X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trz06
    • Feb 2007

804S left/right spacing question

What are the optimum left / right spacing for the 804S for HT & 2 channel audio?

I am assuming the settings are different for the two.

Is there a compromise to achieve a good left / right balance for HT and a nice "open" & "imaginary" center stage for 2 channel audio.

My upcoming situation will call for them to be about
    8 ft. apart.

Thanks
    Mains: 804S
    Center: HTM3
    Surrounds: Sig 7NT (in wall)
    Sub: DD10
    Pre-amp: Anthem AVM 50
    Power Amp: Rotel 1095
    DVD Player: Pioneer Elite DV79
    TV: Samsung 56" DLP 1080P
  • Fife
    • Apr 2004

You may want to list your full room dimensions.

Comment

• trz06
      • Feb 2007

Sorry, it is about 15' X 15' with 3 closed walls and 1 (left) open wall.
      Mains: 804S
      Center: HTM3
      Surrounds: Sig 7NT (in wall)
      Sub: DD10
      Pre-amp: Anthem AVM 50
      Power Amp: Rotel 1095
      DVD Player: Pioneer Elite DV79
      TV: Samsung 56" DLP 1080P

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

I had my 703s fronts at about 8 feet initially, and felt the music sounded too centered/compressed. I now have them about 15 feet and the sound has become much more open/transparent. I also moved them away from the wall about 2+ feet.

I also had a problem with front wall space in one of my home(s) HT set-ups, and had no room for my large ADS 910 reference speakers along with a 58" Pioneer Elite rear projection HDTV and my equipment cabinet. So, I moved one of the speakers to the front right corner, and the other to the left rear corner. This setup really produces some terrific home theater, and stereo- as long as you don't get hung up with having to have both of your fronts (in front) for stereo. In this setup, I also run (4) surrounds, a center channel, and (2) sub woofers (one in front and the other in the rear).

Comment

• Aldo
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by beden1
          I had my 703s at about 8 feet initially, and felt the music sounded too centered/compressed. I now have them about 15 feet and the sound has become much more open/transparent. I also moved them away from the wall about 2+ feet.
          What about the Phantom center image, are you still getting it focused with that separation of the speakers?

Comment

• scanido
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by beden1
            I had my 703s fronts at about 8 feet initially, and felt the music sounded too centered/compressed. I now have them about 15 feet and the sound has become much more open/transparent. I also moved them away from the wall about 2+ feet.

I also had a problem with front wall space in one of my home(s) HT set-ups, and had no room for my large ADS 910 reference speakers along with a 58" Pioneer Elite rear projection HDTV and my equipment cabinet. So, I moved one of the spekers to the front right corner, and the other to the left rear corner. This setup really produces some terrific home theater, and stereo- as long as you don't get hung up with having to have both of your fronts (in front) for stereo. In this setup, I also run (4) surrounds, a center channel, and (2) sub woofers (one in front and the other in the rear).
            How far did you sit from the speakers?

From what i heard you should sit equally distanced from the speakers in reference to how far apart the speakers are from eachother i.e; if distance b/w speakers is 10ft you should sit 10ft.

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Aldo
              What about the Phantom center image, are you still getting it focused with that separation of the speakers?
              Yes I am. I have the 703s angled/toed-in and the center stage is still very present. I have played with speaker positioning quite a bit in this setup, as I currently don't have any surrounds . . . just the fronts, center channel, and (2) 750s (one on the inside of each 703, also toed in at the same angle). I am very happy with the stereo imaging at this point.

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                How far did you sit from the speakers?

From what i heard you should sit equally distanced from the speakers in reference to how far apart the speakers are from eachother i.e; if distance b/w speakers is 10ft you should sit 10ft.
                The room with the 703s is very large in volume (approximately 39'L, by 18'W, with 24' ceilings) The closest side chairs are about 12', and the couch is about 16-17' (along back wall). The couch is on the opposite wall from the TV/stereo/speakers. The center imaging (listening to 2 channel) is the best while sitting on the couch, as each side chair is nearly directly in front of each of the front speakers.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"