• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayskumar
    • Nov 2005

B&W tweeter problems old CM-4

Hi,

I'm an avid lurker, but rarely post.

My current setup is a Rotel RMB 1075 Amp and Rotel RSP 1068 Preamp connected to 2 B&W CM-4s (the previous CM series).

Yesterday while listening to some music, I started noticing that the sound of my speakers sounded less balanced. There was more sound coming out of my right speakers than my left. Using the test option under the Rotel menu I noticed that there isn't any hissing sound coming out of my left tweeter.

I assume that it's something I can't fix myself. What should I do aside from contacting B&W?
    Are these things cheap to fix or is it one of those "how much is the sentimental value of your speakers" type propositions?

Thanks.
    Jay Kumar
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

Replacing the tweeter diaphragm is quite easy. You will need to contact the local dealer to get a replacement. B&W will not ship to you directly.

Eric

Comment

• BW-Fan
      • May 2007

Originally posted by jayskumar
      Hi,

I'm an avid lurker, but rarely post.

My current setup is a Rotel RMB 1075 Amp and Rotel RSP 1068 Preamp connected to 2 B&W CM-4s (the previous CM series).

Yesterday while listening to some music, I started noticing that the sound of my speakers sounded less balanced. There was more sound coming out of my right speakers than my left. Using the test option under the Rotel menu I noticed that there isn't any hissing sound coming out of my left tweeter.

I assume that it's something I can't fix myself. What should I do aside from contacting B&W?
      Are these things cheap to fix or is it one of those "how much is the sentimental value of your speakers" type propositions?

Thanks.
      Jay Kumar
      Just for troubleshooting purposes try swapping the L/R speaker cables to make sure it's not the Rotel - just to be sure :T

Comment

• jayskumar
        • Nov 2005

Thanks guys.

Sorry for the late reply, got married and the wife moved in. I tested the speakers by switching the outputs on the amp. It's definitely the speaker tweeter. I went to the B&W dealer yesterday and he's ordering me a new tweeter under warranty. I'd like to change it myself as it would be kinda fun and I can save an hour or two of labor. He said the way to change it was to take out the lug nuts of the second speaker and remove the tweeter from there. However, there are no lug nuts on the CM-4. The drivers are surrounded by rubber. Not lug nuts. Does anyone know how to remove a tweeter on the CM-4?

Thanks.
        Jay Kumar

Comment

• BW-Fan
          • May 2007

Originally posted by jayskumar
          Thanks guys.

Sorry for the late reply, got married and the wife moved in. I tested the speakers by switching the outputs on the amp. It's definitely the speaker tweeter. I went to the B&W dealer yesterday and he's ordering me a new tweeter under warranty. I'd like to change it myself as it would be kinda fun and I can save an hour or two of labor. He said the way to change it was to take out the lug nuts of the second speaker and remove the tweeter from there. However, there are no lug nuts on the CM-4. The drivers are surrounded by rubber. Not lug nuts. Does anyone know how to remove a tweeter on the CM-4?

Thanks.
          Jay Kumar
          I believe he is talking about the lug nuts on the front face of the speaker holding the aluminum face on. Behind that should be access to the speaker fasteners.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"