X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Wireless router problem

I got a new wireless router for Christmas. Connecting it seemed to be less than seamless.

Here's my requirements.

1. Already had a "wired" LinkSys Router functioning fine.
    2. have 1 new Linksys wireless router and 2 cards for laptops.
    3. Tried using the uplink, which negates port 4 on the wired router to uplink to other router, and while I was able to access the wireless menu at 192.168.100.1.1 for the wireless while my desktop was connected to it, I could never get back to the wired router internet connection.
    4. I also tried a wireless card in a laptop with the hard wired one uplinked to the wireless router, while I was connected to the wireless router, was never able to access the internet.

Things I am uncertain of.
    1. device IP addresses for 2 routers, should I change one of them?
    2. Subnet mask, should they be different?

Any ideas the proper configuration here?

Should I go back to using a wired hub (not a router for wired part). If so, what is the proper technique for connecting wireless?

The user guide and the cheat sheet instruction sheet seemed to have some conflicting information on what to do. :roll:

Thanks,
    Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Ok, I'm assuming that you have the wired router connected to your cable modem, and then you're connecting the wireless router to the wired router? This should work, provided you configure things correctly.

First of all, is the wireless unit actually a router, or just a wireless access point (WAP)? Does it have multiple ports? If it's a router, with wired ports as well as wireless, have you tried using it alone, in place of the wired router?

You said the wireless has an IP of 192.168.100.1, right? What's the IP of the wired? They'll need to be different. How different, depends on whether the wireless actually is a router or not. Also, what is the subnet mask on the routers? Typically it'll be 255.255.255.0 for class C address ranges (which is what you're using).

Is the wired router using DHCP? In other words, are computers connected to the wired router getting an IP from the router, or did you assign fixed IP addresses? You can determine this by looking in the networking properties on your PC--it'll either be set to "Obtain an IP address automatically" (meaning it's using DHCP) or "Specify an IP address" (meaning it isn't).

If you know the IP of the wired router, the wireless router, and the cable modem, have you tried PINGing each IP, from the wireless PC? For example, can you ping 192.168.100.1? If you can, then the wireless card can talk to the wireless router. Can you ping the wired router's IP? If you can, you have connectivity at that level. And so forth and so on.

Have you changed any of the wireless settings, e.g. channel, ID, and encryption key? Once you're up and running, I'd set up WEP encryption to add security to your network.

Once I get answers to these questions, I can start steering you in the right direction!

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Ok, it is a 2.4 gHz wireless access point router. check.

Yes, wired router is connected to cable modem, which is connected to the hip bone. I would like to leave this configuration, take away port 4 (full all 4 ports) by using uplink, and plug one of the original 4 connections into the wireless. Leaving 3 empties for actual wireless devices.

I did try it alone, and it wasn't working, anti-check. The disc that comes with it, says to plug up "computer 1" to the modem directly, and run a step of the process on computer 1. However, this means the wireless 4 port router is disconnected completely. :?: , Linksys software would then know how to configure the router.

But the cheat sheet quick install doesn't say a thing about the installation disc, it just says what to do without it.

I tried changing the IP, last digit only, so one was 192.168.100..2 and the other 192.168.100.1. Didn't work.

DHCP is enabled on the old existing router. with starting IP addresses 192.168.1.100. On the computers, they are set to obtain IP address automatically, and obtain DNS server address automatically.

I can get to the configuration panels of the modem and existing router. But when I add the new one, not sure I can. First, we need to establish what the IPs and subnet masks need to be. true?

I tried changing 1 or 2 things, but always changed them back when it didn't work.

thanks!
      Lex
      Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
        Yes, wired router is connected to cable modem, which is connected to the hip bone. I would like to leave this configuration, take away port 4 (full all 4 ports) by using uplink, and plug one of the original 4 connections into the wireless. Leaving 3 empties for actual wireless devices.
        Actually, the empties are for wired devices; you can use many more than 3 wireless devices.
        I tried changing the IP, last digit only, so one was 192.168.100..2 and the other 192.168.100.1. Didn't work.
        Otay, here's what you should do. Connect the uplink port on the wired to the outbound port (the one you would typically connect a cable/dsl modem) on the wireless. Tell the wireless router to use DHCP. It'll be assigned an IP address by the wired router, a 192.168.1.100 or higher.

Set the wireless router's IP range to something other than 192.168.1.x. If the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, change the 3rd number of the IP; e.g. make it 192.168.2.x instead. Enable DHCP and NAT (IP translation) if necessary on the wireless. Now computers connected to the wired router will get IPs in the 192.168.1.x range; computers connected to the wireless router will get IPs in the 192.168.2.x range.

If you power down the routers, or have to reboot them, bring up the wired router first. It'll get an IP address from the cable modem, and then be available. Once the wired router is up, power up the wireless router so it can get an IP from the wired router.

To test everything: first, go to a computer that's connected to the wired router. Check its IP address; it should be 192.168.1.x. Confirm that it can access the internet. Connecting the wireless router should have no effect on computers connected to the wired router, other than using up a port.

Next, go to a computer connected to the wireless router (via a wired port). Check its IP address; it should be a 192.168.2.x. If you go into the wireless router's configuration page, it should tell you what IP was assigned to it by the wired router; this should be a 192.168.1.x address. Ping that address; it should respond. Try pinging the cable modem's address; it should respond. Finally, try accessing the internet. If all is well there, try from a computer connected via a wireless card. You should get the same results.

Lastly, is it possible to configure the wireless router to act as just a hub and not as a router? You don't really need two routers; the wired router can handle all routing and IP translation duties, while the wireless just acts as a hub for wired computers and a WAP for the wireless ones. This setup would be simpler, and will make file sharing possible between all your computers.

In fact, you may want to consider returning the wireless router and getting a WAP11 instead, since you already have a router. Or just use the wireless router and retire the wired one. If you need more wired ports, connect a hub to the uplink port, and connect computers to the hub.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Ok, I went and took the router back, bought a freekin WAMP11! I know, WAP11.

I have tried it connected to standard port of router, but cannot get internet access.

Router DHCP ACTIVE IP table shows the WAP-11 automatically assigned 192.168.1.102 My desktop, hardwired is 192.168.1.100

I tried manually setting the IP on the WAP-11, that didn't work. So, I went back in and set it automatically, and picked it back up in my active list.

The laptop says it see's "airlex" the SSID I set. But the wireless network connection status says it's sent 199 packets, but received none. I wonder if I have a bad card here?

But the instant wireless configuration utility says it's sent 33 bytes /second and received 589. Shows link quality 80% excellent.

I am flummoxed.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
          Doug

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
            I have tried it connected to standard port of router, but cannot get internet access.
            Have you tried pinging the router IP, and the cable modem IP? That'll tell you if you have basic connectivity. Also, have you enabled WEP encryption? If you have, make sure you have the key set the same on both the WAP11 and the laptop.
            Router DHCP ACTIVE IP table shows the WAP-11 automatically assigned 192.168.1.102 My desktop, hardwired is 192.168.1.100
            Does the laptop itself indicate that IP (102) when you do a ipconfig (NT/2000/XP) or winipcfg (95/98/ME)? If it doesn't, reboot and try again.
            I tried manually setting the IP on the WAP-11, that didn't work. So, I went back in and set it automatically, and picked it back up in my active list.
            The WAP11's IP is for the config utility to use. The laptop itself will be assigned its own IP through your router. The WAP11 is just acting as a pass through, it doesn't actually route, it's just a wireless switch.
            The laptop says it see's "airlex" the SSID I set. But the wireless network connection status says it's sent 199 packets, but received none. I wonder if I have a bad card here?
            Didn't you get two cards? Try the other one and see if it works. It's probably not the card, but a configuration issue with the laptop or the WAP11. Did you use the USB connection to set up the WAP11? Once it's initially set up, you can disconnect the USB and use the SNMP config utility over the ethernet.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Son of a gun. Finally, I said to hell with it, uninstalled the PCMCIA card (is that the right initials?) I left the card physicall installed, and the point to point on, and connected to router, I reinstalled the driver/software for the card on the laptop, and it worked! Right out of the box, no configuration necessary except setting the DHCP server number in my configuration panel for the point to point.

Geesh, talking about something easy being hard! LOL Ok, one more time. :banghead:

Here is the setup now:

Sony Picturebook with Clie':

Pictured with a remote and phone for size illustrations.

Lex
              Doug

Comment

• Eduardo
                Moderator emeritus
                • Jun 2002

Nice setup and good job.

I need a wireless AP and pcmcia card so I surf from the bedroom

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Thanks Eduardo. Your married, you should be doing other things while in there, lol.

I added a couple of other pics. Might have to sell my Palm Theater since this one does it all. Of course, it is 2 boxes though.

I think you get the idea, with Palm and Picturebook, I have all the info I need in either size box, both portable to the office.

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"