X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ami_gr
    • Sep 2006

Cd Player For My 802d

I m looking for a a cd player for my krell kav400xi / b&w 802d system.

Max budget 3500 euros.

What do you think of meridian g08, krell sacd std, marantz sa11s1.....
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

Give the Classe a listen also.
    Greg

Comment

• chuck1801
      • Feb 2006

The Krell SACD Standard would be my choice of the ones listed. Don't overlook the Denon 5910, plays everything well and quickly (if only it had balanced outs) even shows the track number. If the Ayre C-5xe is in your budget, it is sort of the obvious choice.

Comment

• skuzzyb
        • Mar 2006

Classe CDP202. Very transparent sound

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

For a dedicated cd player, I would tend towards the Meridian G08. It should compliment the Krell quite favourably.

Please let us know what you decide upon.

Good luck :T

Comment

• kurtholz
            • Feb 2005

arcam dv139 comes out next month, i love my dv29

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• Joey_V
              • Jul 2005

Demoed the Classe CDP202 vs the Ayre $6000 unit... no contest.

Ayre was far better on the 802D IMO.
              Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
              Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
              System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Charles
                • Jul 2006

Whichever you choose, I highly recommend a blind fold test to find your personal sound. I would expect them to be very similar at this level.
                Last edited by Charles; 25 October 2006, 09:26 Wednesday.

Comment

• Aldo
                  • Sep 2005

Stereophile October recomended components issue, lists the next (in your budget) CD players:
                  A+ Ayre C-5xe $5950usd
                  A+ Classe CDP-202 $6500usd
                  Sony SCD-XA9000ES $2999usd

Comment

• Eliav
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Aldo
                    Stereophile October recomended components issue, lists the next (in your budget) CD players:
                    A+ Ayre C-5xe $5950usd
                    A+ Classe CDP-202 $6500usd
                    Sony SCD-XA9000ES $2999usd
                    I find the cdp202 an excellent choice if hooked up to other classe gear.
                    I use the cdp202- cp700 stereo pre- cam400 monos - 802d. it really is a great sounding combo IMHO.
                    Eliav
                    :T Socrat

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Joey_V
                      Demoed the Classe CDP202 vs the Ayre $6000 unit... no contest.

Ayre was far better on the 802D IMO.
                      I compared the Ayre cx7e and 5e, and while I will probably be flamed, didnt feel there was enough of an improvement to justify the cost. I think it just adds 2 ch sacd and slight improvement. i'd guess in a blind test, unidentifiable.
                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Joey_V
                        • Jul 2005

All I know is I heard the Ayre C5xe and the Classe CDP202 on the same exact system.

Transparent cables used throughout, Ayre K7xe preamp, Classe CA2200 amp, BW 802D as the speaker, treated room.

Difference was much more than subtle. The difference was like putting in a better amp into the system as the image tightened up considerably with the Ayre vs the Classe 202. Better blackness around each instrument along with lack of any grain made the Ayre, to my ears, a better choice in that particular audition.

Joey
                        Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                        Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                        System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• sikoniko
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2003

All I know is I heard the Ayre C5xe and the Classe CDP202 on the same exact system.

Transparent cables used throughout, Ayre K7xe preamp, Classe CA2200 amp, BW 802D as the speaker, treated room.

Difference was much more than subtle. The difference was like putting in a better amp into the system as the image tightened up considerably with the Ayre vs the Classe 202. Better blackness around each instrument along with lack of any grain made the Ayre, to my ears, a better choice in that particular audition.

Joey
                          not to discredit you in any way, but Im wondering if the use of the ayre preamp with the ayre cdp brought allowed for design benefits to be used from the synergy of the two.

had you used the classe pre and cdp, it might have been a similar result, with the classe type sound.

while mixing and matching brands can have great benefits, in my opinion, the synergy from using the same brand offers a great benefit, as the products might be more tuned to each others nuances.
                          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Nolan B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
                            not to discredit you in any way, but Im wondering if the use of the ayre preamp with the ayre cdp brought allowed for design benefits to be used from the synergy of the two.

had you used the classe pre and cdp, it might have been a similar result, with the classe type sound.

while mixing and matching brands can have great benefits, in my opinion, the synergy from using the same brand offers a great benefit, as the products might be more tuned to each others nuances.
                            this may be a dumb question, but would it matter what Pre amp is being used if its being bypassed? I assume that the CD players are being connected by the analog connections and totally bypassing the Pre...no?

Comment

• Jesse111
                              • Jul 2005

Not familiar with those but if I may make a suggestion. The McIntosh 201's initial read is slow. Some parts are less than the best quality. But I've owned it and I can tell you first hand the sound is amazingly good for real world music. Still quite detailed but very smooth and warm.

It is not anylitical and sterile. It just played music extremely well on my 800D's.

Comment

• tboooe
                                • Jun 2005

I think it really depends on sound the poster is after. Every piece of gear has a signature sound. I found the Ayre to be bery quick, and (excuse the pun) airy. The sound was very holographic. I personally have the Cary 306SACD. I prefer the darker, sound of the Cary which emphasizes the midrange with weight and a sense of intimacy that I did not find in our cdp I auditioned. So, I think it would be extremely helpful if the poster could describe what sound they like and what they want to achieve with the cdp.

Comment

• ami_gr
                                  • Sep 2006

I think that averybody looks for a warm, transparent sound, especially in the midrange.

I also have to mention that for me the sacd / dvd / dvdaudio is just an option. My collection consists 99% of simple cds so i need a good red book cdp

Comment

• tboooe
                                    • Jun 2005

If you like warm sound especially in the midrange, I would at least look at the Cary 306 SACD. Its redbook playback is excellent, which is what I use it for 99% of the time.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Joey, I don't doubt what you heard but I do question some of your bold statements.

First, an audition comparing the two CDPs requires careful execution. I have a number of questions I could ask but that would take this discussion way off course. However, I know a dealer showroom isn't the most conducive setting to conduct auditions in, especially if YOU didn't have a hand in it. I always control the auditions I conduct in the dealer's store. I never let the salesman do it for me.

Second, I conducted a very extensive comparison of the Ayre C5Xe and Classe' CDP-202 in my very controlled listening room over the course of several days using a pair of B&W 803S. Any differences I could detect were subtle at best. My abridged review of both players, posted in Club Classe' some time ago, came weeks before the one JA published in the August '06 issue of stereophile magazine. The results we each noted were nearly identical.

Third, both players are engineered using many if not most of the same brand and type of components and while this alone is not indicative of the sound quality a CDP will produce it is a very good indicator that more similarities than differences will exist.

Both CDPs are very good players each catering to a specific demographic but neither is a quantum leap over the other. I liked the Ayre but preferred the Classe'.
                                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
                                        this may be a dumb question, but would it matter what Pre amp is being used if its being bypassed? I assume that the CD players are being connected by the analog connections and totally bypassing the Pre...no?
                                        The pre-amp can and most likely will have a significant impact on the signal it passes. In fact, more similarities in sound quality exists among CDPs than they do pre-amps. The pre-amp is by far the single most important component in the electronics chain.

I'm not giving an opinon on this one Sparky. LOL :P
                                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Jesse111
                                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                          The pre-amp is by far the single most important component in the electronics chain.
                                          When I installed the McIntosh MDA as my pre in my system my jaw dropped to the floor with sonic appreciation I'd not known before. Your statement here is completely true.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                            The pre-amp is by far the single most important component in the electronics chain.
                                            Absolutely :T

Comment

• chinets
                                              • Jun 2005

I love the Ayre but also you MUST try LINN they are wonderful too. I personally like the TEAC.
                                              For an all rounder that has SACD, DVD-A and redbook, I would go for the Marantz DV 9600 ,very Musical and plays the best picture DVD-Video I have ever seen!! A real winner here!!

Your ears come first, so lots of Auditions. I know it gets boring and frustrating ,but at the end of the day, you'll have your valuable cash spent on something you will cherish for a long time ,and selected with your own ears and your own choice. Then that will be the taste,and sound of Music you will Love forever!!!
                                              Keep us posted!!
                                              Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"