X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PhotoRobot
    • Feb 2005

805S Added

Recently added Nautlius 805S for Rears to Setup

Ack, i've waited 2 years to complete my system and it feels like the 5 years I waited to purchase the first portion of my system.

My 805s will be here in a week. This completes my B&W setup after exhaustive waiting and not to mention financial pain. I currently have N804(non-S) for my fronts and a HTM2 centre.

I am running Rotel RSP1068 and RMB1075.

So as a distraction, I would like to know what I need to upgrade to next? Will the N804's be out of timber with the 805S? Should the 1075 be traded for the 1090.

Transport is a 2910CI from Denon.

My dealer has suggested that the pre-pro is the next to go.

All input appreciated, plus the usual post-purchase affirmation. :huh:

Photo RoBoT
  • Cambs12
    • Jul 2006

I reckon the amps is the next step,the Nautilus 804s are a very good speaker,and could sound even better with better amplification.
    I have CDM9nts at the moment(not too dissimilar to 804s) and the difference i got by buying a Musical Fidelity Trivista was astounding.With that in mind,i believe a similar high-power amp would make those 804s sing!
    Congrats on the 805s,i heard them last year while auditioning 800 series floorstanders,and they were set up first,i was very impressed. :T

Comment

• KEF
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by PhotoRobot
      [B]

So as a distraction, I would like to know what I need to upgrade to next? Will the N804's be out of timber with the 805S? Should the 1075 be traded for the 1090.
      For what its worth, my upgrade path was N804, 803S and next the 802Ds - in between the N804s and the 803Ss I upgraded my amp, knowing one day the 802s were in my future.

I went from a Rotel RB1080 to a Krell FPB-300cx - this made a huge difference to my 804s. They are really good speakers, my suggestion is to look at the amplifier as your next step.

Cheers,
      KEF

Comment

• PhotoRobot
        • Feb 2005

Interesting that you point out N804 --> 803S and next the 802D's. Once you hear the imaging of B&W there is no other brand that compares. I love the bright crisp sound. The 802D's are brilliant along with that deep undercurrent in the lower frequency's. This is my end goal. Currently space was my limitation but if I did it I most certainly would have changed the amplification and placed the 804N in the rear application. However, this would cause a centre channel replacement.

What are you using for a pre-pro on with the KRELL FPB-300CX. Very nice amplifier with power and current to spare.

We have 2 votes for power amplification.

Thanks everybody

Comment

• Aldo
          • Sep 2005

add mine, 3 votes for amps!

Comment

• dknightd
            • Mar 2006

I'll vote none of the above. Take a year off from saving for new equipment. Enjoy what you have. Buy more music. Go listen to some live music. Smile and be happy. After a year (or so) then start thinking about what to buy next. Just a thought . . .

Comment

• PhotoRobot
              • Feb 2005

Dknight wins the prize!

Joking. While I won't make any firm decisions I have my eye on the new series of Pioneer Elite Plasma's that will be coming out in 6 mos.

Aldo --> Please don't reply to any more of my posts! Since your system is so worthy and dreamy I cannot take anything you say into context. Just joking of course. If I didn't already say this, I can only imagine what those sound like and the kahuna's it takes to make it happen. Way to go!

I would also deeply take into consideration on an upgrade of application into the 200 Watt per channel range but am deeply curious on the Krell and Trivesta what pre-pro's you guys are running. I am really liking the krell.

PRobot

Comment

• Cambs12
                • Jul 2006

My amp is the Musical Fidelity Trivista integrated,350 wpc into 8 ohm,i believe 600 into 4 ohm..
                They stopped production about 2 years ago,was only made for a limited run of 500.
                Like the Krell amps,it delivers all the power you will ever need,but more than this is a hugely satisfying amp,huge soundstage and effortless delivery.
                I can highly recommend Musical Fidelity with B&W,seems to be a good match.

Comment

• KEF
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by PhotoRobot
                  Interesting that you point out N804 --> 803S and next the 802D's.

What are you using for a pre-pro on with the KRELL FPB-300CX. Very nice amplifier with power and current to spare.

Thanks everybody
                  My original plan was to go from N804 to N802 - then the new line came out and the prices really changed the game. I wanted an intermediate step and the 803Ss worked for that - my goal has always been a set of 802s.

My system is a follows:

Rotel RCD-1072->Krell KAV-280p->Krell FPB-300cx->803Ss

After the 802Ds I intend to upgrade the source, but have not decided between a new redbook player or a media server plus DAC.

Regards,
                  Keith

Comment

• PhotoRobot
                    • Feb 2005

Side note to this purchase. My speakers won't arrive in Canada for another couple of days. I just auditioned my friends system 4 N805 with an HTM3 Centre. SVS Cylindar SUB and I have to say that the tonality, balanced matching speakers was incredible for SACD and DVD-A material. I'm literally blown away with the seamlessness, soundstage and how enveloping it is. The angel whip transfers from one speaker to the next with no loss, each one never failing the other. There is no way to describe just how good it sounds until you hear it.

We sampled several blue man discs and a Collective Soul DVD and I am amazed. Normally I have found the rear speakers to be only effects. When their being used they become the focus like a novelty. Not the case, here it is one part of the equation all adding to this eye of the storm where you are sitting calm in the centre.

Amazing. He's a real audio aficiando so he spent the better part of 2 days balancing everything perfectly so that nothing is overwhelming and destroy the overall soundstage.

Just really inspired. This is what it is all about. Can't wait.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"