• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

CM7 thoughts.

Hello all,
    I had a chance to listen today with a friend the B&W cm7's powered by Rotels new Digital 500w amp. I gotta admit I was impressed. With the level of quality and the price, these speakers in my opnion are a home run. I did however notice slight harshness on the top end using the digital amp over the RMB1075. I thought the digital amp was going to improve on the overall tone but it added a bit of harshness. This was also experienced on the 804s which we listened to as well. Actually I felt the CM7's sounded better on the Rotel gear then the 804's did. Funny what electronics will add or not from speaker to speaker.

I really enjoyed the CM7's. If I needed a office rig or a really nice theater system with Rotel receiver or seperates, I would seriouly consider using them. They are Impressive for how much they cost.
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Dmantis
    Hello all,
    I had a chance to listen today with a friend the B&W cm7's powered by Rotels new Digital 500w amp. I gotta admit I was impressed. With the level of quality and the price, these speakers in my opnion are a home run. I did however notice slight harshness on the top end using the digital amp over the RMB1075. I thought the digital amp was going to improve on the overall tone but it added a bit of harshness. This was also experienced on the 804s which we listened to as well. Actually I felt the CM7's sounded better on the Rotel gear then the 804's did. Funny what electronics will add or not from speaker to speaker.

I really enjoyed the CM7's. If I needed a office rig or a really nice theater system with Rotel receiver or seperates, I would seriouly consider using them. They are Impressive for how much they cost.
    Verwe verwe Interwesting.

The "big" Rotel had been one of many options available to me for my 804s. Reading your comments I'm glad I went with CJ for my amplification. We no longer have a Rotel dealer in Brisbane so I was not tempted to look at that option more closely.

Its a bit of a worry that you found the top of the line Rotel amp relatively harsh up top. What pre-amp were you using?
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• dave shepard
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
      Verwe verwe Interwesting.

The "big" Rotel had been one of many options available to me for my 804s. Reading your comments I'm glad I went with CJ for my amplification. We no longer have a Rotel dealer in Brisbane so I was not tempted to look at that option more closely.

Its a bit of a worry that you found the top of the line Rotel amp relatively harsh up top. What pre-amp were you using?

Mantis is correct I was there with him doing the audition and we had the 1068pre and a Rotel player spining the disc. Their was defnitly something else the 804's needed but the 7's were putting it out very nicely.

Dave

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dave shepard
        Mantis is correct I was there with him doing the audition and we had the 1068pre and a Rotel player spining the disc. Their was defnitly something else the 804's needed but the 7's were putting it out very nicely.

Dave
        Just goes to prove how important system synergy is.
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Russ L
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by dave shepard

Dave
          The Rotel CD player is the weak component in the setup and may be responsible for the harshness. Or maybe the interconnects and cables...? I'd swap out both of those-one at a time- and see if that helps. Regards, Russ
          Russ

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Russ L
            The Rotel CD player is the weak component in the setup and may be responsible for the harshness. Or maybe the interconnects and cables...? I'd swap out both of those-one at a time- and see if that helps. Regards, Russ
            I don't think so as the entire system was wired with MIT cables, full digital to the preamp so PCM 2ch was what we where listening 2.
            We also listened to Dolby Digital and DTS Via Eric Clapton DVD Live concert. All discs sounded better on the CM7's over the 804s. Again I believe the system and room was a better match for the Cm7's. If we had McIntosh gear in that room, I believe it would have been a different story.

But not to take anything away from theCm7's, they are just fantastic speakers. I own all Dynaudio speakers and picked them over the CDM9nt's and a full 7.1 B&W package. The CM7's and there package might have saved me some coin as they are alot cheaper then my Dyns. I think in the right room with the right gear and placement, the CM7's could make most people very happy including myself. I would do a deadicated theater with them.

Comment

• lvhung
              • Jun 2005

So your Dynauio sound bad with movie

Comment

• george_k
                • Jan 2004

Overall I felt the same way about the CM7's. My dealer recommended them as an upgrade to the 603/S3's I had.

The CM7's have a noticeably better midrange and top end. The low end lacked the slam that the 603's. So I ended up buying the 703's which ended up costing twice as much as the CM7's would have.

I think B&W hit a home run in terms of price-to-performance, my dealer tells me that this speaker is by far his hottest seller... out of the entire lineup!

Comment

• Dmantis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by lvhung
                  So your Dynauio sound bad with movie
                  No no my Dyn's sound incredible. I was just blown away on the price per performance ratio with the CM7's. If they where around back when I got into my Dyn's, I might have saved some money and applied the extra money I spend on them to something else. I don't think the CM7's are better just a better value.
                  Again Incredible sounding speakers for not alot of money. Nice.

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by george_k
                    Overall I felt the same way about the CM7's. My dealer recommended them as an upgrade to the 603/S3's I had.

The CM7's have a noticeably better midrange and top end. The low end lacked the slam that the 603's. So I ended up buying the 703's which ended up costing twice as much as the CM7's would have.

I think B&W hit a home run in terms of price-to-performance, my dealer tells me that this speaker is by far his hottest seller... out of the entire lineup!
                    Not too surprising. I've stated on a few occasions before that the new CMs combine 800 Series luxuries with 600 Series economics. It would have been my best all rounder pick too. :T
                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"