X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Algoods
    • Nov 2007

802 D break in time

What's the average break-in time for a new pair of 802D's.
    I've heard 100 to several hunderd hours.

I've run them for 48 hours so far and they sound pretty good so far.

AL
  • Rosso_Corsa
    • Nov 2007

My salesman tells me the tweeter and mids break in quickly, about 15 hrs will do it. The woofers take much longer, he says, up to 400-600 hours to be fully broken in. He says that B&W will not demo a pair of speakers in public until the woofers have had at least 150 hours on them.

This is what he tells me. I'm finding that my new 803Ds are very lean on bass right now. I don't know whether I need a better amp or they're just breaking in.

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Breaking in is a funny process. My amp sounded very warm, the 804s started out kind of dark and the CD player sound like part of the music was missing. In each case it took about a month of regular use before sounding like the demo gear and the "missing bits" returned to the CD player.

There will also be an adjustment on your part as well. This requires listening time and is part of the reason why A B blind tests are flawed in my opinion. I put it down to our brains focusing on aspects of the sound, those that grab our attention. That initial reaction will pass and you start to hear the more subtle aspects of the sound which can ultimately sway your opinion one way or the other. Thats just an opinion of course.

Nice speakers by the way. I'll get mine just as soon as I win lotto.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Algoods
        • Nov 2007

I'm at 240 hours now and they're sounding real good. They really smoothed out after 100 hours. I was going to take them to 300 hours but I think I will go for 400 hours.

Comment

• RNKC
          • Jun 2005

The more the merrier! My N802 are old by now, but they still sound better the more I listen.

Oddly, after a few days of non-use (vacation etc) they sound a bit stiff but they loosen up quite a bit after a couple of hours.

Comment

• chin kwan
            • Jul 2006

Yup.. I agree.. After several days of use, it sounds different.. I don't know how much it's the amplification and source stabilizing and how much can be attributed to the speakers.. I find my N803 more finicky then previous B&Ws that I have owned.. Maybe they are resolution??

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"