X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moonlightdrive21
    • Dec 2005

Mcintosh/Classe with B&W 802D

Hey guys:

If you are able to respond, but would rather not do so publicly, my e-mail is moonlightdrive@comcast.net

I was thinking of upgrading my amps for my 802D speakers.

I was leaning towards the Mcintosh C46 and MC402 combo. For those who have this setup, how do you find it with rock music in your opinion? I want more bass punch and music separation than I currently have. I currently have a Classe CA200 which is a 200w amp and a CA50 Classe preamp.

Most importantly, does anyone know any dealers that have special programs where you don't have to make payments for a year or two?

Is there a general way to distinguish these Mc amps to the similar priced Classe ones? For example, which areas does each brand stand out in, such as better bass or midrange or transaparency/openess or sweeter on the tweeter, etc.? I know it's a matter of taste, room, source, other components, etc, but I'm just looking for your opinions based on your ears and taste.

I listen to mostly rock by the way .

Thanks!!!
    Dave
    Last edited by moonlightdrive21; 26 October 2006, 22:32 Thursday.
  • Jesse111
    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by moonlightdrive21
    Hey guys:

I was thinking of upgrading my amps for my 802D speakers.

I was leaning towards the Mcintosh C46 and MC402 combo. For those who have this setup, how do you find it with rock music in your opinion? I want more bass punch and music separation than I currently have. I currently have a Classe CA200 which is a 200w amp and a CA50 Classe preamp.

Is there a general way to distinguish these Mc amps to the similar priced Classe ones? For example, which areas does each brand stand out in, such as better bass or midrange or transaparency/openess or sweeter on the tweeter, etc.? I know it's a matter of taste, room, source, other components, etc, but I'm just looking for your opinions based on your ears and taste.

I listen to mostly rock by the way .

Thanks!!!
    Dave
    I have 800D. I've had the C46 with a pair of Mac 501's. I also listen to mostly rock music. But my taste is varied from classical to metal. The C46 is a warm sound. The sound stage is deep and full. However the depth of the stage I felt was due mostly to the warm, laid back signature of the C46. You may find more resolution with some other pre's but you would be hard pressed to find anything more musical. I use the MCD/MDA now which is superior in every way. But it is 4 times the retail price as a combo. There is no fatigue whatsoever with the C46 which is very good for rock music. The EQ can give you that extra bump at the 35hz range or even the 20hz range but the 802 won't handle the 20hz increase very well. Just a pinch perhaps. The C46 is flexible, easy to use and sounds excellent. I'm a bass nut too. But keep in mind, depending on your level of critical listening, the soundstage and imaging may fuzz up just a bit when adding bass. Not a problem for a Prong concert but worth mentioning nonetheless. Additonal subs are an option as well for chest pounding live concert bass. But the trade-off will be accuracy.
    Last edited by Jesse111; 28 October 2006, 23:02 Saturday.

Comment

• Aldo
      • Sep 2005

Jesse: Are you using the McIntosh MCD1000 and MDA1000, I'm between buying them or the Classe Omega SACD.
      Any thoughts?
      I do not know anyone who is ussing 800's and that transport/DAC combo!

Comment

• Jesse111
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Aldo
        Jesse: Are you using the McIntosh MCD1000 and MDA1000, I'm between buying them or the Classe Omega SACD.
        Any thoughts?
        I do not know anyone who is ussing 800's and that transport/DAC combo!
        I have not herd the Omega player. But I have used many high end players and pre's. I will now describe to you my view of how the MCD/MDA combo with Mac 501's sound with the 800D's.

I am strictly two channel redbook. I connect the MDA directly to the amps. When I first intalled the MDA into my system I had never experienced an improvement of that magnitude before.

The soundstage moved forward. It did not thin out, it just moved closer, more up front. The depth was excellent. I perceived more air around the instruments thus leading to more defined imaging. That aspect of the performance is spectacular.

My trek was to find detail without harsh or grain. I searched 20 yrs and it ended here. The detail is incredible and yet smooth. No fatigue like with other high end gear. I found the Simaudio Andromeda/P8 combo to give me incredible detail with the trade off of true musicality.

The MCD/MDA nails it with the 800D's like nothing I've ever heard. Subtleties are now present that I never heard before. The sound is so clean it amazes me everytime I hear it. Additionally, you get the sonic signature of the Mac warmth that I've never heard in anything else. Other Mac gear has the warmth and realism that is unique to them, but only the MDA/MCD exposes the true potential and detail of redbook. Their equipment sounds like the real thing. That's why some "audiophiles" don't care for them. But I've heard some audiophile systems that I couldn't stand for 20 minutes. Detail, yes but hardly lifelike.

The MCD/MDA with the 800D is real. Offering detail and musicality that will make you forget your gear and pull you into the music like never before. That is my experience. I've had this equipment for about a month and that view has not changed. When I play music I now just simply relax and enjoy. I don't even ponder the thought of different gear or whether or not I'm missing something... I'm not.

Lastly, I have a good friend who's a vinyl guy. Since the addition of the MCD/MDA into my system, he now admits that digital is in fact capable of the analog sound he prefers. He helped me right the original review I posted over at Audiokarma.

My vinyl buddy came over and we spent some time A/B-ing with and without. We used Steely Dan's Aja CD as reference due to the familiarity to both of us. Our findings were very similar. With the C46 in the system we found it very listenable. Fatigue would be a non issue. Hours of listening...

Comment

• boss
          • Aug 2006

Jesse111

Can you describe you 2-channel setup again please because I lost track of it over time? including interconnect and spker wire? (You can PM me if some topics are not permitted here).

Some pictures would be most helpful. My e-mail address is numero_nove@mac.com. Thanks so much.

Comment

• Aldo
            • Sep 2005

[QUOTE=Jesse111]I have not herd the Omega player. But I have used many high end players and pre's. I will now describe to you my view of how the MCD/MDA combo with Mac 501's sound with the 800D's......

Thank you very much Jesse!
            That will help me alot! ;x( ;x(

Comment

• Jesse111
              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by boss
              Jesse111

Can you describe you 2-channel setup again please because I lost track of it over time? including interconnect and spker wire? (You can PM me if some topics are not permitted here).

Some pictures would be most helpful. My e-mail address is numero_nove@mac.com. Thanks so much.
              Sure thing boss.

McIntosh MCD1000
              McIntosh MDA1000
              McIntosh 501 monoblocks
              B&W 800D
              Equi=Tech 3Q
              Equi=Tech 1.5Q
              DHLabs D110 digital cable
              DHLabs Air Matrix interconnects
              Cobalt Cable Ultimate speaker cable bi-wired.

My interconnects are DHLabs Silver Sonic Air Matrix but I'm not real particular about cables. I got them because I feel they are very well made with good dialect for the long term and true ohm conistancy. Also, I know I can't tell any difference with bi-wiring but Cobalts are not expensive and I do it because it looks cool and it's fun.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Jesse111
                • Jul 2005

Thank you very much Jesse!
                That will help me alot! ;x( ;x(
                You are absolutely welcome.

I'd like to mention one more important point. Installing a preamp in the signal path will change the performance of the MDA. I did some extensive A/B's and the change was clearly evident. The MDA direct to amps is without question the prefered way in order to get the most out of the unit. However, if that is not possible I would still endorse the MDA/MCD as the best player on earth based on my experience in comparison with the units I've heard in my life.

Comment

• Aldo
                  • Sep 2005

Great! Great setup! :jawdrop:
                  I just can imagin how good that must sound!
                  I will order my MCD/MDA soon and let you know!

Comment

• boss
                    • Aug 2006

jessee111

Thanks ;x( ;x( ;x( !

MCD1000 -----> MDA1000 ------> MC501 monoblk?

Comment

• Jesse111
                      • Jul 2005

double post sorry.

Comment

• Jesse111
                        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Aldo
                        Great! Great setup!
                        I just can imagin how good that must sound!
                        I will order my MCD/MDA soon and let you know!
                        Thanks and I'm not afraid to say it certainly does sound spectacular.

Yes please do share your opinion on them, I'll be looking forward to it. You may appreciate knowing the transport is the all aluminum transport out of the old $20,000 Linn player.

Money very wisely spent.

Comment

• Jesse111
                          • Jul 2005

jessee111

Thanks ;x( ;x( ;x( !

MCD1000 -----> MDA1000 ------> MC501 monoblk?
                          Yes. I use a 110 ohm AES/EBU XLR from the MCD to the MDA then quality XLR interconnects straight to the amps from the MDA.

Clean, simple, spectacular performance.

Comment

• Aldo
                            • Sep 2005

What boss does not know is that the DAC has volume attenuator!

Comment

• boss
                              • Aug 2006

;x( ;x( again!!

Comment

• boss
                                • Aug 2006

Thanks Aldo.

Comment

• Aldo
                                  • Sep 2005

Thanks Aldo.
                                  Your very welcome! :T

Comment

• boss
                                    • Aug 2006

jesse111

Mind telling me what is that black and silver thing on the 2 bottom shelves please?

Comment

• Jesse111
                                      • Jul 2005

jesse111

Mind telling me what is that black and silver thing on the 2 bottom shelves please?
                                      That's the Equitech 1.5Q

The larger one in the center of the speakers is the 3Q

Comment

• boss
                                        • Aug 2006

Jesse111

:T :T

Comment

• Jesse111
                                          • Jul 2005

jesse111

Sorry boss, I missed the second to the bottom shelf you asked about. That is my cheapie DVD player for movies. Pioneer Elite CV-46. I'm pure 2 channel but I have a big screen on wheels that I roll in the room once in a great while to watch a movie with the wife. I use the PCM down mix feature to send the signal to the MDA as if the movie soundtracks were redbook. Certainly not a videophile setup but that is of no real concern to me. To me the movie looks great and sounds terrific.

Now for 2 channel audio... Daddy don't skimp. :T

Comment

• boss
                                            • Aug 2006

jesse111

You are my role model! :T

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"