X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MM_2
    • Dec 2007

Just bought 683 and dented it...

I am new to the forum and have a question for you guys. I just picked up a pair of the 683's and while I was setting it up I removed the from grill and my hand pushed in the silver cone. I tried to pop it out but it just made it worse...

Will this come out on its own or any ideas how to get it to pop back out?

Thanks.
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

double stick tape, and pull? Gum? lol
    B&W

Comment

• MM_2
      • Dec 2007

I tried the tape but had no luck, it wasn't sticky enough. I might go and buy some stronger tape and give it a try.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

On most B&W's, the tweeter diaphragm is a separate (and inexpensive) part of the tweeter. Might call and ask how much a replacement would be.

Kevin D.

Comment

• akhter
          • Jun 2005

my friend did the same with his 604s3 and i used 3m tape to tape over it and pull gently. works fine.

Comment

• joetama
            • May 2006

I dented my tweeter on my 601S3.

Well actually my girlfriend dented it, but if the Series 4 is anything like the tweeter on the S3 if you take the tweeter apart (3 screws IIRC) you can pull out the aluminum cone.

Gently, and I do mean gently, push on the back side of the tweeter metal and work the dent out of the cone.

If it isn't the tweeter, if it is the woofer, and the tape doesn't work try using a sweeper. Sometimes the suction can pull dents out of metal cones.

Just remembered something else. If it is in the tweeter and you take it apart B&W uses ferrofluid to cool the tweeter. Try to not get it on your hands, it is messy and rather toxic.
            -Joe

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MM_2
              I am new to the forum and have a question for you guys. I just picked up a pair of the 683's and while I was setting it up I removed the from grill and my hand pushed in the silver cone. I tried to pop it out but it just made it worse...

Will this come out on its own or any ideas how to get it to pop back out?

Thanks.
              You said cone. Is it the tweeter or one of the woofers that you dented?

Eric

Comment

• miner
                • Mar 2005

Try using a drinking straw to create suction to be able to pull dent out. I had luck with this on a JBL tweeter once.

Comment

• MM_2
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                  You said cone. Is it the tweeter or one of the woofers that you dented?

Eric
                  It is the tweeter, the silver cone part.

I am going to give the tape another try, I tried to push in on the sides but it just made it worse...the speakers were less then an hour old when I dented it but they do sound a 100x better then my LM1's I had before.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"