Denon AV receiver products. I really underestimated that line cause it was from Denon. In the past, I found Denon receivers to color the music too much. Sounded nice, but not true. However, the PMA-S1 sounded amazing real. So perhaps the PO-S1 would give the same performance. I know kind of out of line, but I hope that helps.
                            That does help thank you audioqueso.

Comment

• dknightd
                              • Mar 2006

Nice amps - likely a better value than anything you can buy new. I'd try them first, but don't think you can go too far wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"