X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toby
    • Dec 2007

Advice on a Preamp to go with Krell 2250

I have B&W 803 and recently purchased a krell 2250 amp. The Krell 280-p preamp sounded really good but I didnt feel that it had the luster in the mids and highs I was wanting to hear. Wondering what preamps might be a good match within around $3K to $4K range to bring out more of the mids and highs?
  • Pedro
    • Jan 2006

Wowwww... The one of the first persons who talk that Krell KAV didnt shine so much at highs

What speakers have you listen with them?? 803S or 803D??

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

Or are they Nautilus 803's?

Eric

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by Pedro
        Wowwww... The one of the first persons who talk that Krell KAV didnt shine so much at highs

What speakers have you listen with them?? 803S or 803D??
        HI,
        I agree to a point. I have a Krell KAV-280p pre driving a Krell KAV-3250 power amp which drives 805S's which has the same tweeter as the OP's if he has the S version. But even the D version sounds very similar. The 3250 is the three chanel version of the 2250. They sound identical.

I read the forum posts stating that Krell's sound bright. I just don't agree. I think they are among the most honest and neutral sounding components I have heard and I have heard many. I have NEVER read that they sound dull or rolled off. I certainly don't think so.

I am forced to conclude that either Toby has hearing damage (very possible if he is young or old) or the speakers he demoed the pre with are themselves rolled off. I don't think it is the preamp.

I have found the KAV-280p to be a wonderful preamp and I feel you would have a hard time beating it until you go to tubes. With some exceptions, tubes will give an even softer sound than solid state.

But if you really are hearing rolled off highs you should try to compensate with speakers rather than with the electronics. Speakers give you a much broader range of tonal choices.

Sparky

Comment

• Pedro
          • Jan 2006

Hello,

Ive just asked to Toby cause i've listened the 803D with Krell FPB series, and it just blow me away. BUT when heard 804S with krell KAV with was a little shine at the highs, but was the first time i heard better bass from 804S wich is known not having good bass as reported by many reviews

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"