X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gremal
    • Apr 2007

Finally did it...bought a pair of N802D and selling my N802 pair

I'm really looking forward to getting the new guys in my room and hearing what they can do. I will need a D model center, but that can wait. The new pair should ship out early next week and get here first week in June. Can hardly wait!
    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables
  • Joey_V
    • Jul 2005

I'm glad for you! Let us know what you think and pics pics pics!!!
    Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Kobus
      • Aug 2005

Enjoy, good luck with the wait.

Kobus

ps: it's not N802D

Comment

• Gremal
        • Apr 2007

Thanks...I'm confident I made a choice that will bring me more enjoyment.

You're right, but why don't they call them N802D...one look at the midrange/tweeter unit and it seems to still be the nautilus family.

Comment

• RNKC
          • Jun 2005

Officially the Nautilus range is dead. It's now called the 800 series.

Diamond tweeters are designated 8xxD whereas non diamonds are 8xxS. So instead of say, N803 we now have 803D or 803S. N8xx is the more or less "official" way to designate the older Nautilus lineup.

The only Nautilus still alive is The Nautilus (the snail).

Comment

• RNKC
            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Gremal
            You're right, but why don't they call them N802D...one look at the midrange/tweeter unit and it seems to still be the nautilus family.

The 802D actually looks different than the N802. The grille design is different, the plinthe is different and of course the tweeter is diamond. If you look closely at the tweeter, you'll see the difference but the other 2 things are the dead giveaways.

Comment

• Gremal
              • Apr 2007

My point is that the teardrop midrange/tweeter unit is still very much in the nautilus tradition. But I now realize they dropped the name from the 800 series.

Comment

• Gremal
                • Apr 2007

Ok, it's all coming together. I sold the N802s yesterday--didn't get as much as I wanted but still about 60% of what I paid for them 8 years ago. The buyers came and picked them up.

Today, the freight company shipping the 802Ds called and will deliver tomorrow between noon and 4:00. I was pleasantly surprised because the estimated delivery time posted on their website was Friday.

So this time tomorrow, I should have the new speakers all set up and breaking in!!!

Comment

• joetama
                  • May 2006

Awesome man... I hope you enjoy them!
                  -Joe

Comment

• Joey_V
                    • Jul 2005

Gremal...

CONGRATS!

Looking forward to pics... it's been a few weeks of waiting but I will venture to say that it's sooo worth it!

Joey
                    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Gremal, are you keeping your N805's for the time being?
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Gremal
                        • Apr 2007

Wow, these are incredible. If anything, they image better than the N802s and they definitely have more slam and impact in the bass, but I still hear good definition down there. The treble impact is interesting. I don't have a good handle on all the changes yet. Need to do much more listening. After owning the N802s for 8 yrs, it's a major shift. I'm hearing some details and resolution in the mids and treble I didn't hear before!

Very pleased!

Yes, I'm still using the N805 as my side surrounds. Using the SCM1 as my rear surrounds for 7.1 (unfortunately the only 7.1 material I have is the Resistance Fall of Man game). I think if I replace my center at some point I can live happily with the diamond models across the front and the older models as the surrounds.

Comment

• DeepEndX
                          • Feb 2005

Wait until you break them in....

Comment

• Joey_V
                            • Jul 2005

G,

Cool stuff for sure! Don't forget the pics!

Joey

Comment

• Gremal
                              • Apr 2007

I'll get around to the pics soon. Still playing around with placement to try to get it right. These are so sensitive to placement...toe-in and wall proximity.

One thing I recognized right away is that the Rohacell cones contribute to greater impact on the bass attack--more slam--compared to the paper cones on the nautilus speakers. I'm still getting used to it for music but it has instant appeal for home theater applications.

I've now decided to upgrade to the ASW 825 sub. This will replace the paper cone in my ASW 800 sub with Rohacell. It makes a huge difference. I can live without diamond tweeters in my surroud speakers but I don't think I can live without the rohacell cone in my sub.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Congrats on your new 802D's, Gremal :T

Wishing you hours of enjoyment.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"