X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Question about speakers tweeters one being louder than the other

I dont know why but when I play a rain relaxation sound track that the left speaker on its tweeter seems to be louder than the right speaker, or rather the whole speaker sounds louder on the left as to the right and on my amp the sound balance is set in the middle, do you guys think its just the recording?

I also think that a song I played the left speaker seems louder than the right.. is this normal?
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Possiblities
    1. your ears
    2. your amp
    3. your source
    4. the track you are playing
    5. your room
    6. your imagination

I would be betting your speakers are unlikely to be the problem, although stranger things have happened
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• beden1
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
      Possiblities
      1. your ears
      2. your amp
      3. your source
      4. the track you are playing
      5. your room
      6. your imagination

I would be betting your speakers are unlikely to be the problem, although stranger things have happened
      Also, check to make sure your speakers are in phase. Meaning - make sure you have the speaker wires connected properly . . . plus to plus and minus to minus both at the amp and at each speaker. Your speaker could sound different than the other if one is out of phase.

Comment

• jjahshik32
        • Sep 2007

that's strange, I double checked it and its all connected properly.. but the right speaker still sounds alot softer.. where when the piano is playing I can clearer hear it on the left speaker's tweeter but once I put my ear next to the right speaker's tweeter its barely audible... hmm... what do you guys think?

Comment

• jjahshik32
          • Sep 2007

ok I fixed it.. strange.. I used line out and the speaker on the left is less audible than the right on my mac pro.. but when I changed the settings to use it on the headphone jack and I plugged it in there.. both side is now audible at the same loudness... weiird

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Instead of messing around with your current setup and using your computer as your pre-amp, look at this stereo receiver from Outlaw. You can hook your computer to it using a USB cable, and, it has a dedicated sub connection, which would solve most of your problems.

Comment

• jjahshik32
              • Sep 2007

thanks beden1, I'll have to look into that later on =D

Comment

• misterdoggy
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Yeah, if you are looking at details so closely, analyzing etc, then you better make the jump to a dedicated stereo system ie: amp, preamp, source (cd dvd or phono player) it will be worth the investment and enjoyment.

I say this because it seems you are very interested in all of this, a natural so to speak to become one of us obsessives.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                  • Sep 2007

well if I just buy a preamp it should be ok I mean I can use my mac pro as the source correct?

Comment

• btf1980
                    • Aug 2007

Please spring for a decent CDP. You can get the rotel 1072 for as little as $450 on audiogon. I mean, you got the 805s, yet you don't have quality amplification or a quality source. Don't you see a problem with this? What truly is the point?
                    A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Speakers are a good start

Comment

• jack667
                        • Jul 2007

Actually, I think you're all being a little unfair. I have used a Mac as a source for years, and compared it against many CD players costing the same as a Mac Mini and decent external harddrive. For me, the Mac Mini comes up top every time.

Now, lets be fair - our friend here has a MacPro - this can EASILY be upgraded to have any of the incredible soundcards that are out there, and to further that, he can use an external DAC.

For those of you who have heard of AVI, they are trying to open peoples eyes to the world of computer audio - worth a read: www.avihifi.co.uk/
                        B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                          • Sep 2007

I do have an older rotel rb985bx it to me sounds pretty good for now.. but in the future I'm really got my eye on mcintosh stuff.. but that's like a year from now.. but for now this rotel is awesome.. just wanted to know the best way to connect to my mac pro.. maybe a dac is the way to go? Other than my mac pro, only other source I connect to is my xbox 360 and streaming wireless hddvd movies from my mac pro to the 360 and connecting to the rotel amp sounds awesome

Comment

• dknightd
                            • Mar 2006

There are easy ways to diagnose these things.

First try switching the speaker wire (L&R) at the amp. If the difference changes, then
                            you likely have an issue in the amp, or upstream. You can follow this upstream by switching left and right interconnects as you work your way up.

Then switch the speakers. If the change follows the speaker, then you might have a speaker problem.

If nothing changes, then it might be your room, or ears.

Comment

• beden1
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by jjahshik32
                              well if I just buy a preamp it should be ok I mean I can use my mac pro as the source correct?
                              Yes, your mac pro would be your source player (would serve as your CD/MP3 player). You would hook your computer to the Outlaw stereo receiver into the USB input. You would hook your Xbox 360 into the Outlaw receiver as well. You can also use your current Rotel amp as the main power to drive your speakers by hooking it into the pre-outs of the Outlaw receiver. This receiver does have 100 watts x 2 channels however, so you could also sell your Rotel amp is you wanted . . . or use it too.

I bought one of these for my daughter and it sounds great, if not better than your Rotel amp IMO.

The Outlaw receiver only costs under $700. A Dac would cost considerably more I believe. The receiver would be very flexible for your needs, as well as enabling you to connect a sub woofer.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                • Sep 2007

I would have to think about it because my rotel amp was purchased for 300 usd and to me as a beginner amp sound very nice. I was just curious on which way to connect my amp to the mac pro was the best and most efficient way and thanks for the input but for now i fixed the sound issue just straight connecting via headphone jack. For some reason using line out on the mac pro the right speaker was louder than the left speaker even with settings under line out was all equalized evenly. But the headphone jack works fine. But later when i want to upgrade i want a nice mcintosh amp later and maybe add a preamp or might not need one if i buy a very nice amp

Comment

• jack667
                                  • Jul 2007

Jjahshik32 - can I ask - where are you from?
                                  B&W 683. Advantage S-101. Mac Mini. 53,000 tunes.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                    • Sep 2007

im from houston texas, where ya'll from?

Comment

• beden1
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by jjahshik32
                                      I would have to think about it because my rotel amp was purchased for 300 usd and to me as a beginner amp sound very nice. I was just curious on which way to connect my amp to the mac pro was the best and most efficient way and thanks for the input but for now i fixed the sound issue just straight connecting via headphone jack. For some reason using line out on the mac pro the right speaker was louder than the left speaker even with settings under line out was all equalized evenly. But the headphone jack works fine. But later when i want to upgrade i want a nice mcintosh amp later and maybe add a preamp or might not need one if i buy a very nice amp
                                      Aside from the speakers, the pre-amp is the most important piece of equipment in a system, followed by the amp and source player (IMO). As you are a young person who is just starting out in life, I was suggesting equipment that you may be able to afford, and that will provide you with very good listening for a good number of years.

I always tried to consider any purchases that were rationally within my income level when I was first starting out. I also considered saving money, as there would be other pressing expenses in the future that would be more important than buying hi-fi equipment . . . like saving for a future marriage, purchasing a house, furniture, paying for household expenses, and money for things like eating.

There is nothing wrong with having great aspirations, but rationally, purchasing McIntosh equipment is quite a financial leap from buying a $300 used amp.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                        • Sep 2007

I appreciate your help yea McIntosh is a bit pricey but by sometime next year from saving a little on the side per month I can afford a nice amp maybe in around 2k but until then the 300 dollar amp will have to do. I already spent my budget on the pair of 805s and had to settle for a bit older amp but again i say as a beginner hifi setup thw rotel rb-985bx to me sounds damned good. But then again ive never really heard other more expensive and much much nicer amps (except the ones at my dealers place which they used higher end rotels and krells but the speakers i use is in a smaller room than the dealers demo room) so its good enough. On the other end my friend has McIntosh amps and will let me test my speakers out on them before I make a purchase next year. Or if earlier id have to sell one of my toys recenty sold my Sony vaio tz to pay for the 805s

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"