X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amdan
    • Sep 2006

What is the maximum power a speaker can handle

I have read somewhere that there is no maximum amplifier power for a speaker as long as it is clean power.

I run my 802N with a Bryston 14B ST which delivers 570W. From memory the speaker is rated 50 - 500 W. I have had no problems with this setup. However, I am considering biamping. I have a couple of Bryston monoblocks (120W) which I want to throw into the mix. Will this be a problem?
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

First, your premise is wrong. You can blow up any speaker with enough power. That said, just because your amp is rated at 570W is no reason to assume it is putting out that much power or, if it is, that it is doing so more than instantaneously.

Second, why would you want to bother biamping when the 14B ST has sufficient power for almost any domestic room situation with the 802Ns? The only reason I can think of is megalomania.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Aldo
      • Sep 2005

Why don't you put some TURBOSINA (THE AIRPLANES FUEL) on your Honda Civic, I read somewhere that they can handle any power!!!!
      No, just kiding!
      Maybe they can handle 1000 watts for about .0000001 seconds, but make it .000002 and they will blow, that for shure!

Comment

• ejuanpiman
        • Nov 2006

If you were to put Airplane Fuel, your engine would not blow up, airplane fuel has higher octane fuel than conventional, wich would act better as in preventing detonation and avoiding knock in the cylinders and the car will not pull timing so you would see the diffrence in performance, what will happen though as in the engine does not make the best out of the fuel, it will start carbonizing valves and what so and creating long term damage.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Bah, Higher octane is harder to burn, so your hondas vtec would never kick in.
          B&W

Comment

• ejuanpiman
            • Nov 2006

lol yeap , no ricer here I mean honda.

Comment

• amdan
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
              First, your premise is wrong. You can blow up any speaker with enough power. That said, just because your amp is rated at 570W is no reason to assume it is putting out that much power or, if it is, that it is doing so more than instantaneously.

Second, why would you want to bother biamping when the 14B ST has sufficient power for almost any domestic room situation with the 802Ns? The only reason I can think of is megalomania.

Kal
              Are you trying to be insulting Kal? Having a bad day?

Comment

• amdan
                • Sep 2006

I am still looking for an answer to my original question. I would appreciate some helpful feedback.

The discussion re airplane fuel is not helping as I do not have a Honda Civic! :rofl:

Comment

• chinets
                  • Jun 2005

Megalomania, Jet fuel ,and the Guy has a Honda !!! :rofl:
                  Houston we have a problem !!!! :E
                  Everyone is putting more fuel on the fire!!! :rofl:
                  Yes, Amdan turn the knob all the way, then see if it blows?? I bet that would be a great experiment for the forum, and everyone on this thread would know if your speakers could handle an amp throwing above the 500W you have just told us about.!! :W
                  Just kidding, but I guess if you have clean power ,and don't Max the volume, then you should be in the GREEN zone, so I guess you would be OK!!! :T
                  Cheers!

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by amdan
                    Are you trying to be insulting Kal? Having a bad day?
                    Nope. I just find such efforts and expenditures wrong-headed. I would sooner spend the money elsewhere since I see no advantage in having such excess power. The system will not play any louder because the speaker, itself, has output and thermal limits.

Kal
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• audioqueso
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ejuanpiman
                      lol yeap , no ricer here I mean honda.
                      Race Car Driver DOES drive a SRT4 Neon. Be careful using the R word with him "before I leave tread marks on your face!" (The Fast & The Furious) :B
                      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• chinets
                        • Jun 2005

Recovered!!! :W And Well Put Kal !! :T ;x(

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                          • Nov 2006

Thats great if he drives an srt4, I take those things all the time I have a couple of friends who own them, as I am now leaving this car and just purchased something a little more chill.

Comment

• Pookie007
                            • Apr 2006

I always thought clean power allowed you to reach the maximum power levels without concern of blowing stuff up. But if you have dirty power, you could blow up prior to reaching the limit.

A few more things to consider is:
                            B&W has a safety factor in their number.
                            You probably won't be utilizing all the power you have even though it is available at the amp.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Just buy the biggest Krells you can find and call it a day *shrug*
                              B&W

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                                • Apr 2006

When the physical components of your speakers' drivers and crossovers begin to melt and smoke and smell odd, then you know you have reached their limit. But unless you are seriously trying to recreate Metallica concert level SPLs in your living room, you will unlikely ever reach those limits of your speakers with any amp you currently own or will likely ever own.

Comment

• chinets
                                  • Jun 2005

OOh!!! to replicate Metallica in your own home :E Interesting !! :W
                                  Ask ALDO !! :rofl: He probably has broken the sound barrier a couple of times with his gear!! :rofl:
                                  Add a couple of Krell 700 W Mono blocks to your system ,and that I believe, will come close enough!! :roll: :W
                                  Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"