X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mofi
    • Sep 2006

703 vs 804 question

Hello all. I have recently placed an order for a pair of 703's and I'm starting to think I made the wrong move. It is however not too late to make changes to the order if I need to (doesn't go in till Monday).

My situation... I originally went to the store with the 804's in mind and the sales guy told me I would be better off with 703's because my Rotel RSX-972 (75x5 or 100x2 watts) wont be enough power for them and I would need to purchase a larger amp. Currently I don't have the funds to purchase a larger amp so I took his advise and bought the 703's. I did however demo them in the store with an amp comparable to mine and I wasn't disappointed.

I've been playing with my finances and figured I would be able to purchase a larger amp, probably a Rotel RMB-1095 or comparable, in another year. The question I have for all of you is will I be cringing in annoyance over the next year with an underpowered amp on the 804's?
  • Bluespower
    • Sep 2005

I think you end strategy is good. I have 804s powered by a 1095 and am very pleased.

If you're only a year away from a larger amp, I'd suggest getting the 804s now. If you don't you'll be kicking yourself a year from now.
    Bluespower

Comment

• AptosJeff
      • Jul 2006

mofi,

If the 804's sound better to you and you can afford it, get 'em. Nobody should tell you the 703 is better, only that it may be a better value. Since you said 2 speakers, I'll assume you are mainly interested in 2 ch music, not HT. So, as for the amp, power is not the most important thing, it's the sound quality. I think the efficiency of these 2 spkrs is about the same anyway. You can get some recommendations here, but then listen to the amps with the speaker you will have before you decide. Both of these speakers are pretty revealing of amp deficiencies. Pick the right one for you by listening.

Comment

• Dmantis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by AptosJeff
        mofi,

If the 804's sound better to you and you can afford it, get 'em. Nobody should tell you the 703 is better, only that it may be a better value. Since you said 2 speakers, I'll assume you are mainly interested in 2 ch music, not HT. So, as for the amp, power is not the most important thing, it's the sound quality. I think the efficiency of these 2 spkrs is about the same anyway. You can get some recommendations here, but then listen to the amps with the speaker you will have before you decide. Both of these speakers are pretty revealing of amp deficiencies. Pick the right one for you by listening.
        I can see both sides of this story. The salesman knows that the 804's to sound there best, they need alot of current/power. The receiver will power them and sound pretty good but not as good if they had more. The 703's can also benefit from more power but are better suited for the amount of power he has now. 75 receiver watts from Rotel is good clean power.

But in the end you must do whats right if a year from now your able to get into a 1095 amp, well and only if you think the 804's are a better choice, then get them.There is a chance you may like the 703's more.Sound is personal. Owning the 703's in any case I can't see being a mistake. They are fantastic sounding speakers and are on the level that you could use them for the rest of your audio life and be completely happy.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

Dan

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

Get the 804 if you can. You won't look back. &5w/ch will keep you happy until you can upgrade to at least a 200 w/ch amp. I am currently driving my N804 with a RB-1092 - previously used a RB-1070 (130 w/ch).

Comment

• mofi
            • Sep 2006

Thanks for all the feedback..

I think I just needed a little reassurance that I wouldn't be biting my nails the entire time with the 804s connected to the 972.

I'm going to go with my original plan and get the 804s.

It's funny how this works.. I have this whole upgrade plan/path - now I just need to seed the ideas with my soon to be wife.

I'll stop back and post some thoughts once I get everything (with the 972) hooked up.

Comment

• yourtoys7
              • Feb 2006

miner...
              Now do you like your 1092 ? and have your listed thorugh 1090 by a chance ?. I'm thinking that 1080 might not be enuph and if I would to upgrade later on to 802 might as well get more powerfull amp.
              Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
              PSB T6,
              Velodyne SPL 1000R
              Rotel RSX-1057
              Rotel RB-1070
              OPPO 103
              Apple TV
              [

Comment

• miner
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by yourtoys7
                miner...
                Now do you like your 1092 ? and have your listed thorugh 1090 by a chance ?. I'm thinking that 1080 might not be enuph and if I would to upgrade later on to 802 might as well get more powerfull amp.
                I am estatic with my RB-1092. I have listened to both side-by-side; the edge goes to the RB-1090 but barely. Size & weight were an issue for me so I chose the RB-1092. The 1080 will not be enough for the 802 - plan ahead carefully. The 1090 is no longer made so unless you can find one in dealer stock you will need to buy used. I recently purchased a RLC-1040 and my advisor told me the conditioner would have very little sonic effect on the digital amp vs an analog.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"