X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SQdude
    • May 2007

Question about a Kevlar cone

A certain manufacture is famous for using yellow Kevlar cones with a totally flat surround housed in a sphere. I'm curious is the general break-up characteristic of Kevlar (what freq does this material fall apart at)? Also, with a flat surround, how much xmax do you really think they are getting out of this driver? Just curious because few off the self manufacturer's top products utilize Kevlar and such a surround. What "sound" does Kevlar have (tonally is it dark, bright, detailed, etc)? I'm also intruded by the sphere they use, which is tapered internally, science or voodoo?

Thanks
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

You aren't talking about B&W, are you? If so, I think the kevlar speaker you're taking about is really more of a midrange than a woofer.

Breakup frequency is dependent on cone geometry, but kevlar is fairly stiff and light, allowing this frequency to potentially be high. I don't know what B&W does for crossovers, but as far as I can tell they seem to run their woofers to higher frequencies than what I would call conventional. Overall, though, I would say that their approach to design is based on sound engineering more than gimmicks or snake oil. The sphere is one of the best external shapes for a speaker for diffraction purposes, and a tapered tube is one of the better internal shapes for a speaker for controlling and preventing unwanted internal resonance. The sphere is a horrible internal shape, though, so you don't see a lot of manufacturers use it.

Another example of a company using kevlar is Scan Speak. Linkwitz used their kevlar woofers in a really old project on his website- http://linkwitzlab.com/m_panel.htm

They're not available anymore as far as I know.

Regarding the "sound" of kevlar- I think that overall speaker and crossover design has a far larger effect on the sound than the woofer material. If I had to guess at a material based impact, though, I'd say it's probably somewhere between paper and metal. I believe that driver design has advanced beyond most of B&W's drivers, but they've kind of built up a signature look around the yellow cone.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"