X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

B&W Goes Wireless

Check out the following article for an overview of the new B&W 'Liberty' system, which provides a 5.1 system of wireless, cable-free speakers based on the XT speaker range.

B&W Liberty Integrated Wireless Entertainment System
    Brad
  • rmht
    • Dec 2005

1....If you have to plug it in (AC)......it is not wireless.

2....Batteries and quality sound do not mix.

Comment

• Aldo
      • Sep 2005

Maybe it is more complicated to get the AC plugs than the speaker cable itself!

Comment

• btf1980
        • Aug 2007

I really don't like the direction B&W is going with some of their new products. First with the Ipod Zeppelin Dock, and now this, a glorified HTIB. What's next, Bose Acoustimass style speakers? Some things should be left alone for the "lesser" manufacturers.
        A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Pookie007
          • Apr 2006

Why don't batteries and sound quality mix? Don't you eliminate the noise with DC? It is wireless because it has a communication path that propagates the signal without a wire between the transmitter and receiver.

I don't know about the dealers in other areas, but the B&W dealer next to me makes less than 10% of their B&W speaker sales on the 800 series. Around 70% is generated by the speakers other than 800s and 700s.

I don't understand why, but they sold out of all the Zeppelins they had for Christmas. I watched in disbelief as a lady bought 2 (one for husband and one for dad).

Comment

• george_k
            • Jan 2004

I really don't like the direction B&W is going with some of their new products. First with the Ipod Zeppelin Dock, and now this, a glorified HTIB. What's next, Bose Acoustimass style speakers? Some things should be left alone for the "lesser" manufacturers.
            I sort of agree, I'm also not a fan of the VM series. I assume their strategy is to ensure there's a B&W product in all segments and at all price points and that makes sense to me on that front. But, at the same time I think it's diluting the "prestige" of the brand.

As an analogy imagine if BMW came out with a car priced at what a Honda Civic sells for, yes you get a car built by BMW but it isn't a "real" BMW from a connoisseur's perspective. The average joe might see it as "why should I pay $60,000 for a BMW when I can get one for $15,000"...it adds confusion to the consumers eyes.

This is part of the reason why some companies tend to release products that diverge from traditional products as a seperate brand (i.e. nissan vs infinity)

Just my thoughts...

Comment

• RobP
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by btf1980
              It all boils down to one thing, Profit.. which keeps a company moving forward.

IMO what B&W is doing is actually a very smart idea, entering an area that was once dominated by companies such as Bose will open up B&W's market. That will spell great things for R&D funds for further product development, which will be applied in the flagship models (800 series, ETC..) and will trickle down to other products.
              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• george_k
                • Jan 2004

That will spell great things for R&D funds for further product development
                That is assuming they spend those extra R&D dollars and company resources on what matters most to you and me...their upper end loudspeakers.

Their new product introductions require additional money to fund engineering efforts, marketing campaigns, equipment expenditures, additional staff, etc. All this requires money up front (money that they may not earn back from their new products right away)

The end result is that they may need to raise prices and/or lower product costs (e.g. additional outsourced manufacturing and low-cost components).

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by george_k
                  That is assuming they spend those extra R&D dollars and company resources on what matters most to you and me...their upper end loudspeakers.

Their new product introductions require additional money to fund engineering efforts, marketing campaigns, equipment expenditures, additional staff, etc. All this requires money up front (money that they may not earn back from their new products right away)

The end result is that they may need to raise prices and/or lower product costs (e.g. additional outsourced manufacturing and low-cost components).
                  True, very good point. Lets hope that they do turn some of that money back into R&D on the higher end products :T
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                    • Apr 2005

Lets not forget that this package costs about $15,000! - Hardly entry level.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

It has the FST midrange also - interesting - that would make the drivers an improvement over regular XTs

Oh well. I guess we have the b&W boom box already (zepplin) so why not. Active speakers are not inherently bad - not sure about losses from the wireless connection - maybe it is digital which means DAC in each speaker as well. I agree with posts above - if each speaker needs to be plugged in where is the benefit.
                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• DL86
                        • Sep 2005

You could send high power radio waves of different frequencies which correspond to the resonant frequency of the speaker. The radio waves would contain the source material modulated onto it. A circuit inside the speaker could be used to then filter the carrier wave and leave the source material intact thus leading to the speakers and crossovers. A different frequency for each channel could be used. would work much like a radio except higher power. If you can power a 60W light bulb 2m away, why can't you do the same with a speaker? Instead of wire inputs you would have antennas on your speakers LOL

Then you would have true wireless speakers.

MIT team experimentally demonstrates wireless power transfer, potentially useful for powering laptops, cell phones without cords

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"