X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maverick71
    • Nov 2006

Testing 802D with Classé and Nuforce

Hi,

After purchasing my 802D's a few months ago, I'm starting to do some testing with power amps since I realize my TAG 100x5R can't really cope with the speakers demands.

Last Friday I brought home a pair of Nuforce Ref9 monoblocs and a Classé CA3200. I intend to buy a HTM2D in a near future so I'm trying to find a 3 channel power amp.

I only had time to do some serious listening friday night for a couple of hours but these are my first impressions on these powers and their sinergy with the 802D's:

- The Ref9's have some serious ability to control the 802D's bass. It's amazing how such a small box can overcome these dificult loads and produce such a quick, controlled and articulate bass. The Classé managed to also control the 802D's but they showed a little more bass weight which, over the short period I tested them, I could not conclude if this extra weight existed because the Ref9's could drive the 802D's bass even better (reducing bass overhang) or if they simply reduce the output on low freq's thus perceiving as better controlled.

- The Ref9's showed also a little more clarity on the mids and highs, with more silence between instruments. This has good and bad points. On one hand, more clarity reveals more detail on sources but it on the other hand, it can also be less forgiving. The Classé seemed a little bit more dark but extremely well balanced.

I dislike the clicks that the Ref9s do everytime I turn them on (can this damage the speakers ??) and also the necessity to use 3 power switches as opposed to one one on the CA3200. From what I gather, it is not advised to have the Ref9's on all the time, therefore I do need to switch them on and off every day.
    On the 'placebo side of things', the CA3200 is as robust as it gets and absolutely gorgeous. They look and feel as they are able to cope with just anything.

All and all, I'll continue to do some testing over the next few days, but your thoughts/experinces on thes powers are definately welcome. :T. I for one, don't yet have a clue of which I prefer :roll: .

Mav
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

interesting. I just sold my Ref9's in favor of the CA-3200. I have naut802's.

I didn't feel as though the ref9's did the speakers justice. I felt as though the ref9's had a decent soundstage, and was fine for HT only, but 2ch performance lacked severly. there was little to no depth in comparison and lacked in detail and bass.

I also feel that the CA-3200 has a more rounded and fuller sound while the ref9's remind me of the sound of a pair of bose speakers, delivering highs and lows but little mid.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• jack d
      • Sep 2006

It's probably a relevant piece of information what processor you are using.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by jack d
        It's probably a relevant piece of information what processor you are using.
        I've paired the nuforce with sherwood/newcastle p-965, bryston sp2 and classe ssp600. each pre was a step up, the last being the most significant until I changed to the ca-3200 amp, which I've only heard with the ssp-600.

Comment

• Maverick71
          • Nov 2006

The rest of my setup is a TAG AV32R DP pre/pro and a DVD32R transport.

I find the sound from the Ref9 definately thiner than the CA3200, the thing is that I can't quite conclude which is the correct one. Can the Ref9 be on absolute control over the 802D's and the CA3200 not totally up to it? Does the "fuller" sense a sonic signature of the Classé (and other SS amps)? I really don't know.

I think some questioned a while back something about how one could tell if a certain power amp has enough capabilities to deal with a certain speaker/room. That indeed is the question.

I do find the overall balance of the Classé more easy on the ear, though.

Sikoniko, how long did you use the ref9's on your system?

Mav

Comment

• sikoniko
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Maverick71
            The rest of my setup is a TAG AV32R DP pre/pro and a DVD32R transport.

I find the sound from the Ref9 definately thiner than the CA3200, the thing is that I can't quite conclude which is the correct one. Can the Ref9 be on absolute control over the 802D's and the CA3200 not totally up to it? Does the "fuller" sense a sonic signature of the Classé (and other SS amps)? I really don't know.

I think some questioned a while back something about how one could tell if a certain power amp has enough capabilities to deal with a certain speaker/room. That indeed is the question.

I do find the overall balance of the Classé more easy on the ear, though.

Sikoniko, how long did you use the ref9's on your system?

Mav
            I had the Ref9's for over 1 year.

I think it is interesting that you are considering the Ref9 to be the "reference" to which to compare the classe to. If nothing else, I would say the other way around.

The first amp I did a direct head-to-head to was a Krell FPB700 amp. The differences were quite humbling. The krell sounded great for about 10 minutes, and then fatigued me greatly. I have also compared a BAT VK250 to the Ref9, and again, it is a big difference. I still say that the Ref9's made my b&w's sound like bose satellites...

Comment

• Maverick71
              • Nov 2006

Thanks for your inputs .

A logical aproach would be to consider the Classé the reference, of course, but I've seen some dealers having the Nuforce with 800 series and decided to give it a shot. They also have Classé and obviously try to sell them both. I thought: why not? If they use it with 800, then it's probably because they figure it works reasonably well (or they wouldn't sell any 800 series speakers).

They have definately different sonic signatures and they both handled bass much better than my current TAG. The Classé costs more than twice than the Ref9's and that got me thinking. My room has an almost square shape therefore I have some problems with acoustics which may be one of the reasons I liked the Ref9's thiner sound.

As posted earlier I haven't been able to do more testing so I'm only with a couple of hours with both amps. I was hoping, however, to hear great diferences between the two and my first impressions revealed the Classé to be more pleasing long term and the Ref9's with less bass weight, but not a huge difference. Longer testing may show differently.

Mav

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
                interesting. I just sold my Ref9's in favor of the CA-3200. I have naut802's.

I didn't feel as though the ref9's did the speakers justice. I felt as though the ref9's had a decent soundstage, and was fine for HT only, but 2ch performance lacked severly. there was little to no depth in comparison and lacked in detail and bass.
                Class D gets mixed reviews...
                Listeners have a wide variety of reactions to them

I will say this: The average consumer when doing a comparison, tends to love the Class D sound... when I say average consumer I'm not trying to insult anybody or imply anything other than, regular non-audiophile (but still people who love music) listeners tend to really enjoy a well made class D amplifier...

I sure enjoy them...
                -

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"