X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dami0n
    • Jan 2006

Is my room too small for the 802Ds?

I am considering upgrading from 804S to 802Ds for my stereo system. My room is 12 x 14 feet (approx 3.7 by 4.2 metres). Is this too small a space for the 802Ds? After hearing them I don't want to settle for the 803s!
  • ChrisssB
    • Feb 2006

IMO you shouldnt think "I'll buy the best sounding speaker"
    You should think "I'll buy the speaker that sounds best in my place"!
    Yes 802Ds are great but I think they wont give you their best in such a small room
    Just my opinion though.

It'd be great if you could 1st try them in your place and then make a decision

Regards Chris

P.S. My room is about the same as yours and I use 804S with great results

Comment

• melantone
      • Feb 2007

I think in a smallish room like yours 803ds'd make the job as welle as 802, sparing buck!
      Hi

Comment

• Guy
        • Jan 2006

I am currently using 802ds in a room similar in size to your room however I will soon be moving them to a bigger room. For me I wanted to end the upgrade bug and go for what I really wanted rather than settle for something in between and then eventually wonder what if......... :roll:

802ds will be fine in a room your size with adequate room treatment however you will probably find the bass a bit strong.

Comment

• chinets
          • Jun 2005

Go for the 802D IMHO !!
          Big or small room: Trust me they will sound great. Just lower the volume a tad, and you gain MUCH MORE with those 802D !!!!!!
          Cheers!

Comment

• DeepEndX
            • Feb 2005

I will get the 802D or else after you get the 803D you would always itch for the 802D. You would need to have ample of room treatment but the bass will still sound a bit strong.

Comment

• melantone
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DeepEndX
              I will get the 802D or else after you get the 803D you would always itch for the 802D. You would need to have ample of room treatment but the bass will still sound a bit strong.
              :T :T :T :T

Comment

• scanido
                • Apr 2006

I originally thought the 803S would be too big for my somewhat smallish room (17 x11), but it turned out to be great and the bass not "boomy" at all. I actually find the bass plentiful and no longer require a sub.

I say go for the 802D you won't have any regrets.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2007

That's a tough call. I'd lean towards the 803D and better electronics in a room that size. The 802D's are better at imaging, but the bass might not work in a room that size. You may end up with less deep bass (clean deep bass that is) with a speaker like an 802D in a smallish room than a speaker like an 803D. Which ever way you go, your getting great speakers.

Eric

Comment

• misterdoggy
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Go for the 802D's cause you will always regret not buying them and never be satisfied. Not that the 803D's or 804S' aren't great speakers, but we can all hear it in the tone of the question that you are looking for someone to say "yeah baby go for it".

So better to spend the money now, then resell your 804S's later for less and end up spending what you should have done in the first place.

Remember, we are all addicted to upgraditisitis and once it is in your bloodstream its for life.

Comment

• dami0n
                      • Jan 2006

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try and get my dealer to drop them out to my house for a home demo. At least that way I'll no for definite either way without spending €12,000 to find out. I can also gauge what my Mrs' reaction will be to the aesthetics!

Comment

• Gremal
                        • Apr 2007

As an owner of the original N802 in a room a bit smaller than yours, I say go for the N802D. These are actually quite small speakers. Regardless of the room size, they can throw a huge image, they excel at nearfield listening and smaller installations, not just bigger rooms.

I originally bought the N802 for a larger room. When I moved and needed to install them in a smaller room, I was very apprehensive about the results, but I have been pleased, the N802 was not too obtrusive and it's about the same size as the N802D.
                        Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                        Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                        B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                        VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                        Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"