X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stockinv
    • Jan 2005

Will This Upgrade Make A Difference?

I currently have B&W 802D speakers with McIntosh 501 amps and an Aragon Stage I processor. My local hi-end stereo guy is telling me that I will get a much better sound if I upgrade my system to one with a processor that has balanced outputs and balanced (xlr) interconnects. He suggests the Classe SSP-600 Processor and balanced interconnects. Total cost would be about $8,500. Will I get the bang for my buck?
  • dmccombs
    • Sep 2006

All things being equal, balanced connections will lower the sound floor and thus provide better sound. But, you don't need to spend $8500 to get it. ;-)

Aside from balanced connections, there are lots of other things that will enhance your sound. Some will make a more noticable improvement.

The Stage One is supposed to be a nice sounding unit, and the Classe SSP-600 may be a nice unit, but if I were you, I would start from scratching thinking about what I want in a Prepro and find units that match those criteria.

Right now, it sounds like you are thinking about dropping $8500 on a prepro because you local dealer says to.

Regards,
    Darrell

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Value questions are difficult to respond to because much of that decision is subjective and personal. Having said that I have found the benefit of using an all XLR or balanced setup mildly better. Generally resulting in cleaner sound reproduction. Background noise is further suppressed and free from spurious interferance.

But this alone would not be worth the $8500 upgrade your stereo guy proposed to you, IMO. However, the difference in pre/pro, which is what this is really about, maybe worth the step up in price. I am not intimately familiar with the Aragon Stage I but I do know the Classé SSP-600 very well and it alone could be worth it.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

In commenting on the ssp-600, I am very happy with mine. I upgraded from a bryston sp2 and will never look back on that decision. This is a fantastic unit and the 2 channel pre makes it a real deal!
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"