X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Edgeyboy
    • Nov 2006

B&W 800 Series or JM Lab Focal

I am looking to update my N804's. I had been going for a set of 803S but have been let down on those.
    There are some Focal JM Lab 927 Be's floating around on the S/H market.
    Has anyone compared the Focal's to B&W 804/803 etc ? They seem to be B&W's most direct competitor.
    The Berrylium tweeter looks interesting.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Edgeyboy,

Both extremely good... Quite different sounds... The 927 BEs are extemely revealing... Expose every little fault in the system - especialli in the mid and top end... You should compare them... Both seruously good speakers... I woud more compare the 927 BEs with the 803D... So great if you like a rivetly level of transparency in the top end....

Geoff

Comment

• AlanB
      • Nov 2006

I owned the JM Lab 927Be for about 18 months but could never get the sound to be totally 'right'. I upgraded my amplifier from AVI Laboratory Series to the Musical Fidelity Nu Vista M3 and things improved but I was still not satisfied (are we ever?). I then changed to 805S's with a MJ Acoustic Reference 100 Subwoofer. EVERYTHING has come together. Better musicality, transparency, coherence. Just more real and engrossing. To me there is no contest between the two.
      Beauty is in everything but not seen by everyone

Comment

• Edgeyboy
        • Nov 2006

Cheers guys - I'm going to stick with B&W. :T

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

Hi,
          Personaly I have a B&W803s.
          But JM Lab is sure a good speakers....

JM Lab 927 Be vs. BW803S --> BW803S 200%

For competition with the B&W803s you must look the Electra 1027Be.

and jm lab n 1027 have a very interessant tecnologie applicated.

in the future if do you want change the 803s you don't have any problem, with a jm lab is a little bit different.
          but in speaker case I think jm lab is with good material assembled and the sound i sure not bad: if you can listen the 2 speakes...
          Good luck
          Greetings from Switzerland Omar

Comment

• Edgeyboy
            • Nov 2006

Are you saying you think the 927Be is better or worse than the 803S ?

Thanks.

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

Hallo,
              For me the B&W803S is better than the 927BE.

The 1027BE or the 1037be vs. 803S in this duel I think is too the personall
              pleasure. the 1037be (and the 1027be too) are constructed with good material and the sound is also much bond. Here the personal taste is very subjective.
              For HT or 2ch.?

Omar

Comment

• Edgeyboy
                • Nov 2006

2 Channel. :T

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

@Edgeyboy,

2 channel system
                  1. speaker : lm lab 1027BE or B&W803s
                  the B&W have a very bass, I utilise this speaker for my HT system with a Rotel RB1092 (2x500w) and I'm very happy.
                  the jm lav with a berylium tweeter ahve a sound in HF good really, and iat the base of the speaker you have a "bass" 90° ierct to the flor. If do you have flor in wood/hard flor is sur better as carpet.
                  the two speaker needed a 200wx2, minimun for say what they can.
                  Classic/Rock/Blues is too "erlativ" important and a dealer with a room the the803s and the 1027be to listen is sure the better solution.
                  (BW in the future if do you will upgrade is sure a better investiment vs. lm lab.)
                  I don't no how much is priced the jmlab is USA but in europa is enough expensive. the B&W803S with a good ampli and pre with XLR conneting
                  (XLR is not only for a long cables!!! give more dynamics to the sound no words.

Is not easy but I think the B&W is a good chioce and in a "long time" they give you satisfaction.

Greetings from Switzerland Omar

--------------------

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                    • Feb 2008

I've owned both the B&W 803D/HTM2D and the Focal 1027Be/CC1000Be. They are both excellent products, the sound is amazing out of both of them.

Right now I'm still in the Focal camp, downgraded the 1027Be to the 1007Be due to room size.

Slightly different sound between the B&W and Focal, both are fantastic with Jazz and Vocals. Ofcourse movies are excellent too.

I would rate the 1027Be at the same level as the 803D's, not the S's. The 1027S would be the model for the 803S.
                    SoundEngine355

-------------------
                    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• lostinla
                      • Dec 2007

B&W vs JM Labs

I've just spent the weekend trying out some 1007be to compare to my 805s. The sound of the be tweeter is certainly revealing and the overall sound is not as warm as the B&W ... I found it a little too revealing on some CD's, but with SACD they were very good indeed. I think I preferred the 805s sound though, but that is a tough call.

Interestingly the 1007be seemed to integrate better with my sub (velo splr 800) when I tried it. I don't usually use the sub for 2 ch.

I'm considering 1027be, but they didn't have some to demo, so I thought this would be an interesting comparison. I also borrowed a Marantz reference SM 11s1 amp. I usually use an Arcam AVR 350 in b-amped mode to the 805s. I found the AVR 350 and 1007be were not as good (maybe because the B&W were benefiting from being bi-amped). I'd definitely need a better amp to drive the 1027be to their potential. Maybe a Mac amp or something relaxed on the top end...

It was a fun weekend comparing.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"