X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dinyaar
    • Aug 2006

upgrade from the 603

Hi to all. My current set up is a Nad c542 cd , Rotel RC 1070 pre and The Rotel RB 1080 power amp driving the 603 s. Now i feeeeeel the need to upgrade the speakers to either a 705 or 805 s. Reason for drifting towards stand mounts is the tiny room i now have for the above set up.
    What do u guys think would be the best option? Should i try the newly launched 685? Also whats the price of the 805S? Here in bombay, India they retail for about 3500 USD equivalent.
    Thanks in advance.
  • sandalsocks
    • Aug 2007

you gotta listen to them all sound quite different. The 805s are now $2800 USD as there was just a price increase. The 805s is just amazing b/c of the clarity and soundstage. Don't forget to try out the cm1 as they sit in between the 685 and 705 in price.

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dinyaar
      Hi to all. My current set up is a Nad c542 cd , Rotel RC 1070 pre and The Rotel RB 1080 power amp driving the 603 s. Now i feeeeeel the need to upgrade the speakers to either a 705 or 805 s. Reason for drifting towards stand mounts is the tiny room i now have for the above set up.
      What do u guys think would be the best option? Should i try the newly launched 685? Also whats the price of the 805S? Here in bombay, India they retail for about 3500 USD equivalent.
      Thanks in advance.
      In Australia they are $5,000 AU - thats $4400 US at current rates. US has cheaper B&W prices than elsewhere, probably due to volume sales.

As a 705 owner the 805 sounded like a grown up version of the same speaker. 805 is 5 times the price of the 685 here. As you go up the price range the bang for buck is reduced but you will get a better sound. 705 will not be to all peoples taste but mine work great as my surrounds. 805 is pretty much a sure bet to keep you happy if you can stretch that far.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

I'd uprade the preamp before I'd change the speakers. The RC-1070 is an okay preamp, but the RC-1082 is MUCH better. If you can, try to listen to one in your system before you get new speakers. I know you can get more music out of the DM603's with a better preamp.

Eric

Comment

• dinyaar
          • Aug 2006

upgrade from the 603 s 3

Hi again, Am sure there are better pre amps available though i have not heard the one u mention. My reason for the change is also the space i now have for my stereo set up which is much smaller than the 12 X 14 living room it was in earlier.
          Will keep the electronics upgrade for later.
          What do u guys think of the new 600 series bookshelf. The dealer here says its very close to the 805 at a third of the price. I heard it along with the 705 and i love the 805s then i liked the 685 and my last preference was the 705.
          having said that it was a hurried listening session so i will need to go back and make a decision.Thanks again.

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi
            I'd uprade the preamp before I'd change the speakers. The RC-1070 is an okay preamp, but the RC-1082 is MUCH better. If you can, try to listen to one in your system before you get new speakers. I know you can get more music out of the DM603's with a better preamp.

Eric
            Hi Eric,

I'm an RC-1070 owner and I'm planning to buy an RC-1082 when they finally reach New Zealand in a few weeks time. I am interested to know the reasons why you think the RC-1082 is MUCH better. I'm also interested to know how you rate the RC-1082 compared to other preamps that you are familiar with.

Many thanks.

Nigel.

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by bigburner
              Hi Eric,

I'm an RC-1070 owner and I'm planning to buy an RC-1082 when they finally reach New Zealand in a few weeks time. I am interested to know the reasons why you think the RC-1082 is MUCH better. I'm also interested to know how you rate the RC-1082 compared to other preamps that you are familiar with.

Many thanks.

Nigel.
              Nigel,

Keep in mind the RC-1082 is more than twice the price of the the RC-1070 so it should be better.

What I felt were the differences was the RC-1070 is a brighter and harder sound than the RC-1082. I thought the RC-1070 was choking the music and has a smaller, and less deep, soundstage. Bass was also more detailed. It didn't sound like it played that much deeper, it was just more detailed and had better pace. Lastly, the midrange is more relaxed and has an ease about it through the RC-1082. Again the RC-1070 sounded like things were being choked and has less life. The RC-1070 isn't bad, it just not as good as the RC-1082.

Eric

Comment

• george_k
                • Jan 2004

I was in the same dilemma a few months ago, I had outgrown my 603's and was thinking of either getting CM7 or 805's based on my budget.

I was really impressed with the 805's but I just couldn't justify forking over $900 (CDN) for the stands. The price of the speakers and stands included was very close to the price of the 703's so I opted for those instead and benefited for the additional bass output.

I'm now looking to sell my sub as I don't feel I need the extra bass.

I know your looking for stand mounts but for the price you might be pleasantly surprised by the CM7's

Comment

• Tommy
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by george_k
                  I was in the same dilemma a few months ago, I had outgrown my 603's and was thinking of either getting CM7 or 805's based on my budget.

I was really impressed with the 805's but I just couldn't justify forking over $900 (CDN) for the stands. The price of the speakers and stands included was very close to the price of the 703's so I opted for those instead and benefited for the additional bass output.

I'm now looking to sell my sub as I don't feel I need the extra bass.

I know your looking for stand mounts but for the price you might be pleasantly surprised by the CM7's
                  I have black stands from the 600 series for my 805S. They work fine :T

Comment

• dinyaar
                    • Aug 2006

603 upgrade

Hi to all,
                    Thanks for the feedback.George i really like the 703 s but i just cant fit a floorstander in my current set up. Congratulations on ur purchase and hope the upgrade bug doesn't bite u soon. I am in the process of selling my 603 s and also listening to a few speakers from other manufacturers.(Dyna,Focal) before i go buy the 805 s. Here in India there are individuals who make great speaker stands on order and i have a lovely pair with me for many years which i intend to use for whatever stand mount i opt for.Regards.

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                      Nigel,

Keep in mind the RC-1082 is more than twice the price of the the RC-1070 so it should be better.

What I felt were the differences was the RC-1070 is a brighter and harder sound than the RC-1082. I thought the RC-1070 was choking the music and has a smaller, and less deep, soundstage. Bass was also more detailed. It didn't sound like it played that much deeper, it was just more detailed and had better pace. Lastly, the midrange is more relaxed and has an ease about it through the RC-1082. Again the RC-1070 sounded like things were being choked and has less life. The RC-1070 isn't bad, it just not as good as the RC-1082.

Eric
                      Thanks Eric.

Is there another preamp that you would buy instead of the RC-1082 for the same money?

Nigel.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by bigburner
                        Thanks Eric.

Is there another preamp that you would buy instead of the RC-1082 for the same money?

Nigel.
                        Nigel,

I haven't listened to other preamps in that price range in quite a while. The business we do at my store is mostly home theater and home integration so two channel systems don't get sold that often. The only lines I have that offer separates are Rotel and Classe so I don't have much experience with other brands current products.

Eric

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

OK, thank you Eric.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"