X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Musical Fidelity

I just wanted to quickly post to let those interested that I picked up the Musical Fidelity amp that was calling out my name and let me go on record that I'm VERY impressed with it. I don't have a lot of time before I leave for holidays but I quickly connected the LinkDAC to it and ran my mains to it just to get a quick taste of whats to come...spinning a few tracks that I'm very familar with it is very effident that there is a BIG difference in sound b.t this Musical Fidelity amp and the HK 5800 I was using before. The MF is far more revealing and I'm hearing things I've never heard before in songs I've played hundreds of times over. I can't wait till the 1 meter SilverCats arrive so I can do this amp justice but even on good old Rat shack interconnects it was very solid. Interestingly enough I used to be able to bottom out my maggies playing pink floyd on the HK amp but on a quick demo all I got was clean and loud music. I didn't think the HK was clipping but it might very well have been in retrospect. Anywho count me in as a new Musical Fidelity fan

• Trevor Schell
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Excellent and enjoy your New amp.
    Put up some pictures when you get the chance.

Trevor
    My HomeTheater S.E.
    Sonically Enhanced
    C5
    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

Congrats on the new Amp! A good amp makes alot bigger difference than most people are aware of.

What are you using as a pre-amp?

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Congrats Andrew!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• GregoriusM
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2000

I'm pretty sure Andrew is still using his Denon 3300 as a pre-amp. He's awaiting the Outlaw 950 before he makes any pre-amp changes, AFAI.
          Gregor

Comment

• pf
            • Oct 2000

Good choice Andrew. You don't happen to have the tube version, do you? I know AA is the US distributor of MF but not sure how it works out in Canada. Looks like AA is ready to start a nationwide local dealer network for MF so people can demo without having to buy to demo.

PF

Comment

• efarstad
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2001

Congrats Andrew! I absolutely love my MF A3cr amp, and I know what you're talking about. It's like your listening "into" the music rather then having it all "thrown" at you! Make sense? It's like someone cleaned the huge wax glob out of your ear! :B Enjoy.

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Congratulations on the Musical Fidelity Amp! They're one of the few companies using inductor input power supplies for solid state- Cello and Ayre being the others.

This really keeps the supply voltage much cleaner (a real necessity for zero feedback designs like Ayre's amps), and also has much kinder current harmonics for the power draw (power factor) from your wall, as the supply caps aren't just charged up on the peaks of AC waveforms. This keeps power cleaner for the rest of your gear.

(It is a real problem finding suitable chokes for this application, though; when designing a prototype amp for a pro audio outfit a few years ago, the only vendor in NAFT I could find that coudl do toroidal choke inductors was Plitron in Canada).

I think you're going to be very happy with your MF as you have the time to become more acquainted with it.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Congrats !

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Very sweet indeed. Should be even sweeter when that Tiger Paw digital, and 2nd pair of Silvercats arrive. They are shipped incidentally as you requested.

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

thanks guys. This isn't a tube amp but runs in Class A mode for the first 30 watts then switches over to AB for the remaining watts (120 watts into 8ohm per channel) I'll post more later since i've only just walked in the door from my vaction...

Comment

• Kevin P
                        • Aug 2000

Sounds like a sweet amp. Is it 2 channel, or 5?

I wonder how it compares to the Outlaw 750 or 770. Or are we talking an entirely different league here?

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                        My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Its a staight 2 channel amp and I'm not sure what league it would land in from a sound perspective (jon?) but from what I know of their designs they are quite different

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

FYI here's a pic of my new toy. I'm going to see about replacing the ugly power switch on the front with one that doesn't light up (I HATE unnecessary lights on gear)

Musical Fidelity

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

Say, that'sa good looking amp Andrew. I like it a lot! Wanna trade?

Lex
                              Doug

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

doug well give me your HPA-2 and i'll think about it

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

Sure, but you pay shipping! (100 pounds) That cheapscate, he wouldn't do it, haha.

Lex
                                  Doug

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"