X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shadow Lord
    • Aug 2007

Want to buy new speakers: Thinking B&W 700s

O.k. been looking for speakers for a while. I was very interested in getting a set of Sony X-series but that has proven next to impossible. So I am now looking at the B&W 700 series which the x-series seemed to be based on. I listened to these with my Wife and she even likes them. I am thinking the following setup:

Fronts: 703 x 2
    Surrounds: 705 x 4
    Sub: ASW750

I have been doing some reading and people seem very disappointed w/ the HTM7 as a center.

I was thinking about upgrading to a HT3S instead. Would this be a good match? If not what do people recommend instead?

Also would people recommend the DS7 over the 705 for the surrounds?

Any help/info is appreciated. The setup will be used 80-90% for HT and the rest of the time for listening to music. TIA!

p.s. I am open to other brands and recs as well as I am just beginning my search!
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

You can go for a better speaker or a not quite as good speaker depending on your budget and your listening preferences. On paper both would be better than a HTM7 for 703.

I have never read an explanation from B&W re why there is no FST center for the 700 series so it remains a topic of conversation.

I have HTM7 with 804s which is an even worse match but I'm spending my cash on 2 channel. Its ok in a "ho hum" kind of way but I miss the virtually seemless 705 HTM7 match across the front.

Try the 68# (with FST midrange driver) & HTM3 then report back your findings to share with all :B
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Shadow Lord
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Briz vegas
      You can go for a better speaker or a not quite as good speaker depending on your budget and your listening preferences. On paper both would be better than a HTM7 for 703.
      Which two (both) speakers are you reffering to? The only upgrade I can do on the center channel is to the HTM3S. Anything better (HTM2D or HTM1D) is simply out of the budget for now.

Try the 68# (with FST midrange driver) & HTM3 then report back your findings to share with all :B
      Do you think the 68# series will be a better value? I have not listened to those speakers, just the 700 series (did not even look at the 800s since they are way out of budget).

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

Hi Shadow Lord,

I have in passt a set with 703 /htm7 / cdm7nt rear / 750sub : nice , sound good.

update: 803S / htm3s / 805s / 750sub. Another planet.

Make a 5.1 system.

See fot 804s / htm4s or if you can htm3s / and rear you can buy the 705/CM1 too / sub 750 is ok no problem for matching with the rest of set.
        if you can hear the 804s and 703 you will be without problem for 804s.

greeting from Switzerland
        Omar

Comment

• Ted
          • May 2006

I have a pair of 703 in a stereo only set-up and absolutely love them. A little bright at excessive volumes, but it is too loud to listen to long anyway and in a better listening room I'm sure they'd calm down (more open space and room treatments). However as you mentioned there is a lot people that do not like the 703/HTM7 combo.

Have you considered the 704 instead? I don't think that is as bad of combination since both lack the FST mid-range. Since most of your listening is HT, you may not miss the FST and you'd save $800 off regular retail pricing.

I just bought a pair of CM7 for my HT (since I love the 703s so much, decided to switch to B & W for HT too), so they may be an option too. I will add a CM-C once I have the funds. I'm a little concerned that the same will be true with the CM7/CM-C since the floor standers have the FST and the center does not... I'll just have to see. I have been very impressed with my CM7s however. A little more laid back than the 703 (not necessarily a bad thing) and lacking some of the bass, but then again the ASW 750 would take care of that for you anyway.

Lastly, as almost everyone here will tell you, try to listen for yourself, and let you ears be the judge!! Only you know what you like or don't like. Good luck and let us know what you decide!!
          Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Shadow Lord
            Which two (both) speakers are you reffering to? The only upgrade I can do on the center channel is to the HTM3S. Anything better (HTM2D or HTM1D) is simply out of the budget for now.

The HTM61 is the FST center from the 68# series http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/displa...110&infid=2321
            HTM3s was the other suggestion.

Do you think the 68# series will be a better value? I have not listened to those speakers, just the 700 series (did not even look at the 800s since they are way out of budget).
            68# series are brand new models with newly introduced technology from B&Ws more expensive speakers (ie FST midrange) - they are the entry level series these days so value for money is a big selling point.

In fact you did look at the 800 series - HTM3s is the match for the 804s - it has the FST midrange (like the 703) that the HTM7 lacks.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Shadow Lord
              • Aug 2007

68# series are brand new models with newly introduced technology from B&Ws more expensive speakers (ie FST midrange) - they are the entry level series these days so value for money is a big selling point.
              I'll have to check to see if my local dealer has them in stock and on demo.

In fact you did look at the 800 series - HTM3s is the match for the 804s - it has the FST midrange (like the 703) that the HTM7 lacks.
              Well technically I have not. I have considered the HTM3S but I have neither seen it in store or listened to it... Yet! :P Hopefully this weekend I can go in and have them setup the 703s w/ an HTM3S for some long listening...

Comment

• Shadow Lord
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Ted
                I have a pair of 703 in a stereo only set-up and absolutely love them. A little bright at excessive volumes, but it is too loud to listen to long anyway and in a better listening room I'm sure they'd calm down (more open space and room treatments). However as you mentioned there is a lot people that do not like the 703/HTM7 combo.

Have you considered the 704 instead? I don't think that is as bad of combination since both lack the FST mid-range. Since most of your listening is HT, you may not miss the FST and you'd save $800 off regular retail pricing.

I just bought a pair of CM7 for my HT (since I love the 703s so much, decided to switch to B & W for HT too), so they may be an option too. I will add a CM-C once I have the funds. I'm a little concerned that the same will be true with the CM7/CM-C since the floor standers have the FST and the center does not... I'll just have to see. I have been very impressed with my CM7s however. A little more laid back than the 703 (not necessarily a bad thing) and lacking some of the bass, but then again the ASW 750 would take care of that for you anyway.

Lastly, as almost everyone here will tell you, try to listen for yourself, and let you ears be the judge!! Only you know what you like or don't like. Good luck and let us know what you decide!!
                Thanx for the input. At this point I think what I want to listen to more is the combination of the 703s w/ the HTM3S. I am looking to get something to last a good long while (i.e. If I get the 704s I won't be upgrading them any time soon..). I am still torn between the 705s and the DS7. I think the DS7 would be better for my usage but the 705s are more versatile (simple room economics - if I ahve an enclosed room where I can easily mount the DS7s great but if it is open then the 705s can be better placed on their pedestals..)

Comment

• Ian D
                  • Jun 2005

Also would people recommend the DS7 over the 705 for the surrounds?
                  The DS7's will do you just fine based on your HT Use I'd only recomend the 705's if you have a lot of SACD/DVD Audio use.

Also the HTM7 will suit you just fine for HT It's weaknesses are reallyonly apparent on Multi channel music use and as the price difference is quite large to the HTM3s I'd stick with the HTM7 if you really do use 80% plus HT.

Cheers Ian
                  :^x

Comment

• beden1
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2006

Thanx for the input. At this point I think what I want to listen to more is the combination of the 703s w/ the HTM3S. I am looking to get something to last a good long while (i.e. If I get the 704s I won't be upgrading them any time soon..). I am still torn between the 705s and the DS7. I think the DS7 would be better for my usage but the 705s are more versatile (simple room economics - if I ahve an enclosed room where I can easily mount the DS7s great but if it is open then the 705s can be better placed on their pedestals..)
                    I used the 703s along with an HTM1 center speaker and found it to be a very good match (as would the new HTM3S being of a similar nature). I replaced the HTM7 with the HTM1. I was never able to quite get the HTM7 to be a match/transparent along with the 703s.

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by beden1
                      I used the 703s along with an HTM1 center speaker and found it to be a very good match (as would the new HTM3S being of a similar nature). I replaced the HTM7 with the HTM1. I was never able to quite get the HTM7 to be a match/transparent along with the 703s.
                      The HTM1 is a better match for the 703 than either the HTM7 or HTM3S are. Your ears speak the truth beden1!
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Shadow Lord
                        • Aug 2007

His ears may speak the truth but my ears will be hearing a whole different tune from my wife when she sees the HT1MD's 8K price tag...

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Shadow Lord, the HTM3S replaces the HTM1 of old. I think you are confusing the HTM1D with the HTM1 which is in a completely different league. The HTM1 is only available second hand.

Comment

• Shadow Lord
                            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by RebelMan
                            Shadow Lord, the HTM3S replaces the HTM1 of old. I think you are confusing the HTM1D with the HTM1 which is in a completely different league. The HTM1 is only available second hand.
                            You would be absolutely correct there... :lol:

Comment

• Pierre
                              • Sep 2007

I started with 2x704, added a htm7, bought 2x 703, and the htm7 was the weak link. I listened to the htm1, but found the tweeter too bright, and then the htm3s which was perfect. However, I exchanged the htm7 for another 703, so I have 3x 703 upfront and 2x 704 behind, very smooth.

Comment

• NMG
                                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Ian D
                                Also the HTM7 will suit you just fine for HT It's weaknesses are reallyonly apparent on Multi channel music use and as the price difference is quite large to the HTM3s I'd stick with the HTM7 if you really do use 80% plus HT.
                                I concur :T

Comment

• RebelMan
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

The HTM7 is completely inadequate with the 703s for MCH music or movies. It would work well with either the 704s or the 705s but not the 703s. Pierre has the ideal setup with three 703s across the front but it may not be a practical solution for many.

Comment

• NMG
                                    • Oct 2004

I suppose it just comes down to varying degrees of what one considers adequate. Like all things audio, you have to let your own ears decide what works for you.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by NMG
                                      I suppose it just comes down to varying degrees of what one considers adequate. Like all things audio, you have to let your own ears decide what works for you.
                                      Sorry, NMG I disagree. It's not just what your ears decide but what your brain makes of the information it's fed and the compromises one is willing to make.

Anyone new to this hobby (we all were at one point) or less experienced will have less understand of what their ears tells them. It takes time for tastes to mature which only comes by listening, reading and talking to others.

The OP questions the integrity of pairing an HTM7 with the 703 which indicates to me someone looking for experienced feedback. You say the HTM7 will suffice and I say it doesn't. So who decides what’s best? The easy answer is B&W. The HTM7 is not purposely designed for the 703.

The real issue here is about compromise. Perhaps you are a less discriminating listener or perhaps the extra expense isn't worth it to you. If this is the case then I would agree with you that it becomes a very personal choice. However, on sound quality alone the HTM7 does not mate well with the 703s. It is no different with the 800 Series HTM4S paired with the 804S or 803S.
                                      Last edited by RebelMan; 03 September 2007, 15:03 Monday.

Comment

• NMG
                                        • Oct 2004

Sorry, NMG I disagree. It's not just what your ears decide but what your brain makes of the information it's fed and the compromises one is willing to make.

Anyone new to this hobby (we all were at one point) or less experienced will have less understand of what their ears tells them. It takes time for tastes to mature which only comes by listening, reading and talking to others.

The OP questions the integrity of pairing an HTM7 with the 703 which indicates to me someone looking for experienced feedback. You say the HTM7 will suffice and I say it doesn't. So who decides what’s best? The easy answer is B&W. The HTM7 is not purposely designed for the 703.

The real issue here is about compromise. Perhaps you are a less discriminating listener or perhaps the extra expense isn't worth it to you. If this is the case then I would agree with you that it becomes a very personal choice. However, on sound quality alone the HTM7 does not mate well with the 703s. It is no different with the 800 Series HTM4S paired with the 804S or 803S.
                                        I actually agree with your post RebelMan in that it IS about compromise, much like everything in audio is to some degree (unless you are willing to spend the dough it takes to get "perfection"). If you want to take it another step further, you could probably argue that anyone with 703's shouldn't have HT because there is no center channel designed to match with them, and therefore the SQ of the entire system as a whole makes it "unlistenable" (unless of course you use another 703 like you suggested, which would be ideal, yet impossible for most everyone out there with a "conventional" type display).

I also agree that there IS a tonal difference between the HTM7 and the 703's. In my experience, however, I haven't found that the difference alters the sound so much in HT that it makes the experience unacceptable. Obviously you disagree and I've no problem with that either.

I don't know what the OP's is willing to compromise, what their budget is, how much perfection they want, etc. My post was simply meant to provide further information that there are some 703 owners who find the HTM7 to be an acceptable CC in their system. The OP can do with that info as they please.

Later!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by NMG
                                          My post was simply meant to provide further information that there are some 703 owners who find the HTM7 to be an acceptable CC in their system.
                                          I agree the combination is an acceptable, albeit only, compromise for some. I don't know how much time you spend listening to music versus watching movies but my guess would be that you have a preference for music. The OP intends to spend about 90% of their time on movies. As someone that is split 50/50 I can tell you that I am probably more willing to make greater compromises than the OP would for HT.

I wanted very much for my HTM3S to work (good enough) with the 800Ds that I own. I tried everything I could to make it happen as the prospect of adding an HTM1D is not one to be taken lightly which I honestly was hoping to avoid. But the results I achieved running with a phantom center made me realize the HTM3S just wasn't going to cut it, so I sold it. It was the best compromise at the time.

Based on the assumption the OP wants to optimize HT performance I would advise against the HTM7 and 703 pairing. Rather a combination HTM7 and 705s or 704s or if budget allowed a move up to the HTM4S and 805S if three 703s are not spatially conducive. In the end he may decide the HTM7 and 703s are acceptable which I would have no problem with. But if this is the case then it comes back to the point I made earlier about maturing tastes. Clearly this would be someone that is no longer 90% HT.

Comment

• NMG
                                            • Oct 2004

As someone that is split 50/50 I can tell you that I am probably more willing to make greater compromises than the OP would for HT.
                                            I would agree. Personally, for the amount I listen to music, I'd rather give up a little bit on HT and have the 703's for music, than have a "perfectly seamless" HT with 704's and then be missing for music what I like so much about the 703's. Then again, there are folks who prefer the 704's for music over the 703's so even that is open for interpretation . . . LOL.

I think the big thing for the OP to keep in mind is that there are a number of options out there, depending on what they want to achieve, what they are willing to spend, etc. For me, the compromise with the HTM7 is virtually immaterial. For others, it may not be. Above all, I'd suggest that they get out and listen to different combinations to see what they prefer. That's part of the fun

Comment

• RebelMan
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by NMG
                                              I think the big thing for the OP to keep in mind is that there are a number of options out there, depending on what they want to achieve, what they are willing to spend, etc. For me, the compromise with the HTM7 is virtually immaterial. For others, it may not be. Above all, I'd suggest that they get out and listen to different combinations to see what they prefer. That's part of the fun
                                              Precisely.

Comment

• Shadow Lord
                                                • Aug 2007

Well, I had a chance to go in and listen to the 703s w/ HTM3S. Sounds simply amazing. Unfrotunately my dealer did not have three 703s for demo so I could not listen to that combo. Is it worht going to the trouble of finding a dealer that can setup three 703s up front? Or is it better to stick to a "real center channel" if my use is mostly HT? Thanx for all the help.

Comment

• Ted
                                                  • May 2006

While I have no experience with three of the same speakers for FL, Center, and FR, I think most members would say that if your set-up allows you to use the 703 for the center, that will provide you with the most seamless sound across the front. I think traditional center channels by their nature are somewhat compromised. The big problem with a regular floor-standing speaker is having space for it and having it not block your screen.

I say if you like the sound of the 703 and have the room, go for it!
                                                  Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• wgriel
                                                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Ted
                                                    I say if you like the sound of the 703 and have the room, go for it!
                                                    I agree wholeheartedly with Ted! If you can accommodate 3 703s across the front you'll find that a better solution than the 703s with any horizontal center.

Usually it's pretty tough to do that though...

Bill

Comment

• NMG
                                                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by wgriel
                                                      I agree wholeheartedly with Ted! If you can accommodate 3 703s across the front you'll find that a better solution than the 703s with any horizontal center
                                                      I third that. If you have the configuration to allow it, go for it :T

Comment

Working...
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"