iTrip FM modulator for iPod MP3 Player (review)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

iTrip FM modulator for iPod MP3 Player (review)

I just obtained the Griffin Technologies iTrip FM modulator that allows a MP3 player to transmit it songs to any FM radio. Although there are many FM modulaters on the market for MP3 players, the unique thing about the Griffin Technologies is it looks to be an extension of the iPod line and looks as if it could have been made by Apple itself. It even comes packaged simularly like the iPod. As well the iTrip does not require external power and draws power from the iPod. The iTrip allows you to select from over 100 stations on which to broadcast, these stations are loaded as a play list into the iPod. The tuner is a digital tuner and not analog like so many others. Maximum range is said to be about 30 feet.

Here is the wrapped package

Contents are iTrip module, software CD and instruction manual.

Front of iTrip, this module is for the older iPod. The lug on the left serves no purpose other than to aid mounting of the iTrip by stablizing it in the firewire port. If charging or external power is required via the firewire port, the iTrip can be mounted slightly off set, with the lug out of the iPod's firewire port.

Back side

Sides have a grippy rubber

After installation of the software all that is required is a syncronization with Music Match Jukebox and your ready to go.

Here it is transmitting, note the very cool blue LED during transmission

Set up of the iTrip is very easy. First the included CD must be installed onto your PC/Mac. After that a syncronization is all that is required to load the tuning frequencies in to the iPod. The default freq. is 87.9 however it can be easily changed to any of the more than 100 channels through the iPods menu playlist.

So how does it sound??? Well, it's not reference material and is very dependant on the MP3 source and quality of your FM tuner or broadcast. While I found some MP3's sounded terrible compared to the head phones, others were surprizingly clean for a FM transmission. I think due to the nature of an already reduced audio quality of a 128-192kbs MP3, compounded with the added limitation of a FM signal, really makes this more for background music rather than critical listening.

I tested the unit in my car stereo and while I was sitting in a quiet garage with the car parked, I was slightly disapointed in the audio quality overall. However when I took the car on the road, it was not as bad and actually sounded decent at times. There seems to be distorsion at the higher and lower ends of the freq. spectrum on a lot of my MP3's, which aren't there when I listen to them on my earphones, or when played through anything other than FM modulation. I think an actual line-in input is the real ticket over this.

I plug my iPod into my PC's Klipsch MP3/Line-in and it sounds near CD quality, however the FM modulation is audibly inferiour..... The iTrip does work in a pinch though. I found it sounded slightly better overall with Bass Reduction EQ enabled on the iPod. Also a balance has to be set between the iPods volume level to match the FM tuner. 40% to 80% is the recommened range. Over all it a worthwhile purchase, however expectations do have to be lowered

:5: Build Quality
    :5: Packaging
    :45: Instructions
    :5: Ease of installation
    :25: to :3: Sound Quality, dependant on MP3 and many other factors (encoding, material...etc)

Price $35.00

Specifications
    • Compact Size: 2.4" x .84"
    • Built-in antenna
    • Power Requirement: None (it's powered by the iPod)
    • Modulation: FM Stereo
    • Frequencies: 87.7 - 107.9 MHz
    • High stability crystal oscillator, phase-lock loop control
    • Stereo separation: greater than 45 dB
    • Signal distortion: less than .5%
    • Frequency response: 50 Hz to 15 kHz
    • Operating range: 10-30 feet, depending on the quality of the FM radio receiver (limited by FCC regulations)
    • FCC compliant
    • International frequencies software selectable

Bing
    Bing
  • Jehan
    • Aug 2000

Thanks for the detailed review Bing, nice to see pictures of the thing in action too. Asthetically it looks great, but as suspected the sound quality isn't up to what we'd like it seems. Still for the price it seems to be the most unobtrusive solution available for the moment - I think I'll order one

Thanks!

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

Great reveiw Bing, thanks!

I've been unhappy with my cassette adapter method for playing my iPod in the car. I wanted to get the iTrip but I've heard too many varrying reviews thus far.

Do you have any issues with station lock-on? That is, does it fade as you drive forcing you to change frequencies?

Do you have any experience with cassette adapters? If so, can you compare the sound quality versus the iTrip?

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Sili, I noticed some drift with the default station freq. of 87.9. I then set it to 103.1 and it's been soild. I haven't driven downtown with it yet to see how it responds to lots of buildings.

Sound quality over a cassette adapter is much improved, but as Jehan noted, not up to what we are use to through the earphones or a direct line-in. I don't think it's a fault of the iTrip, rather it's the limitations of transmitting a MP3 over a FM signal.

I tried a cassette adapter only for a moment, the sound quality simply was unbearable. With the iTrip the sound quality is at least tolerable

Bing
        Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2000

After living with this for a bit I would have to say at times the sound is "good enough" and at times it just flat out sucks...

I'll only be using this for a novelty or if I'm desparate :roll:

Bing
          Bing

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"