X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sithlord10
    • Apr 2003

Subwoofer crossover advice

Hi guys I need some advice on a subwoofer. I'm thinking of buying the SVS B4+ subwoofer with the Crown K1 amp. Now in regards to setting the crossover frequency do I use the 1098 to set it in the sub setup? SVS offer a Marchand SVS amp Interface which can set the crossover but I'm not sure if I need this. How does everyone else set their Subwoofer crossover with the 1098 or the internal crossover in the subwoofer? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Bill Blank
    • Sep 2002

The easiest way to do things is to connect the 1098 to your sub's amp via the line-level input/output. Set your sub's x-over to the highest possible setting, then set the 1098's SUB X-over level to the frequency you actually want to x-over your speakers at.

By leaving you sub's x-over setting wide-open, you avoid cascading crossovers.

Hope this helps.
    Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
    Rotel RMB-1075
    Rega Planet 2000
    Denon DVD-2900
    Mitsubishi WS-55411
    Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
    Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I'm not familiar with the components you're looking at but as Bill mentioned, most people connect their sub through the sub output on their pre/pro using it's internal crossover and then set the crossover on the sub to it's highest setting to avoid cascading crossovers. Some subs do have defeatable crossovers that allow you to avoid that situation alltogether. You might want to check and see if the model you're looking at has this option. Though it's probably the most common set up there's nothing saying you can't connect your sub using the speaker connections instead. Infact I'm sure I've heard of some whacko's who actually prefer this :P hee hee

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Fortunately, the B4+ is just a subwoofer, and the Crown K1 is just an amp.. Nothing more. No speaker-level in, no crossovers, nothing..

With the amount of adjustability on the 1098, buying the interface would be worthless (except for the subsonic filter, but you probably won't notice a huge improvement with it). Just run the 1098 out to the crown and use the internal 1098 crossover..

Kevin D.

Comment

• lerouge
          • Feb 2003

On avoiding "cascading" crossovers, instead of defeating the sub's crossover, can you defeat the receiver's crossover?

I ask because the RSX-1055's crossover can be turned "off" whereas I can only deactivate my sub's crossover by maxing out the frequency. Deactivating the receiver crossover seems cleaner. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"