X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Bishop
    • Jun 2006

B&W 803D vs. Celestion A3

I've been toying with the idea of replacing my Celestion A3 main theater speakers with something else. I've had the Celestions for about 7 years. They are great speakers - but perhaps a little bit too polite in the base department. There have been some improvements in speaker technology in the last 7 years - and I'm interested in exploring the field. Because I have a subwoofer (Paradigm PW-2200) I've not been highly motivated to make this change - but still, I find it interesting to shop around.

So far, the candidate replacement speakers are the Klipsch RF-7, and the B&W 803D. I'm currently using the Klipsch RC-7 center for movies and TV. So, the Klipsch RF-7s are in the running simply because I already have a key component of theirs. Another factor in my calculus is the cabinets that I use, which were custom built to hold the Celestion A3s. It turns out that the Klipsch RF-7s and the B&W 803Ds are almost exactly the same form factor as the Celestions, so both of these choices would fit nicely in the booths constructed to hold the Celestions.

I finally got around to auditioning the 803Ds. Before I went to the dealer I spent some quality time listening to CDs on the Celestions in direct stereo mode, with no equalization or subwoofer. I took these same CDs with me to the dealer's store.

My impression of the 803Ds: Bass response was definitely improved over the Celestions. With the 803D ported in front, I'm guessing that makes a huge difference compared to the Celestions which are dual ported in the rear. The rear ports face the rear panel of the cabinet they are housed in - and I'm pretty that is why they offer less than stellar base performance than I would expect from a speaker of that size.

Treble: Very transparent and obviously improved over the Celestions.

Midrange: This was the trouble spot for me. It seemed to me that the midrange on the 803Ds was recessed. I felt it was several dB below where I was expecting it. Listening to music I'm very familiar with, it just struck me that something important was missing - as though someone had used an equalizer to de-emphasize the mids. This may also explain why the top-end seemed so striking to me - although I'm sure the diamond tweeter could take some of the credit here.

I did not listen to other speakers in the store. In particular the 802Ds are too big to fit in my cabinets anyway - so I didn't bother listening to them.

I have listened to the Klipsch RF-7s - but it was in a terrible, noisy environment, so I couldn't properly evaluate them.

The system I'm targeting is split about 50/50 between TVs/Movies and music. In another room I have a pair B&W 703s set up and dedicated to 2-channel music only. This is where I do serious music listening. The 703s sound great - and I've not had any buyer's remorse for getting them.

I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions on what to try next? Given that the RF-7s are discontinued, it's very difficult to find a dealer who has a pair set up for listening. These speakers are still available as new on some web sites under closeout. I'm also wondering if anyone else on this board had the same experience listening to the 803Ds as I did - that is, a sense of diminished midrange? It could be that the 803Ds I listened to were just a bad sample, or damaged, or otherwise improperly configured for audio listening. I hate to discount them completely given that I only listened to them once.

Thanks for listening.
    Regards,
    Michael Bishop
  • dknightd
    • Mar 2006

It would surprise me if you like the Klipsch rf-7 better than either your Celestion
    or the 803d, but I suppose it is possible. The 803d sounded well balanced in
    the short listen I gave them (too much dollar for me to seriously consider).
    Have you considered switching the Celestion and your 703's? Maybe not
    permanently, but, just to see how each sounds in the other's place.
    You don't say what equipment you use, but a bigger amp might wake
    up the bass in the celestion. You might itch your upgrade bug with a new amp, or, a new subwoofer instead - just a thought.

Comment

• fauzigarib
      • Aug 2006

the RF-7 and the 803D

Michael,

First of all, the RF-7 is, in my humble opinion, a magnificient speaker. I am gung ho on the horn sound, and LOVE the mids it puts out. I really think that Klipsch's heritage in horn design is really a foundation that they have been building on, and they seem to have got it just right!

Having said that, however, if I were you, I would spring for the 803D's for two main reasons: a) It's a marvelous sound and b) It's a marvelous sound! But seriously! I recently had the fortune to hear them in a studio environment, and compare them with the 802D's, and I really have not heard mids like that before... not even out of my Klipschorns, which I have been proudly touting for many years. Their crossover construction, the diamond tweeters, the cabinetry... are all just world class.

What really amazes me is the feeling you got in the mids during your audition. What electronics were plugged into the speakers at the time? I've heard that with the wrong amps, the mids are the first things that you will miss on these speakers. Also the FST driver takes longer to break in. So is it possible that it was a new pair of speakers that you were listening to?

I'm a die hard Klipsch fan, and if you read some of my earlier threads, you'll see what a dilemna I'm in having to get rid of my big Heritage Klipschorn. I just think that these speakers, with the right backing, are phenomenal.

So good luck, and do keep us posted on what you decide.

Fauzi

Comment

• Michael Bishop
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by fauzigarib
        Michael,
        What really amazes me is the feeling you got in the mids during your audition. What electronics were plugged into the speakers at the time?Fauzi
        I agree the 803Ds are beautiful speakers with superior construction. The ones I listened to at the dealer were being driven by a McIntosh MC207 amp, with the source being the MC205 DVD player (a Denon 3910 in disguise I think.) Pre-amp was also Mac - but not sure which model. Dealer said the speakers had probably 100 hours on them.

I'm driving my Celestions with a Pioneer VSX-49tx receiver. 130 w/ch into 8 ohms. Most likely I will not upgrade my receiver until I can replace it with something that supports HDMI 1.3. Sometime in 2007, hopefully.

My next goal is to find a way to listen to the RF-7s in a good environment. I'd also like to hear the Paradigm Studio 100 V3 - as their size matches my cabinet space. I'll probably also give the 803D's another listen - since I am a big fan of B&W - and love the 703s, as well as my office-bound DM601 S3s.
        Regards,
        Michael Bishop

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"