X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JCL
    • Apr 2005

Your opinion about he 603-S3

Hi to all,

I am new to this forum, so this will be me first post. I live in the Netherlands and I'm 16 years old (so forgive some of my English). Now I want to work hard in my summer vacation to start a HT system. I am lucky to and my school (graduation) so that will give me some money and for the rest I work at the local supermarket. But enough about me.

I hope to get about €2000 (that’s about $2500 but the prices are higher here) so lets take $2000 (I need cables to). Now I would like to start with a receiver and only 2 speakers. It is no use to keep buying and upgrading and I'm not so rich that I can afford to go beyond the 600 series and because it could take a while to get money for rear, center and sub it has to sound nice as a 2.0 setup.

Now I looked around and saw the 603-S3 series. Also found the Sony STR-DA3000ES. I like the combo Sony ES and B&W (brother had TA-VA8ES and DM602-S1). But who actually has this setup or something that looks like it? How do the speakers preform and how is the receiver?

I have read some reviews about the 603 and they are always very good. The receiver is difficult to find (professional reviews). So I turn to you guys.

Please help me,

Thanks JCL
    Last edited by Staff; 03 April 2005, 09:54 Sunday.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

JCL,

Welcome to our world

Your strategy is a good one. The B&W 603S3 will be en excellent foundation for you for the next few years. You may want to consider some other Receivers as well such as those from Maranz, Yamaha and Rotel - each sounds different and you would benefit from comparing a few to find the one that works best with your system.

Geoff

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

Some of the English Hi-Fi magazines actually do a little bit of review on the B&W 600s from time to time and they have a 600s setup as one of their recommended entry level system. I do own the 603s as mains, LCR600 as center and 601s as surrounds. I'd also agree with Aussie Geoff about looking for different receivers from the reputable comanpies and do a little bit of comparing before you settle for one. I wish I did that when I was shopping for receivers, I have a Denon 2805 and pretty happy with it, but just wish I did a little bit of comparing myself. Good luck.

Comment

• JCL
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
        JCL,

Welcome to our world

Your strategy is a good one. The B&W 603S3 will be en excellent foundation for you for the next few years. You may want to consider some other Receivers as well such as those from Maranz, Yamaha and Rotel - each sounds different and you would benefit from comparing a few to find the one that works best with your system.

Geoff
        I just love the agressif sound of the Sony recivers. It sparkels, the music just blasts uit of the speaker. Others do not like this, we have a term for this in The Netherlands but is will mean nothing to you (schel) don't know how te explain but you know what I mean :B

I must definantly listen to Marantz, Denon, Rotel. But is Rotel nog to expancive? hmmm, must look in to those prices.

P.S. Prices start at €1500 (about $1750) that is to mutch to spend at once. Like I sead, I want to buy what I really wan't nog something just to get started, get sorry and having to change it all in a month. That is al verry costlly I'm not working my ass of for nothing this summer.
        Last edited by JCL; 04 April 2005, 08:48 Monday.

Comment

• ironchef
          • Feb 2005

JCL, I have the 603s3's with a rotel RA1062/RCD1072 combo.
          I arrived at that combination through extensive comparison listening to lots of speakers and integrated amps, and really, I think it's very good value for the money (although I'm in canada, and I think Rotel is cheaper in north america...the RA1062 was about $1000CDN taxes in).
          A litle less expensive than the rotel would be NAD, which is also very well reviewed. I listened to the 370, and was impressed, but didn't like the look of the exterior.
          As for the speakers, I find them to sound very realistic with jazz and classical recordings, natural instruments really seem to come alive. Bass is certainly adequate, and not loose by any stretch. Details will be very apparent as well, for better and for worse, poorly produced recordings will be mercilessly treated, in my experience.
          When you listen to them, pay special attention to whether you like the way they handle high mids and highs, because they can be a bit on the bright side, and can sound downright 'shouty' when the volume creeps up. If you like alot of guitar-based rock for example, you might want to listen to a few more speakers, because I wouldn't consider that to be the 603s3's strong point.
          I've had these speakers for about 6 months, and will be upgrading them later this year. That being said, at the price I paid for them, I don't regret it one bit, as they are very strong speakers.

Comment

• JCL
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ironchef
            JCL, I have the 603s3's with a rotel RA1062/RCD1072 combo.
            I arrived at that combination through extensive comparison listening to lots of speakers and integrated amps, and really, I think it's very good value for the money (although I'm in canada, and I think Rotel is cheaper in north america...the RA1062 was about $1000CDN taxes in).
            A litle less expensive than the rotel would be NAD, which is also very well reviewed. I listened to the 370, and was impressed, but didn't like the look of the exterior.
            As for the speakers, I find them to sound very realistic with jazz and classical recordings, natural instruments really seem to come alive. Bass is certainly adequate, and not loose by any stretch. Details will be very apparent as well, for better and for worse, poorly produced recordings will be mercilessly treated, in my experience.
            When you listen to them, pay special attention to whether you like the way they handle high mids and highs, because they can be a bit on the bright side, and can sound downright 'shouty' when the volume creeps up. If you like alot of guitar-based rock for example, you might want to listen to a few more speakers, because I wouldn't consider that to be the 603s3's strong point.
            I've had these speakers for about 6 months, and will be upgrading them later this year. That being said, at the price I paid for them, I don't regret it one bit, as they are very strong speakers.
            So, must look into Rotel and NAD, listing is alway's nice so the more the betther. You said the high was "on the bright side" I like that a lot. That's what I liked about the Sony, B&W combi. It sparkels, but as I sead nog everybody likes that (you don't but I do )

Thath Rotel amp is €900 here so it is within the budget. The NAD is going to cost me €1000 but none of the two (just found out) are 5.1 That is the ultimed goal only lak of mony keeps me from buying a whole 5.1 setup at once.

Comment

• thyname
              • Jan 2005

JCL, I've been where you are before and I am telling you, there is nothing worse than buyers' remorse. Through some more money in, and buy something you can be proud of, and never look to upgrade for a while. I would strongly suggest considering Rotel, and if money is a big concern, consider their receivers instead of the separates (just like I do, own a Rotel 2ch stereo receiver rx-1052 for music only). Rotel is way above general consumer electronics (Sony, denon, etc..) and has great aftersale value. It is also, a little on the bright side (just the way you like it). I also have been told that B&W 603s are not as good for rock music.

Comment

• ironchef
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by JCL
                So, must look into Rotel and NAD, listing is alway's nice so the more the betther. You said the high was "on the bright side" I like that a lot. That's what I liked about the Sony, B&W combi. It sparkels, but as I sead nog everybody likes that (you don't but I do )

Thath Rotel amp is €900 here so it is within the budget. The NAD is going to cost me €1000 but none of the two (just found out) are 5.1 That is the ultimed goal only lak of mony keeps me from buying a whole 5.1 setup at once.
                I hear what you're saying, but when I say 'bright' I really mean 'too bright'. I appreciate that sense of sparkle as well, especially where it involves the sounds of fingers on strings, ringing guitars, snare drums or brushes, female vocals etc. Too bright is when these sounds lose some of their beauty and become sort of hard sounding.

Good luck on your purchase, just remember not to rush (even though it's tempting to take all that shiny new kit home NOW), and remember that you're not in the shop to make the salesman happy, listen to everything you can afford, and some things you can't (it's nice to know what the high-end stuff sounds like as a reference).

Comment

• rick c
                  • Aug 2004

Dont mean to intrude but i have the 603s3 with a rotel rsx1056 and they dont seem bright at all to me.It may be my ears but maybe depending on the amplification would determine if they become bright or not.

Comment

• JCL
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ironchef
                    I hear what you're saying, but when I say 'bright' I really mean 'too bright'. I appreciate that sense of sparkle as well, especially where it involves the sounds of fingers on strings, ringing guitars, snare drums or brushes, female vocals etc. Too bright is when these sounds lose some of their beauty and become sort of hard sounding.

Good luck on your purchase, just remember not to rush (even though it's tempting to take all that shiny new kit home NOW), and remember that you're not in the shop to make the salesman happy, listen to everything you can afford, and some things you can't (it's nice to know what the high-end stuff sounds like as a reference).
                    No rush at all. Ym bank note reminds me every month that I have al long way to go With income of only €100 every month €2.000 is a lot. Lucky for me I can work verry long in the summer so that 100 is gooing to get a lot more. Rotel is a thing to look out for. But is has to be a 5.1 reciver. Or I will be ending up saving up mony in December because I wan't to buy the rear be then. It's to bad I don't live in the US, prices over there a verry funny

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"