X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george_k
    • Jan 2004

Anybody compare 705 vs 685?

I'm thinking trading in my existing system and going with possibly a pair of 705's or 685's has anybody listened to both?
  • len73
    • Jan 2005

Hello,

I didn't compare 705 vs 685, but CM1 vs 685.

I was looking for the CM1, and my dealer also had the 685 ready for a demo. After 30min of listening (electronic was Rotel 06 series amp (RA-05 + RCD-06)), the choice was clear : CM1.

The 685 sounded more open and therefore much bigger than the CM1. But the precision and the details produced by the CM1 were simply much much better ! The sensivity of both speakers is also quite different : while playing quite lound on the 685, the switch to the CM1 gave me the impression as if the volume had been reduced by 30%...

Now, considering the fact that the CM1 is just below the 705 in the B&W's range, I strongly suppose the 705 to be, by far, better than the 685.

But never forget : listen up these speakers by yourself ! Only your ears can decide for you !

Hope this help...

Cheers,

Len

Comment

• jack667
      • Jul 2007

It kind of depends what you're after. The new 600 series still (unsurprisingly) sound like the previous S3 version, just far more detailed, and less boomy in the bass. I listened to the 685s, Epos M12s, Quad 11+12L2s and 705s and decided to go with the 685s as they seemed to have the best sound over all across different genres of music. Perhaps the 705s are more detailed, but the 685s are definitely extremely good for the money, so I couldn't justify the extra cash, when I couldn't see a huge improvement in sound between them.

Of course, the build on the 705s is much nicer, but I suppose that won't bother too many people in this price range!

I think B&W have some work to do now, as the 600 series is surprisingly good, and perhaps a little too close in quality to the now dated 700 series. Even Hi-Fi Choice stated that the floor standing 683 is almost unmatched price-wise for quality and openness.

I cannot comment on the CM series, but the bass response isn't going to be too big from a 5" driver and small enclosure, so best suited to small rooms.

I guess you can only judge by your ears!

Good luck!
      B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• Ashram
        • May 2007

Originally posted by len73
        Hello,

I didn't compare 705 vs 685, but CM1 vs 685.

I was looking for the CM1, and my dealer also had the 685 ready for a demo. After 30min of listening (electronic was Rotel 06 series amp (RA-05 + RCD-06)), the choice was clear : CM1.

The 685 sounded more open and therefore much bigger than the CM1. But the precision and the details produced by the CM1 were simply much much better ! The sensivity of both speakers is also quite different : while playing quite lound on the 685, the switch to the CM1 gave me the impression as if the volume had been reduced by 30%...

Now, considering the fact that the CM1 is just below the 705 in the B&W's range, I strongly suppose the 705 to be, by far, better than the 685.

But never forget : listen up these speakers by yourself ! Only your ears can decide for you !

Hope this help...

Cheers,

Len
        I am interested by your experiment!

I have 801d with before and of the small enclosures of replacement for the back.

I would like to put 805S (or SCMS) in surrounds but I am ruined…

I thus thought of 685 or many CM1 (which I adored with listening).

what do you think about it?

the 685 with largest woofer would not be better to hold the rate of my before (even if it is not yet enough…)

Comment

• Zoran
          • Apr 2005

It's somewhat bizare to expect that 685 might come closer to 705 in overall performance, beyond the money/quality ratio... B&W surely would not arrange a "funeral" for certain product (705) unveiling a new product which performs better for much less money (685).

This would be insane in terms of normal corporative policy.

Even not listened 685 yet, I think Len's observations well reflect the 685 nature and level of performance.

Verdict? Easy - buy more expensive (as far as you can/want) within a brand, cause each manufacturer designs upper series in logicaly sized increments of improvement. I've never heard of otherwise...

Comment

• jack667
            • Jul 2007

I never said it performed better, but the extra price difference doesn't justify enough, unless you are bothered about the finish. All you can do is listen to them before you judge, I'm going by my own first hand experience, having listened to both speakers in an A/B set up.

B&W knows they need to reclaim the budget market, and they have really outperformed any competition.

Comment

• WI Rotel
              • Jul 2006

The new 6 series seems to use the same or very similar drivers to the Xt series. The main difference is the tweeter on top and the Xt's better cabinet construction. I would thus expect very similar sound except in the areas of coloration and "spacioness". The 6 series is probably a little more dynamic and more of a "rocker" to cater to a wider audience.

Comment

• Shyamalan
                • Sep 2006

Do you think the 685 would work fine as sorrounds for the 804S?

Comment

• Zoran
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Shyamalan
                  Do you think the 685 would work fine as sorrounds for the 804S?
                  It would be unusual combination - like dark sofisticated Armani outerwear with chipy chinesse socks... :P

Comment

• hifiguymi
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Zoran
                    It would be unusual combination - like dark sofisticated Armani outerwear with chipy chinesse socks... :P
                    I wouldn't go that far. :lol:

I do agree that it's not the best match. I would look more to the 700 Series if the 800 Series is not possible. You would have a much better rear sound stage with the 700 Series if you have 800 Series up front.

Eric

Comment

• jjahshik32
                      • Sep 2007

Today I went to my local b & w store to exchange my 602 s3's for a 685's but to my surprise the 685's build quality was poorer than the 602 s3 so I was very disappointed. The 685 is so much smaller and when I took the top off the rubber and the build quality looked crappy to me and the 602 s3 seemed much more solid. The 602 s3 had much better sound compared to the 685, the midrange on the 685 sounded a bit better than the 602 s3's but its high's were too bright and did not blend in well with the midrange. The bass was lacking a bit as well. To me the 602 s3's was much more powerful as a whole speaker than the 685's, the 685 seemed like a huge step backwards. Also the 685's just seemed misaligned as a whole sound and the 602 s3's had a very overall neutral sound with nice bass and very powerful for its class! To me the 685 sounded much worse than the 602 s3.

But I did end up listening to the 705 and wow this little speaker blew me away. Everything, mids, highs, bass was perfect! The bass had great punch without it being overly deep and the highs and treble was excellent!! It was so crystal clear, some might say its slightly barely bright but its a good thing, u can hear more detail. Also the mids were clear as well. I even compared the 683 floor stand speakers as well those were very good too. But the 705 still blew the 683 out of the water!! The 705 is in a totally different league compared to all the 600 series~! so I ended up taking the 705's home and never looked back! I even compared the 705's to the 805's and I didnt see much a difference, and for the price 705's are a bit expensive but I think its so close to the 805's that its the sweet spot in the b&w series =D

Comment

• jjahshik32
                        • Sep 2007

But I did end up listening to the 705 and wow this little speaker blew me away. Everything, mids, highs, bass was perfect! The bass had great punch without it being overly deep and the highs and treble was excellent!! It was so crystal clear, some might say its slightly barely bright but its a good thing, u can hear more detail. Also the mids were clear as well. I even compared the 683 floor stand speakers as well those were very good too. But the 705 still blew the 683 out of the water!! The 705 is in a totally different league compared to all the 600 series~! so I ended up taking the 705's home and never looked back! I even compared the 705's to the 805's and I didnt see much a difference, and for the price 705's are a bit expensive but I think its so close to the 805's that its the sweet spot in the b&w series =D[/QUOTE]

Lol I take that back I exchanged for an 805s which is far superior.. but the 705 is the sweet spot for money/quality though.. but I just fell in love with the 805's tweeters =D

Comment

• kobestonecold
                          • Sep 2007

705 still blew the 683 out of the water!!
                          Hey man. Do you really think so? Why. Please tell me. I might going after 705 tomorrow if my wife say yes..... :T

Comment

• jack667
                            • Jul 2007

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more - the 683 is a completely different speaker for starters - overall enjoyment, at no loss of detail or resolution - the 683 is a far better speaker than the 705.

Comment

• kobestonecold
                              • Sep 2007

Ummm. so what should i get? 683 or 705 man.. this is a hard decision.

Comment

• jack667
                                • Jul 2007

Depends on room size, taste, requirements etc

683 provides room shaking bass and a high level of detail for a speaker of this price. It also includes an FST driver for midrange, which is crazy at this price.

The 705 is a fine stand mount, but will benefit from adding a sub.

My advice is to compare side by side with your favourite music/movies and decide which sound you prefer as they are very different.

By the time you've added a sub and stands to the 705s, it will work out quite a bit more expensive, and perhaps you'd be better suited with a pair of 703s.

Comment

• george_k
                                  • Jan 2004

By the time you've added a sub and stands to the 705s, it will work out quite a bit more expensive, and perhaps you'd be better suited with a pair of 703s.
                                  Well, I have a sub (Paradigm Servo-15 v2) but still went with the 703's :-)

2.1 for movies
                                  2.0 for music

Couldn't be happier...but the upgrade bug will strike again just don't know when.

Comment

• jack667
                                    • Jul 2007

We're talking about a substantial upgrade over the 705s to your set up.

In England the 705s are £900, and the 703s are £2000 - more than twice the price.

The 683s are also £900 over here, and really don't sound far off from what the 703 is capable of.

Comment

• dknightd
                                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by george_k
                                      Well, I have a sub (Paradigm Servo-15 v2) but still went with the 703's :-)

2.1 for movies
                                      2.0 for music

Couldn't be happier...but the upgrade bug will strike again just don't know when.
                                      Nice choice

Comment

• kobestonecold
                                        • Sep 2007

Well. I just got myself a pair of B&W 705 and let me tell you this it is better than 683 but not 703. I did the side by side comparison between 703, 705 and 683.

683 clarity and brightness is not in the same league as 705 man. I am using separate sub woofer as well so no problem here.

Real wood vs. vinyl wood (no contest there)
                                        England vs. China (I know the quality is still there but...u know china)
                                        The gave me %30 off on these. DAMN

I am a happy man now.

Comment

• Ted
                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by kobestonecold
                                          Well. I just got myself a pair of B&W 705 and let me tell you this it is better than 683 but not 703. I did the side by side comparison between 703, 705 and 683.

683 clarity and brightness is not in the same league as 705 man. I am using separate sub woofer as well so no problem here.

Real wood vs. vinyl wood (no contest there)
                                          England vs. China (I know the quality is still there but...u know china)
                                          The gave me %30 off on these. DAMN

I am a happy man now.
                                          You might get a lot of opinions both ways about that. However, YOU are happy and that is what really matters the most for you! Congrats on your purchase! 30% sounds like a great deal too. Sit back, relax, and wait until they are more broken in, they'll only get better! Oh, and you're right, the real wood is beautiful! :W
                                          Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Ted
                                            You might get a lot of opinions both ways about that. However, YOU are happy and that is what really matters the most for you! Congrats on your purchase! 30% sounds like a great deal too. Sit back, relax, and wait until they are more broken in, they'll only get better! Oh, and you're right, the real wood is beautiful! :W
                                            Bingo..!!!

It's a no lose situation.. just go listen and demo (1/2 hour later) you're good...

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                              • Sep 2007

I told you kobestonecold that the 705>683. I dont doubt the 683 for its price is a very nice set of speakers but in my opinion the 705 were just much better overall, pretty sure there's a reason why its a 7 series as to the lower 6.

The 683 has more bass but it felt like a step behind the 705 or even 2 steps without bass to me. And the 705 were just a step or two behind the 805s =D I love those tweeters aka microphones that just chills =D
                                              I owned the 705's for a good 3 days before exchanging to the 805s (just had to get them) but when I had it in those 3 days those were bad ass speakers I love the way they look too.

Comment

• kobestonecold
                                                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by jjahshik32
                                                I told you kobestonecold that the 705>683. I dont doubt the 683 for its price is a very nice set of speakers but in my opinion the 705 were just much better overall, pretty sure there's a reason why its a 7 series as to the lower 6.

The 683 has more bass but it felt like a step behind the 705 or even 2 steps without bass to me. And the 705 were just a step or two behind the 805s =D I love those tweeters aka microphones that just chills =D
                                                I owned the 705's for a good 3 days before exchanging to the 805s (just had to get them) but when I had it in those 3 days those were bad ass speakers I love the way they look too.
                                                Yeah. you are right my friend. I read your comment that you said it blew all 600 series out of water. You were right man. The new 600 series look cheap as well. Bye for now.

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"