My next upgrade for the D's - Has been decided!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick.h
    • Jan 2006

My next upgrade for the D's - Has been decided!

Hi All,

After much debate and feedback from you all I have placed my order today for:

Musical Fidelity A5CD
    Musical Fidelity A5cr preamplifier
    Musical Fidelity A5cr power amplifier

Should received it in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again!

Now I need to update the layout of my room.
    Last edited by nick.h; 23 October 2007, 05:37 Tuesday.
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I compared the MF A5 against my classe CDP-100. The classe far exceeded the performance of musical fidelity. If the 100 can do it, I'd have to assume the CDP 202 is a big step up from that.

You invested a good chunk of change on the diamonds, you might as well put similar quality electronics behind them.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• BassThatHz
      • Jul 2006

Assuming that you have 3 interconnects and direct inputs on the HK AVR-5550 there would be no reason why you couldn't use 2, 3, 4 right away... whether or not you would want to is another question!

Since you already have a solid speaker foundation; I would say, target an amp of your choosing first. Be it 2ch+mono or 3ch or 5ch with bi-amping and build around that. Which of course you can only do in person...
      You could bring your HK along with you to use as a pre for amp testing, to gauge how well it might do in that scenario compared to the full system components. If your local dealers doesn't have 803D's then you should bring those too or get a home demo.

Upgrading the source+pre and powering it with an HK doesn't make sense, unless you can obtain your amp ASAP afterward; it would still have an HK sound to it, you just wouldn't gain much. Same power = Same distortion.

From what I quickly read the HK outputs like what:
      3 * 85watts at 8ohms with 0.07THD 20-20k
      3 * ??watts at 4ohms with ??THD 20-20k

The CA-3200 outputs:
      3 * 200watts at 8ohms with 0.003THD 10-155k
      3 * 390watts at 4ohms with 0.005THD 10-155k

It outputs 4.6x more power with 14x less distortion and 8x the bandwidth. :T

The 8XXD's dip to what 3ohms in the most power hungry regions?
      The HK is probably exploding inside :#

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

I wish I could offer you an opinon with MF but I don't have one to give. I do have strong feelings about your option 3 though, steer clear of ARCAM. I found their top of the line FMJ series boring when paired with the B&W 800 Series. Though you won't make any mistakes choosing the Classe' option. Of course you should hear these systems for yourself, if you haven't already, but since you are solicting others opinons I am telling you like it is as far as I hear it.
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

I feel like a bit of a broken record but have you considered the Conrad Johson CA200 control amp to improve 2 channel performance and take some strain off the receiver for HT (it has HT bypass so that it can also work as a power amp).

I found I had to get a dedicated pre-amp/power amp to get any benefit from a CD player. Later I traded the pre on the control amp. I think if I was doing it again I would probably go staight for the CA200 first and get the CD player last (unless you can afford to get both at the same time).

In some parts (Australia for example) they have some deals around that would make it even more competitive with some of the gear you have listed. The amps slightly sweet sound works very well with the 800 series in my opinion. Its the sort of amp that charms you with its natural yet detailed presentation. The more you listen the better it gets.
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Sounder
            • Oct 2007

have you considered Emotiva? www.emotiva.com

I got their IPS-1 (150wpc) and MMC-1 for my 9NTS. I've been blown away with the SQ improvement over my Marantz 120wpc setup. The best news is that it's extremely well built, and the sound is easily as good as my friend's Proceed $5k setup. They also have a higher level setup for a little over $3k. The amp has 200wpc, seven channels and it matches with a very nice processor for that cost. Check out their forums for good information from owners of the product.

Also check out the photos on their site... my amp has a separate toroidal power supply for each channel! It really sounds sweet! I set mine up in a five channel mode, with the front speakers bi-amped. Works great! And, no, I don't work for them... I'm just really pleased with what I got for $2k, and I'd easily put it up against any $5k system you get.
            Last edited by Sounder; 19 October 2007, 10:13 Friday. Reason: add website link

Comment

• dknightd
              • Mar 2006

I'd get a good three channel amp, and use the HK as a pre for now. The CA-3200 is a nice unit. There are others. The unfortunate reality is that your speakers more or less demand a good quality amp. Likely you will not notice a difference in source until you have adequate power (amps) available to your speakers.

Comment

• nick.h
                • Jan 2006

Okay how about.

1. Bryston 6B SST with Arcam AVP700 & DV137
                2. MF A5CD, A5pre, A5power

Both come in at the same price.

Comment

• gsengmaq
                  • Sep 2007

Just having invested in the McIntosh MC207 (7-channel amp) and MX120 (sound/video processor) together with the same speaker setup, I'm very happy with the sound. I've seen a lot of simliar setups, i.e. McIntosh and B&W, and from what I understand this is a generally well liked combo.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

• dknightd
                    • Mar 2006

I think I'd start with an amp that can do your speakers justice.
                    Then I'd look at room treatments.
                    Then I'd look at a two channel preamp with pass through.
                    But I'm a two channel guy, and have less to spend than you do.
                    I'm not familiar with the model #'s you list, but as long they include
                    good amp, and preamp, you should notice a significant improvement.

But, do not forget the room. The room might be considered the most important part since it couples your ears to your speakers.

Comment

• chin kwan
                      • Jul 2006

I have got somewhat similar system.. N803,HTM1, SCM1... I say good pwr amp first as without good pwr, the speakers won't come alive.. My Proceed amp2 was insufficient to drive the N803.. even 4 channels of Proceed was insufficient... This is based on 2 channel listening though...If you use is mainly HT then lesser amps will be okay.

Comment

• nick.h
                        • Jan 2006

Thanks for the info guys.
                        Last edited by nick.h; 29 October 2007, 19:46 Monday.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"