X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • still learning
    • Aug 2007

b&w804 best amps?

Hi:

I am new to this forum. I curently have B&W N804 fronts, HTM2 center, SCM1 surrounds and a sub. My equipment is Rotel 1066 processor, Rotel 1075 5 channel amp, Denon 3910 DvD, Rotel 1072 CD, DTVHD, audioquest cabling, Monster 5100 power conditioning.

Music is the over-riding desire including Music DVD's, and movies are nice but are not the main concern. I want detail and musical sound quality, but do not want it to become shrill or overly bright. The voice and midrange are important and Classe has been suggested. I want musicality and detail without much color, but do not want it analytical and without feeling. Technically correct music without feeling is missing something.

I want to upgrade my amp and processor. I will probably do the amp first. I am also looking into an Anthem D2 processor. I am considering a 5 channel amp, but am also strongly considering two amps with a 2 channel for the fronts and multi for the center are surrounds. With this maybe I can still get pure 2 channel? I have been told this is the best way to get quality without the compromise of the multi.

I am thinking of Classe, Anthem, Sim, etc. and am asking the forum for advice. As to Classe, with the new Delta, the cost is very high and would the older series be good? Money is available but I do not have the budget of some contributorsto tis forum. I would like to buy used if posible.

I would sincerely appreciate your opinions and advice. I know it is personal preference, but educated ears can help me avoid mistakes or help narrow my search.

Thank you for any help.

still learning
  • dmccombs
    • Sep 2006

Many of the people here recommend Classe amps or MacIntosh amps with the 800 series speakers.

I personally went with Classe, and like you, I found the new x200 line a bit more than I wanted to spend. I ended up going with the previous series. I am running CAM-350s on my 802d and am very happy with those.

I have 804s as rear speakers and have a Classe 201 amp on order for them.

If you have a max price in mind, that may help us make more specific recommendations.

Darrell

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

For a music first solution I am considering the Conrad Johnson CA200 for my 2 front two speakers (804s). Its a control amp (works like an integrated) with theatre bypass so you can use it like a pure power amp for HT. Absolute Sound has a review if you are interested - rated at 185w. Its not cheap, but you can connect you CD player directly to the CJ for the highest quality 2 channel replay without needing a separate 2 channel pre-amp. I currently use a CJ PV-14l preamp for this purpose. My plan is to trade the pre on the control amp.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• akhter
        • Jun 2005

I heard many options and am pretty much set on McIntosh (either mc252 or mc402). Currently I am using Arcam AVR300 to drive N804.

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

I'm using a Krell KAV-2250 to drive my surround Nautilus 804's (pre 804S). Using the KAV-3250 to drive my fronts (803D's + HTM2D). I'm a happy camper.

For your long term plan you might want to consider the diamond range of tweeters in the B&W 800 series, especially that you want to move away from shrillness & brightness. I do find the Nautilus series (and probably would do the S series too even though I've not heard them) a bit on the bright side compared to the diamond tweeters.

If possible, try some listening comparisons.

Good luck.

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ShadowZA

For your long term plan you might want to consider the diamond range of tweeters in the B&W 800 series, especially that you want to move away from shrillness & brightness.
            Another "D" pusher. How does that song go
            Ds are good
            Ds are good,
            Ebenezer good

Naughty naughty.............very naughty :rofl:

I am sure that the diamond tweeter is better than the S, no arguement. But there is nothing bright per se about the S range. If there is then I suggest poor system synergy and lots of reflective surfaces are smearing the highs. I've listened to alot of high end gear over the past six months (including
            Watt Puppy 7s a few days ago) and never once have I come home and thought my system sounded bright in comparison. Often I have though the opposite. It still has a way to go for me to be completely happy with it, but hooked up a Krell recently it sounded amazing.

I think Krell, Classe, Mcintosh, Conrad Johnson are all excellent (and I am sure there are others), choice comes down to individual taste. Most people only seem to audition the first three, with the majority favouring Mc.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• still learning
              • Aug 2007

If you have a max price in mind, that may help us make more specific recommendations.

I know that good equipment will cost and am flexible. I would prefer used and am more concerned at geting the "wrong model" and not geting the performance I want. How do you feel on the cav 180 ve ca 300 & a cav180 bridged?

Comment

• dmccombs
                • Sep 2006

Still,

If you have it narrowed down to those tow choices, you could get the Cav 180 and see if it drives all 5 channels to your satisfaction. If it doesn't, you can pick up CA-300 for the fronts, and then bridge the cav-180 for the center channel.

Personally, I prefer to have the LCR channels all match. That makes the choices a bit more limited.

Are you looking for a good solution for today? If so, how about a CAV-500?

If you want some room to grow, and want matching LRC, then the choices get tougher.

Darrell

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"