B&W Center speaker above T.V. screen or Below?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

B&W Center speaker above T.V. screen or Below?

Just being curious here? :roll:
    How many B&W owners or HT/ Multichannel..SACD or DVD-A affecionados here would put there center speaker over there T.V. screen ,whether Plasma or normal T.V. ,or rather put it under their screen???
    I personally find the Center speaker sound comming from above the T.V. to be more realistic. As if you are looking up to the stage ,especially in DVD-Video concerts or when you listen to Multichannel. What are your opinions out there?? :W
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all and your dear families!!
    Cheers and thanks In advance. ;x(
    Above T.V.
    26.83%
    Below T.V.
    63.41%
    Both up or down are good
    4.88%
    No opinion
    4.88%
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

In a perfect situation, I would like my center below the screen, more in line vertically with my L/R speakers. Unfortunately, I still have the larger type (i.e., floorstanding) rptv, so the speaker sits conveniently on top, with the help of a thick piece of glass to prevent sagging. Not a bad thing, but not ideal, I believe.
    Brad

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI chinets,

Good to talk to you again.

I have my HTM4 mounted over the top of my 42" plasma. I tried both under and over and decided that I didn't hear enough difference to worry about.

I have the L/R 805S's toed in and the center speaker angled (toe down?? ) such that the tweeter axis from all front speakers intersect at the listening (watching) position. I don't hear any image disconnect between the HTM4, the 805s's and the TV like I thought I would. Works for me in my listening room.

Sparky

Comment

• beehive
        • May 2005

Originally posted by chinets
        Just being curious here? :roll:
        How many B&W owners or HT/ Multichannel..SACD or DVD-A affecionados here would put there center speaker over there T.V. screen ,whether Plasma or normal T.V. ,or rather put it under their screen???
        I personally find the Center speaker sound comming from above the T.V. to be more realistic. As if you are looking up to the stage ,especially in DVD-Video concerts or when you listen to Multichannel. What are your opinions out there?? :W
        Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all and your dear families!!
        Cheers and thanks In advance. ;x(
        I agree with you chinets... MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL B&W OWNERS!!!

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
          • Mar 2005

Mine is below my plasma but in almost perfect alignment with my N804 mains. So maybe my response doesn't apply as I have probably as perfect as using a center can be placement than most people out there using centers. This was key as I can hear when a center is placed above or below enough from the mid/tweeter plane of the main speakers to drive me nuts with the resultant effects. I noticed myself constantly focusing on how odd the soundstage sounds and spending a lot of time staring at the center channel. I don't have that problem with my setup whether it be listening to music or watching movies.

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

My HTM2D (centre) rests on a rack-stand below the wall-mounted plasma. The HTM2D tweeter is 9cm (3,5") below the horizontal 803D (fronts) tweeter alignment. Probably not perfect, but I'm ok with this.

Comment

• Ted
              • May 2006

I'm curious, are there any ways to mount a B & W center channel to the wall, say like a HTM7? I've got a LCD with a narrow top, so it can't sit there, my TV stand doesn't have tall enough shelves for it to sit on. I have a '05-'06 Rotel catalog that shows an 800 series center mounted to the wall above a TV, but I wasn't sure if this could really be done or not.
              I love my B & W 2 channel system so much, I may have to trade my Klipsch ops: HT system out for B & W, but I don't know what to do with the center.

I could go with 704s with the CM center, but would rather stay in the 700 series if I could.
              Thanks!
              Ted
              Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• dknightd
                • Mar 2006

I voted no comment, because I think it depends on the rest of your setup.
                Is the center of your screen at eye level? Where is the tweater of the L&R with respect to screen center? I like to keep lrc as aligned as close as possible, and as close to center screen as possible.

All things being equal I'd prefer to have it above (at least that is what I do).

Those big B&W centers are big and heavy though. If I had one of them I might have to mount it below screen.

I wonder has anybody tried a center both above and below? Does than result in a nice phatom image in the middle of the screen, or, a comb filtered horrible mess?

Comment

• dknightd
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Ted
                  I'm curious, are there any ways to mount a B & W center channel to the wall, say like a HTM7?
                  Of course. You can mount it any where you want. Sturdy shelf brackets firmly attached to the wall work fine. If you are in a typical USA stud house, attach the brakets to studs (or a board mounted between studs), otherwise just make sure the brackets are well mounted. No need for an actual shelf - just rest, or attach, the speaker to the brakets. If you can't do it yourself a competant handyman could probably do it for <2 hours of labour, plus parts. If he/she has to do both (select and install) then allow for more hours of labour. If he/she has to start with plans, then build it, then make it look pretty, allow even more labor hours.

Comment

• Ted
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by dknightd
                    Of course. You can mount it any where you want. Sturdy shelf brackets firmly attached to the wall work fine. If you are in a typical USA stud house, attach the brakets to studs (or a board mounted between studs), otherwise just make sure the brackets are well mounted. No need for an actual shelf - just rest, or attach, the speaker to the brakets. If you can't do it yourself a competant handyman could probably do it for <2 hours of labour, plus parts. If he/she has to do both (select and install) then allow for more hours of labour. If he/she has to start with plans, then build it, then make it look pretty, allow even more labor hours.
                    Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad. I didn't think of this before, would having it that close to the wall be a problem for the sound. Given that a HTM7 is over 11 inches deep, that's a pretty deep shelf (or even just the brackets), so I imagine the center would need to be basically right against the wall. It is ported on the front, so I figure that should help, right?

Thanks again!
                    Ted
                    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• dknightd
                      • Mar 2006

You can put the speaker as far away from the wall as you want - as long as your wall mount brackets are strong enough - which should not be a problem in a typical home.
                      Buy, or have built, good strong brackets. Oversize them so you can mount the bracket upside down (to hide the part that attaches to the wall)

Just attach 1x3 oak (or strong hardwood of your choice) to the shelf brackets. Put your speaker up there. Or use a cheap 2x4 for testing then get pretty looking wood or metal at the length and strength you need. Chose the distance you like. Then trim the shelf brackets to fit your needs. Make them look pretty, or, more solid, or both as you see fit.

edit: you can always suspend it, or part of it, from your ceiling if it needs more support (not likely)

Comment

• Ted
                        • May 2006

dknightd,

Thanks, I appreciate the help, HMMM B & W.... :W

Ted
                        Ted

Comment

• yourtoys7
                          • Feb 2006

I said above, as my eyes hit the center of the screen. If that would be projector or plasma on the wall, bellow for shure.
                          Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
                          PSB T6,
                          Velodyne SPL 1000R
                          Rotel RSX-1057
                          Rotel RB-1070
                          OPPO 103
                          Apple TV
                          [

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
                            • Jun 2006

Below

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

I think it depends on the setup, but I guess with a TV, below is more the common and proper way. Its not always an option too, and thats understandable.

I have my HTM1 so the tweet is about an inch below the TV, and as mentioned the best option would be to have the mid/tweet at the same hight as the front L&R.

But I would rather have the TV at eye level than the center. I prefer not to get a sore neck as I relax and watch a movie

B&W

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"