X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caberxx
    • Jan 2010

Maximum volume??

I am new to the Classe world. Six months ago I purchased a pair of CA-M400 amps, the CP700 preamp and the CDP202. I'm very impressed with the sound, but have a quick question. With my previous stereo set up (Arcam), I would never turn the volume past half, otherwise the amps would distort. So essentially, 50% was full power - which was very very loud. However, with the Classe, 50 on the dial is very quiet and I find myself turning the preamp up to 75 or 80 to get real volume. I've never gone past 80 because I'm sure my speakers (20 year old Monitor Audio 1800Gold) would blow up. But, if I had speakers that could handle the power (such as a pair of 802 Diamonds), could I actually turn the preamp to 100? Is the design of the Classe preamp such that 100 is actually 100% power, or would everything distort like it did on my old Arcam? Has anyone ever turned their preamp to 100?
  • Sharp 1080
    • Dec 2009

Don't focus on the numbers just listen for distortion

Never try to compare your old pre to a new one. The same analogy of comparing an ex wife to the current wife. I'm prety sure with your old Arcam the gain was higher so you didn't have to use as much of the "volume" control. The gain on the Classe is lower allowing you to use more of the range of the volume pot.You're still hearing the same db's just with different numerical readings. I'm sure you'll find the point of audible distortion without damaging your speakers? :roll:

Comment

• sc2
      • Feb 2008

Meter it

I would suggest you get an SPL meter to check volume output, this would be a better volume indicator.
      Steve

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by caberxx
        I am new to the Classe world. Six months ago I purchased a pair of CA-M400 amps, the CP700 preamp and the CDP202. I'm very impressed with the sound, but have a quick question. With my previous stereo set up (Arcam), I would never turn the volume past half, otherwise the amps would distort. So essentially, 50% was full power - which was very very loud. However, with the Classe, 50 on the dial is very quiet and I find myself turning the preamp up to 75 or 80 to get real volume. I've never gone past 80 because I'm sure my speakers (20 year old Monitor Audio 1800Gold) would blow up. But, if I had speakers that could handle the power (such as a pair of 802 Diamonds), could I actually turn the preamp to 100? Is the design of the Classe preamp such that 100 is actually 100% power, or would everything distort like it did on my old Arcam? Has anyone ever turned their preamp to 100?
        You have not only differences in gain/input sensitivity at play but probably volume control taper as well. It is these differences in taper that are often responsible for volume control range differences between components. Analog volume control potentiometers only attenuate the input signal. At its minimum volume position, the pot is applying maximum attenuation. As you turn the pot clockwise, the degree of attenuation is decreased. Here's the link to a previous thread on a similar topic :

Comment

• caberxx
          • Jan 2010

Thanks. I've also done some research on the net. As your other post said, all the volume control does is attenuate the signal, and different volume controls will do it differently. Turning the volume to max (or 100 on the Classe) simply means that no attenuation is happening. This is actually what my CP-700 does automatically when I set the input selector to SSP. Setting the volume to max (zero attenuation) does not create any distortion. However, at max the amps or speakers may very well distort. That is, the distortion is caused by the amps and/or speakers, not by volume setting. I'd be curious to see if the CA-M400's can handle zero attenuation. Hopefully one day I'll own a pair of speakers that will allow me to find out.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"