X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ted
    • May 2006

704 W/CM Center or CM7 W/CM Center

I think I would like to replace my HT speakers and have pretty much narrowed it down to using either a pair or 704 or CM7 for my front Rt and LT. The problem I have is similar to the problem to what member StanleyS had in a recent post, I do not have the vertical space required for the HTM7, which I know would be the best match for the 704. My multichannel use is probably 95% for movies, and any multichannel music is not listened to very critically.

So, since both the 704 and the CM-Center do not have the FST mid-range, would that be a feasible option? I have listened to the CM7 (in stereo, not surround) and liked them a lot, but I wonder if they might be a bad match with the CM-C since it lacks the FST, much like people complain about the 703 and HTM7. Or, is it not too big of deal since my main use is movies? Any chance B & W might expand the range and add a CM series center with an FST (after all, the new 600 have one)?

Everything is powered by a Rotel RSX-1057, with future upgrades possible down the road (new amp and poss. a Pre/Pros).

What do you think?? ;x(
    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if B&W does add a CM center with an FST, but nothing is in the pipeline short term. What about CM7's and the HTM61? I have not listened to them together, but that is an option since they both have and FST. The HTM 7 does create placement problems because of it's size. We have problems with that all of the time with customers. That is the problem with doing things the "right" way.

Eric

Comment

• Ted
      • May 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
      I wouldn't be surprised if B&W does add a CM center with an FST, but nothing is in the pipeline short term. What about CM7's and the HTM61? I have not listened to them together, but that is an option since they both have and FST. The HTM 7 does create placement problems because of it's size. We have problems with that all of the time with customers. That is the problem with doing things the "right" way.

Eric
      Thanks Eric, as I always I appreciate the feedback. Would this be a satisfactory solution? If I built a "shelf" to sit on top of my TV and placed the HTM7 on top instead of below the TV on the stand. My "theater room" isn't too big, my main seat is approximately 10ft from where the center's tweeter would be. Also, the tweeter would be approximately 31 inches above my normal listening level. Would adding a slight downward angulation help?

The above solution would allow the use of the "right" (series and design)center as well as free up more room for future equipment that my current or future center takes up. Is this reasonable or a poor compromise?
      Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

That's a tough call. That's pretty high for a center channel. A phantom center would probably net you better results than having it that high. Even if it is angled down, it will still sound like it's higher than the other speakers. Focus on what speakers you want for your left and right first. If the CM7 is the right one for you, then focus on the CMC or the HTM61. If the 704 is the speaker you have to have, look at doing a phantom center or finding a way (if at all possible) to get the center closer to ear level.

Eric

Comment

• Ted
          • May 2006

Thanks Eric, that is what I sort of figured, but I had to make sure. Again, I appreciate the help. I'll probably just go with the CM7 and CMC. If I wasn't so stuck on having real wood, I'd probably be totally happy with the new 600 series.

Thanks again Eric! ;x(
          Ted

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"