X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdonda
    • Nov 2010

Classe vs. McIntosh

I am new to the forum after purchasing a Classe CA-3200. When deciding on an amp, I narrowed my choices down to Mcintosh and Classe. It was a difficult decision and I wanted to know if any other Classe owners considered Mcintosh. If so, what were your reasons for choosing Classe?

My experience: I liked the smooth sound of the Mcintosh along with the reputation of built quality, but ultimately chose the Classe because I found the tonal balance to be better. The synergy with B&W speakers was great and the overall sound authoritative and very easey to listen to. The bass and dynamics are definately better.
    Last edited by mdonda; 08 November 2010, 16:18 Monday.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

mdonda,

First of all, welcome to the forum! I anticipate you will enjoy it here.

As to your choice, it's an excellent one. I went the other way. I bought McIntosh. I very much liked both of the brands. But for me, the Mac's won the day.

You experience has simply validated that your ears are the best tool in deciding what to get.

Which B&W's do you have?

Enjoy your listening.

Comment

• mdonda
      • Nov 2010

Appreciate the welcome. Currently I have the B&W 683, but will hopefully upgrade to the 804d/803d. Very nice setup...would love to own a pair of 802d's myself. Any particular reason that you chose Mac?

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

mdonda,

683's are quite nice, and should be sweet with the 3200. I also like the plan to get to the Diamond series. That series is quite exceptional. Will work quite well with your Classe.

I actually demoed Mac, Class and Krell. All three are outstanding performers. All had many strengths, and very few weaknesses. It came down to what provided the complete overall package. For me, it was the Mac. For you, it was the Classe.

Comment

• mdonda
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by htsteve
          mdonda,

683's are quite nice, and should be sweet with the 3200. I also like the plan to get to the Diamond series. That series is quite exceptional. Will work quite well with your Classe.

I actually demoed Mac, Class and Krell. All three are outstanding performers. All had many strengths, and very few weaknesses. It came down to what provided the complete overall package. For me, it was the Mac. For you, it was the Classe.
          I am considering pairing a Mac preamp with the classe to warm up the sound a bit. Any idea if that combo would also smooth the sound out abit. I am definately a fan of the smooth tube sound, but really liked the tonal balance and bass ot the classe - hoping by combining the two I could get the sound I am after.

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

Have alwayes loved the look and sound of MC, but as soon as I get that $2 piece of plastic #]}{#{ remote in my hand then I loose interest.
            Also the lack of remote display turn off illumination is not that great if you need to use if for home cinema as well..
            But love the look and sound.....

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"