X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • perla4u
    • Apr 2007

Worried New B&W Owner !

Hello Friends,

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a pair of B&W 703 speakers with a Rotel RSX1057 SS receiver (50 Music: 50 Movies). I audiotioned (never at home) at couple of dealers and finally went with the one that is local to Chicago.

After the whole deal, dealer said it will take a week or more so to deliver and setup (free setup and delivery) at my place. I am SOOOOO excited and at the same time VERY worried. This is my first step into the HIFI world and the first speakers to ever own. I liked the sound of 703's when I audiotioned at the dealer and listened relatively at modeate levels. But I am now very nervous about all the reviews/postings/opinions on these speakers being on the BRIGHT SIDE and cause of fatigue to the ears on high end. I am worried what if they sound bright after setting up at my home and wont go away?

I personally request those proud owners out there to share their ideas and experience with these speakers. Are you seeing the same issue. I just went by audioreview.com and pretty much the whole forum was bashing B&W's and the advise in summary is to SELL THEM.

Please help this NEWBIE !!!

Thanks
    Perla
  • Clepto
    • Feb 2006

Keep in mind that if YOU liked the sound, then you will most likely be quite happy with them at home. B&W bashers abound, but maybe they don't like the B&W sound... You might dislike the sound that they prefer... so don't be scared, you chose wisely! (:

Comment

• wgriel
      • May 2006

Honestly, I would ignore what you've read on-line.

The fact that you liked the sound of these speakers is all that matters. And frankly, the 703 is an awesome speaker! I think that some people get into a sort of on-line group think - it becomes trendy to bash something and it just snowballs.

It sometimes looks to me like many of the bashers haven't even listened to the speakers, or are basing their opinions on a couple of minutes listening to a poor setup at at dealer. I know that some of the critics sell competing products - it's easy to be anonymous on line.

And I do recognize that some people simply don't care for the B&W sound: that's OK, but you are obviously not one of these people!

I don't own 703s, but I'd love to - I've currently got 603s in my 2 channel setup. But at this point in time, 703s are exactly the speaker I'd like to step up to next.

Bill

Comment

• dmccombs
        • Sep 2006

I owned the 703s and they are a good speaker. Just be sure to get them out from the walls a bit else the bass can sound a little muddy. Once pulled out from the walls, the bass cleans right up.

Enjoy!!!

Comment

• perla4u
          • Apr 2007

thanks guys

Thank guys. Gives me lot of relief.

dmccombs...When you crank up your volume, do you see the same issue I was mentioning above (being bright)? If so, how did you tackle it?

My dealer mentioned he would provide some basic cables initially to set up the system and then he would send me few different brands/grades to tryout and see which one I like 'em to buy. I hope my Rotel is good 'nuff to drive these great speakers.

Thanks
          Perla

Comment

• Alloroc
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

I have the 703s too and they're hooked up to a RSX-1055. I'm very happy with the setup. I imagine the 1055 won't be dramatically different to the 1057. I also have the ASW750 sub and partnered with the 703s, they sound fantastic for music and movies. Now I should add I have a seperate system for stereo and don't use the 703s that often for audio only. I keep the HT gear in my family room and as such they're used for TV, DVDs (music and movies), music streaming, and the occasional CD. They sound great. With the 703s you get the best of both worlds - great bass and tight highs - I don't find them harsh at all. I also have a Marantz DV-8400 DVD player. I reckon the DAC, for my ears anyway are better on the Marantz and as such I output audio using the multi-channel analogue outputs. I prefer the bass that way too. Perhaps that's where the 1057 will come into its own. Perhaps you'll let me know how you find it with them. It has been said that they are a very revealing speaker and this is true - if you have a piece of software that has been poorly mastered then it will expose it. This is not the speakers fault though.

You'll also be glad to know that I've hooked them up to my 'higher end' amp and SACD player to see what they can really do and boy are they fantastic.
            There is a big difference between them my main speakers in fairness (Kharma) but they don't cost anywhere much as them.

One other thing though and it ties into what I said above. If I had the space in my family room, I'd hook them up to a seperate 2 channel power amp - they react amazingly well to better hardware (if you get a chance to hear them when hooked up to anything Classe you know what I mean) and with that said and for the money you can be confident you've made an excellent investment. :T
            Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• WI Rotel
              • Jul 2006

If you like the sound, they are the best speakers for you (they do sound very good to me too, they just happen to be bass lite due to the obvious lack of big powerful bass drivers).
              However, I'd be very surprised if they sound exactly the same at home. If you are not pleased with the sound you get at home after careful placement, make sure your vendor has a return policy, with the great majority of vendors, that means you give them back to try something else of equivalent value, few will just take them back and refund your money.

Comment

• perla4u
                • Apr 2007

Guys...Did not expect such a great response from this forum. This is my first posting on this forum and BOY I am glad I did. You guys are great. Keep posting your advice/thoughts/feedback.

By the way, Alloroc, thats a good suggestion to hookup a seperate amp to power up for stereo. I should consider this once I have the setup up and running. Let's see what my experience would be. As WI Rotel said, I am expecting them to sound different from the dealer audition. But, just waiting to hear how different they sound.

-Perla

Comment

• hifiguymi
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2007

I agree with what everyone here has posted. The one thing I'll add is about break in. All speakers do not sound best out of the box. Once you get them set up put as much time on them as soon as you can. The 703's will sound bright and weak in the bass when you first turn them on. It will take about 100 hours for the initial break in and they will get better over time. The break in does not have to done at a loud volume, just play them at a moderate volume and give them time. Don't judge them right out of the box.

Eric

Comment

• Ted
                    • May 2006

:agree:

That's exactly what happened with mine, pretty bright out of the box, but they sound great now!! If I'm playing them (too :-y ) loud, they still are bright, but my room is pretty small, so if I wasn't sitting so close I think they wouldn't seem so bright. At any reasonable level and even loud just not blasting, I love my 703's (run by a Rotel 1080) and have considered replacing my HT speakers to B & W I like the 703s so much (we'll see how I like my current speakers once I replace my receiver with a 1057).

Don't worry, get the speakers home, set them up and just listen. Don't be nervous, at first they will be bright, but they'll break-in and it will be all good from there!! Good luck waiting!!
                    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Joey_V
                      • Jul 2005

703 is an excellent speaker! Dont doubt yourself that you made yourself a worthwhile and smart purchase.

People get jealous of BW and they like to bash it.... but in reality, BW is one good and sound (R/D-wise) audio company.
                      Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                      Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                      System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• sarsi
                        • Nov 2004

I simply love the 703, original it was connected to RMB1095 in my HT setup, recently I added the RB1092 to drive the front speakers. I am now hoping the new RC1082 has a HT bypass, in that way I can have my separate HiFi setup when not watching movie.

The 703 sound is awesome and I don't think they are bright like what you have read, it is important to match it with the right cables as 703 uses metal tweeter and using silver cables will make it bright. Expected to spend some time running in the speakers before it sound right.

Comment

• bigburner
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Hi Perla,

I own the CDM9NT which was the model that the 703 replaced. The CDM9NT and the 703 look and sound very similar.

I struggled with my speakers at first due to their brightness at high volume, but I'm now very happy with them. I would replace other components before I gave up my 9NT's.

The following made a positive difference to the sound of my speakers:

1. Break-in. They do improve but don't expect the change to be enormous.

2. You get used to them after a while and start feeling better when you hear other people's speakers, which usually aren't as good as yours.

3. I bought an ASW750 sub. With careful integration the sound of my 2-channel system has improved greatly, particularly for live recordings which are my particular interest.

4. I changed the position of the speakers in my room. They were on the short wall with an empty floor in front of them (for dancing) and now they are on the long wall with furniture around them. I was surprised how different they sounded after the move.

5. I acquired an external DAC for my CD/DVD player. This has made the most important difference to me. The sound is now full and rich. I think that this is due to the high quality audio output stage in my DAC rather than the digital to analogue conversion itself.

Persevere with your 703s!

Nigel.
                          Last edited by bigburner; 20 April 2007, 21:47 Friday.

Comment

• Chris10
                            • Apr 2006

I have 703's connected to a semi-digital amp. The sound is great - very very detailed, which is how I like it. The bass is very tight, and the speaker fits all kinds of music - from classical solo instruments to hardrock.

They can sound a bit harsh at times, depending on the source/CD - in my collection it's perhaps 1-2% of the recordings. I do have silver cables, and although I don't believe in cable wonders, it might be an idea to try other options.

I think that it all boils down to what kind of sound you like. And if you're on a budget, you can't have it all. Show me a perfect speaker/system for that kind of money...

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

• perla4u
                              • Apr 2007

Guys....I am very thankful to this forum. After reading (very closely and carefully), I must say I am very excited and not so worried any more :-). I am just waiting for these speakers to come home.

I also must say this, I called up dealer and spoke with one of the CS guys who I dealt with. I did not expect such kinda service from these guys. It was just great. The guy was on the phone with me over half and hour talking to me about different things about the system, room and components would effect the final sound. The best thing he said was, "well perla ... after sometime, I know you are going to be in love with those speakers. If not, thats why we have the upgrade program or the retun policy for 90 days is put in place". Just enjoy your speakers and if after the whole thing, you still are not satisfied, you will be given 100% of credit towards an upgrade.

I bet, after reading all the things here, I might not calling JEFF for replacement rather I would talk to him about my surrounds and probably, seperates. LETS SEE :-)

Cheers
                              -Perla

Comment

• dknightd
                                • Mar 2006

This subject comes up from time to time. I'm sure if you search here you'll find lots more. Basically it has all been summed up above. The only thing I'll add is that the room can make a HUGE difference. In a hard, reflective, room the 703 might be too bright. My reoom benifitted greatly by adding absorbtion at the first reflection points on the floor, walls, and ceiling.

Comment

• DeepEndX
                                  • Feb 2005

Trust your ears and other people's opinions are for references only. If it sounds good to you at a dealer, it should sound good at home with the proper settings such as room treatment, space, electronics, spikes, interconnects. All stars going to have their bashers, with a reputable company such as B&W would also have its enemies. You should go on the B&W website or other stereo critique websites such as stereophile to check B&W's reputation and the awards it has won.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

If you are having the speakers professionally installed (rare in my part of the world) then I am sure that you will get advice on tweeking the sound to minimise any brightness as this can be caused by numerous factors.

Re silver cables, I have heard it said that B&W does not suit silver - personally I have not had this issue. Silver interconnects (replacing copper) gave me significantly more bass, clearer midrange and crystal clear highs. The first couple of days I was worried that those highs were gonna be bright but it has proved not to be the case. I will not go so far as to recommend silver for the 703 (as I have different speakers) but I recommend giving them an audition before you make your final choice.
                                    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• RNKC
                                      • Jun 2005

The main points have already been covered by other posters, but I too will emphasize both break-in and room.

I use N802 and at first, they sounded decent but certainly not good. I was actually quite disappointed with them, but after a few hundred hours of use they settled in quite nicely to the sound that a few years later I still love. I would recommend plugging in an iPod set to continuous shuffle play, dial the volume medium to low and just leave the setup playing for a few days. (Yes - a few days - you need at least 100 hours to break in so that's 4 days continuous play!)

Room setup matters a lot too. Sometimes there's not much you can do, but if you have the flexibility to move furniture, are even better to treat your room acoustically then give it serious consideration. You'll probably enjoy the results.

On the other hand, if everything sounds great to you straight out of the box, then forget everything we've said here, kick back and enjoy your wonderful new speakers!

Comment

• dmccombs
                                        • Sep 2006

Perla,

I put 2" Acoustic Panels at the 1st reflection points. It took care of the "brightness" and improved the soundstage.

Room Acoustic improvements are big bang for the buck. Great cables vs. Good Cables is questionable at best. First improve the room, and leave cables for last (if at all).

Regards,
                                        Darrell

Originally posted by perla4u
                                        Thank guys. Gives me lot of relief.

dmccombs...When you crank up your volume, do you see the same issue I was mentioning above (being bright)? If so, how did you tackle it?

My dealer mentioned he would provide some basic cables initially to set up the system and then he would send me few different brands/grades to tryout and see which one I like 'em to buy. I hope my Rotel is good 'nuff to drive these great speakers.

Thanks
                                        Perla

Comment

• perla4u
                                          • Apr 2007

Hi dmccombs...What does it mean the first reflection points? I am new to the terminology and would really appreciate any help on this topic. I have been told by other people also that the room would make a big difference. The current setup I am planning to put would be in my drawing/family room (long hall) that has a "L" section. The whole 1st floor is OPEN floor model with 18 foot ceiling. Floor is all carpeted and I have good amount of furniture in the first floor. But, the speakers would be next to the TV and against the wall (as suggested I would move the speakers about 1 feet ahead (not more than that as they would be in the walk way) of the wall).

I guess the installer who is coming next wednesday would probably help me setup the whole thing (its Free of charge from the dealer) correctly. I will also ask him if he can suggest the panels and where to get them.

Please do provide me with the information I requested. Where can I buy them?

Thanks a bunch
                                          -Perla

Comment

• dmccombs
                                            • Sep 2006

Perla,

I sent you a reply via Private Message.

Regards,
                                            Darrell

Comment

• JürgenW
                                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by dmccombs
                                              First improve the room, and leave cables for last (if at all).

Regards,
                                              Darrell
                                              I agree with Darrell and

don't spend more money than you had to pay for the speakers

take your time

don't get to much concerned about the sound, try to focus on the music

enjoy

Jürgen

Comment

• bigburner
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • May 2005

Originally posted by JürgenW
                                                don't get to much concerned about the sound, try to focus on the music
                                                That's the best advice so far in this thread!

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Yeah but no but yeah but no. (someone had to quote Little Britain at some point)

So many folk skeptical of cables. I feel the need to say a little more (then will try and shut up on the topic). Definitely focus on the music, definitely run the speakers and your ears in for about a month first, definitely consider room treatments as a high priority. BUT, if you still have issues .................................................. ....listen to a few cables.

I understand the doubters, I was one myself for years before I tried some for myself at home for a month. There was no way I was going back after that. I used to think cable crazy folks were just that, now all I can say is "try them yourself". 2 months later I am still being surprised at the improvements. I will admit that the interconnect I changed may have been the problem rather than the new cable being the cure all (nothing is a cure all).

Going for all silver interconnects certainly worked for me - and I have yet to get to the speaker cables, thats for later (like room treatments etc - it can wait a while as I am now hearing sound that is right up there). Rant over - back to your regularly scheduled program.
                                                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                  Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• dknightd
                                                    • Mar 2006

Come back and tell us how you like them.

Comment

• perla4u
                                                      • Apr 2007

I will definetly share my experience.I am scheduled to have them delivered on May 25th. I am so excited. Lets see.

Perla

Comment

• blackswan
                                                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                                        Yeah but no but yeah but no. (someone had to quote Little Britain at some point)

So many folk skeptical of cables. I feel the need to say a little more (then will try and shut up on the topic). Definitely focus on the music, definitely run the speakers and your ears in for about a month first, definitely consider room treatments as a high priority. BUT, if you still have issues .................................................. ....listen to a few cables.

I understand the doubters, I was one myself for years before I tried some for myself at home for a month. There was no way I was going back after that. I used to think cable crazy folks were just that, now all I can say is "try them yourself". 2 months later I am still being surprised at the improvements. I will admit that the interconnect I changed may have been the problem rather than the new cable being the cure all (nothing is a cure all).

Going for all silver interconnects certainly worked for me - and I have yet to get to the speaker cables, thats for later (like room treatments etc - it can wait a while as I am now hearing sound that is right up there). Rant over - back to your regularly scheduled program.

This may be a bit off topic, but important for set-up if there are long cable runs. B&W recommend max. cable impedence of 0.1 Ohm, but few people in forums mention this, which can have a much higher impact than the brand of the cable.

Comment

• joetama
                                                          • May 2006

Ok, just my opinion of the 703. They are a speaker that you have to have an ear for. Meaning, that people who love fine detail and in joy finding little things in their music as they get lost in the listening experience will love them. Everyone's ears are different, and everyones listening experience is different, but the 703s fit me perfectly. The 703s are a prime target for haters however. For some reason some people always find something they hate, out of jealousy or being pig headed people especially on forums will always hate some brand. The 700 series is a target because you obviously can't talk crap about the 800 series, and the 600 series can't be beat in that price range. The 700 is very in between, I find it to be closer to the 804s. I have never been fatigued on these speakers. Some nights I will get so wrapped up in listening to music that I will be up to 3-4am and not even realize I had been listening for 5 hours straight.
                                                          -Joe

Comment

• perla4u
                                                            • Apr 2007

Joetama...very well said and nicely put.

-Perla

Comment

• hd99yr
                                                              • Apr 2007

Any opinions on this?

" Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN "

Comment

• bigburner
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • May 2005

Originally posted by hd99yr
                                                                I say lock him up in Guantánamo Bay because he's a threat to the audiophile way of life!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Oct 2003

Originally posted by bigburner
                                                                  I say lock him up in Guantánamo Bay because he's a threat to the audiophile way of life!
                                                                  I agree... And we won't have any discussion on this in the thread as:
                                                                  A) It's totally off topic
                                                                  B) These things always turn nasty after while (this link has been doing the rounds for years in lots of forums and a few people get emotional over it resulting in unproductive threads that get locked after people get angry with each other)
                                                                  c) It's against the HT Guide Policies which I as a moderator need to enforce...

So - back to the topic of those nice B&W 703s...

Geoff

Comment

• hd99yr
                                                                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by blackswan
                                                                    This may be a bit off topic, but important for set-up if there are long cable runs. B&W recommend max. cable impedence of 0.1 Ohm, but few people in forums mention this, which can have a much higher impact than the brand of the cable.

So sorry guys! Thought it would have to do with this.

Don't want to start trouble

Thanks
                                                                    " Just when I thought I was out, THEY PULL ME BACK IN "

Comment

• joetama
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                                                                      So - back to the topic of those nice B&W 703s...
                                                                      Geoff
                                                                      Indeed....
                                                                      -Joe

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Just to back up Geoff's input , for my multimeter (Fluke 73) .2 ohms is considered acceptable as zero resistance to "zero" the meter. That involves holding the leads together firmly and reading the results. Good luck with your B&Ws!
                                                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                                                        Marantz CD5005
                                                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• miner
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Mar 2005

Perla,
                                                                          I might add that be sure they bring you speakers that have serial numbers that are consecutive. When my N804 were delivered (not set up) I discovered the serial numbers were 136 apart. The veneer finish matched lickily but even some say that the tweeters are match on consecutive serial numbers. I am happy with mine. My dealer assure me that all would be fine. I might suggest you call your dealer and ask that they be consecutively numbered.

Comment

• perla4u
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Apr 2007
                                                                            • 32

Hi Miner....Thanks for the tip. I was under the impression that they would always deliver brand new order this way (consecutive). But, after reading your post, just called up my dealer who is delivering the order tomorrow said both the speakers are consecutive in serial numbers and are ready to go.

Thanks again for the info.

-Perla

Comment

• joetama
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2006
                                                                              • 786

#39
                                                                              Matching speakers is something that is important... Especially if you are a very critical listener... :fyi:
                                                                              -Joe

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Apr 2007
                                                                                • 52

#40
                                                                                Hi, I possess a pair of 703 and I find they excellent boxes. On them to be shining, everything will depend on the sinergy enters its devices beyond is clearly of the acoustics of its environment.

sorry my English
                                                                                Last edited by Luke Skywalker; 24 April 2007, 21:46 Tuesday.
                                                                                "Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

Working...
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"