• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uncle_dito
    • Dec 2006

B&W804S and Rel Strata sub integration

Hi folks,
    Happy 2008 to all.

More than a year ago I asked for your advice to improve the bass response of my B&W804S system, with much good advice. :T

As many of you suggested, my ideal would be to get 803D, but I find it difficult to do due to their size .
    So I have recently bought a REL STRATA 5, which I have integrated both with my stereo (MF A1008, MF A5CD) and HT (Sony STRDA1200ES).

For setup, I have followed RelĀ“s advice to integrate as a subtle sub-bass system (therefore with crossover frequency around 36).

But I wonder, and this is where I would like your opinion:
    1. If I want to emulate 803S/D response, would you use a higher frecuency setup, at 76Hz for example (x2 B&W804S lower frequency of 38Hz)
    2. Is REL Strata 5 bass good enough for mixing with 804S at those higher frecuencies.
    3. At what frecuency have you setup your sub for stereo listening to emulate larger speakers?
    Many thanks for your comments.

PD: by the way, a year on after my previous post, I have to admit that with run-in (both B&W804S and MF1008 ) the bass response of the system has improved nicely. But I guess we are allways longing for more.
    Hi Fi: Audio Research VT.100mkIII, Reference 3, DAC8; Sony SCDXA5400ES; MF A1008 integrated (backup); B&W 803D (also used in HT setup); IXOS cables XHS553 (644 SPC4mm2 high purity silver speaker cable); Chord Digital Signature coaxial, Chord Optical Optichord; VDH C5 The Bay; MIT AVt 1 analogue interconnects; QNAP TS209 NAS; J River MC21
    HT:Sony STR-DA1200ES (Front Pre Out into Reference 3 HT input); Sony SAVE-835D speakers; Sony Blu ray BDP-5000ES; REL STRATA 5; QED Reference Digital audio
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Well you can see my preferred 2 channel solution in the attached photo.

I have posted elsewhere that the 804s in the configuration shown below can produce so much bass that a fellow hifi nerd suggested I should loose some. I was using his cables at the time (same brand as mine but really stupid dollar stuff)

This bass reponse was due to the cables and power cords I was using at the time (can't say which for obvious reasons). Currently my bass is ok rather than great. The power cable on my amp helped but my CD player is currently waiting for a decent power cable and the interconnect/speaker cable is not as efficient with the bass as the best I have used in my system. With the right ancillary gear 804s bass is tight and more than enough for my 3.7m by 6.5m room.
    Attached Files
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"