X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BassThatHz
    • Jul 2006

B&W N803 Personal Review

First off FedEx or the original owner (more likely) busted the tweeter enclosure, the main bigger black part where it connects to the iso-gel, luckly no damage was done to anything else (drivers etc), its all superficial. I can repair it myself with industrial-strength super glue; perhaps I will take some pictures of the tube in case anyone is morbidly wondering what it looks like underneath...

Anyhow, I've had it for maybe 5 hours now and the first thing I noticed was that it consumes a lot more power than my Athena AS-F1.2's, I am going to guess about 60% more given the number of drivers and sensitivity difference.

The second thing I noticed was that "to my ears" it sounds better than what I recall the 804S ever sounding like, maybe my dealer was using a new set or their room acoustics is awful. Vocals sound natural, not bright for example listen to: Zero 7 - Somersault, 4 Strings - Diving, Fergie - Glamarous or Joan Armatrading - D.N.A if that doesn't test how bright a voice can be for a mid driver then I don't know what is... Enya - The sun in the streams or Imogen Heap - Sleep would also be a good test for a mid driver.

The kevlar bass is not as tight as the rohacell, but at the same time doesn't sound like its over-trying like the 804S's do. I guess the extra cabinet space in the 803 does help, that or crossovers and b&w's secret sauce. :lol:

The soundstage width and depth etc, sounds about the same to me... big :T
    There is nowhere in my room you can walk to where it doesn't still sound really good.

I am not even going to get into comparing it to the Athena's or 703 and lower, it would not be a fair comparision; even my cat likes the audio room now... enough said
  • joetama
    • May 2006

Awesome man.

I would like to know what is in that B&W Secret Sauce...:T
    -Joe

Comment

• RobP
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Congrats on your "new" N803's! I have a pair of those, so I now the feeling! I found that adding a pair of Sound Anchor stands really tightened up the bass on mine. What are your upstream components?
      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• BassThatHz
        • Jul 2006

If this isn't a good reason to buy new, I don't know what is...
        I never knew it was made of plastic until this.

Comment

• BassThatHz
          • Jul 2006

Fixed it, almost like new now.

->What are your upstream components?
          Nothing special, just Rotel RMB-1075, Yamaha RX-V2500 (pure direct), X-Fi (bit-perfect).

The yamaha will be the next thing to go...

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

I have often wondered how much that plastic housing resonates, and what effect it could have.
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Nice job BTH! :T Curious how did you slip the cover off?
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• joetama
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                I have often wondered how much that plastic housing resonates, and what effect it could have.
                Interesting... That would be something to play with...
                -Joe

Comment

• sikoniko
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

I would bet it was FedEx. I sold a pair of 804N's on ebay. UPS farked them.
                  I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• BassThatHz
                    • Jul 2006

The front part of the cover rotates like a bottle cap about 10-15 degrees left and pulls off forward (towards the front), there is nothing keeping the tweeter/front cover together in there except the wires, I didn't see any screws or glue.

The nautilus tube is isolated in the back with a small o-ring. The back cover pushes off backwards and I wouldn't recommend taking that part off because you will have a heck of a time putting it back on, if not completely hooping the big iso-gel pad at the bottom in the process.

The nautilus tube is glued to the back of the magnet and doesn't come off.

I did a bit of testing into the cabinet resonance and 99% of it is due to the bass drivers, not the mid or tweeter. I am actually a bit surprised at the amount of resonance, I thought the matrix/acoustic stuffing in combination with the 1 inch curved surface would be almost nill, but that does not appear to be the case; 200-500hz seems to be a difficult range to dampen I guess.

Comment

• chin kwan
                      • Jul 2006

I am from BC too.... I am using Denon 5910 driving Levinson 38S Pre to Levinson 23.5. Cabling is Harmonix HS101 IC from source to pre then Levinson HPC from Pre to Pwr and finally Levinson CPC Spk Wire to N803.. Using N803 as well.. Find that they are very difficult to place.. Currently have them 8 feet apart and 5 feet from the back wall, toed in directly to the listener.. Any ideas on placement??

Comment

• RobP
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by BassThatHz
                        I did a bit of testing into the cabinet resonance and 99% of it is due to the bass drivers, not the mid or tweeter. I am actually a bit surprised at the amount of resonance, I thought the matrix/acoustic stuffing in combination with the 1 inch curved surface would be almost nill, but that does not appear to be the case; 200-500hz seems to be a difficult range to dampen I guess.
                        Did you happen to feel this transfer to the tweeter housing? I noticed the same on mine sometime back and felt the resonance in the housing itself, I know that the membrane they use is supposed to dampen the housing, but it does not eliminate it completely. I would like to see if it does have any ill effects on the upper frequency's, maybe some mass added to the tweeter housing may help? I am sure that B&W may have taken these things in to account, but not knowing for sure peaks my curiosity.
                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RobP
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by chin kwan
                          I am from BC too.... I am using Denon 5910 driving Levinson 38S Pre to Levinson 23.5. Cabling is Harmonix HS101 IC from source to pre then Levinson HPC from Pre to Pwr and finally Levinson CPC Spk Wire to N803.. Using N803 as well.. Find that they are very difficult to place.. Currently have them 8 feet apart and 5 feet from the back wall, toed in directly to the listener.. Any ideas on placement??

How far away is your listening position from the speakers?
                          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• chin kwan
                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                            How far away is your listening position from the speakers?
                            13 wide room, 21 deep..

Placed on the long side.. 13 feet away.. i.e. 5 feet from front wall is the speaker, 18 feet is my sofa from the front wall..

Have never played with tilt either.. I have use levelling ruler to ensure my Sound Anchor N803 stands are dead flat relative to the ground before placing the N803s on them.. Too many things to tinker with.. haven't got to playing with tilt yet...

Comment

• BassThatHz
                              • Jul 2006

I have been in the process of moving since I took the pictures, so I haven't had an internet connection in some time.

I currently have it located in a new multi-purpose bedroom/office 13x14.5x8ft (excluding bathroom and walk-in closet)

I am now 8ft 5" away, with the fronts placed 8ft 1" apart, 7" from front wall. On the long-side, no tilt, tweeter at ear level. I have my HGS-10 up front now 14" left of center, CHT-15 is in back 21" right of center.

I have tried bi-amping the N803 and have found a nice improvement in doing so. The highs are cleaner and more natural sounding, same with the bass with a bit extra kick. I am guesstimating +1-2db overall, its close enough that I wouldn't want to test ABX.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"