X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DER
    • Sep 2006

Is it OK to use B&W 803's as surrounds?

I have a pair of B&W 803s (Matrix series 2) that I bought 10 years ago and have been using as L and R front speaker for home theater. I need some new surrounds (currently using crappy ones). Does it make sense to get another set of new 803s so that I have 803s for both fronts and and surrounds or should I get a speaker designed for surround sound like the DS8S?

Thanks!
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Depends on your room and your taste. I prefer matched full-range speakers all around and the old 803s will be similar enough to the new 803s and moreso than the DS8S. OTOH, some people prefer less specific surround imaging.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I agree with Kal - at least if you're going to get new 803s anyway, you might as well give the Matrix series a shot at surround duty. If you don't like them (which I would doubt) you can always try something else.
      Danish

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by DER
        I have a pair of B&W 803s (Matrix series 2) that I bought 10 years ago and have been using as L and R front speaker for home theater. I need some new surrounds (currently using crappy ones). Does it make sense to get another set of new 803s so that I have 803s for both fronts and and surrounds or should I get a speaker designed for surround sound like the DS8S?

Thanks!
        I think you will be fine :T

Comment

• WI Rotel
          • Jul 2006

The 803 will make for fine surrounds.
          Many "polar" surrounds actually disperse sound in a way not envisioned by the sound engineer, thus actually may hurt rather than improve the surround field. Any good full range speaker will make a good surround. I guess, if you were so inclined, you could use Nautilus mains with 800D surrounds and forgo any subs :twisted: Just imagine all the amps that little setup would entail 8O. The center channel might prove to be a problem though, maybe a screen with an 800D behind it :B Truly a system a sheik could love! When I was in school, it was an institutional policy that we couldn't accept monetary gifts from the frequent visiting emirs, since they were aware of this fact, they opted to give people who served them Rado watches!

Comment

• chinets
            • Jun 2005

WI Rotel,
            Where do you live and what Emirs and Sheiks visiting and where?? I am curious here!!!!

By the way Der you'll be fine with those Old 803's for the surround. I have 803's for the front and 804's for the rear and I am In Heaven!!!!!!!!!!!

It will make a great match for your system ,especially for 5.1 Multichannel and HT!!!
            Good Luck and cheers,
            Chinets

Comment

• WI Rotel
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by chinets
              WI Rotel,
              Where do you live and what Emirs and Sheiks visiting and where?? I am curious here!!!!

By the way Der you'll be fine with those Old 803's for the surround. I have 803's for the front and 804's for the rear and I am In Heaven!!!!!!!!!!!

It will make a great match for your system ,especially for 5.1 Multichannel and HT!!!
              Good Luck and cheers,
              Chinets
              I did my training in one of the "world famous medical centers" that was frequented by most of the royal families of the persian gulf . There are many interesting stories. Most of them have to do with methods of payment, cash for everything, which was dutifully carried in vaults in their planes and disimbursed by their assistants so they wouldn't have to touch money. One particular member was there for a while and among the arrangements for his stay was changing all fixtures he made physical contact with into gold ones so as he could avoid touching "base" metals 8O

Comment

• William
                • Aug 2006

I bought a pair of 803D for the mains and moved my 804 Nautilus to surrounds and couldn't be happier.

Comment

• DER
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                  I did my training in one of the "world famous medical centers" that was frequented by most of the royal families of the persian gulf . There are many interesting stories. Most of them have to do with methods of payment, cash for everything, which was dutifully carried in vaults in their planes and disimbursed by their assistants so they wouldn't have to touch money. One particular member was there for a while and among the arrangements for his stay was changing all fixtures he made physical contact with into gold ones so as he could avoid touching "base" metals 8O

Which medical center was that?

Comment

• WI Rotel
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by DER
                    Which medical center was that?
                    Details cannot be revealed. That is why politicians, the rich and the famous and others go there. Often, when people think they are elsewhere! Simply put, its where many of the world "elite" go, sometimes with official fanfare, sometimes in relative, if not complete, obscurity. Its one of the few places in the world where 2 record systems exist, one for you and me, and one for the people with aliases 8O. But anyway, those details are beyond the point, but they sure made life interesting. It did however shed some light into the inequities of life in the gulf region, a poor prince (there are thousands) still received stipends from the crown in the 10 of thousands of dollars per month. However, as we all know, in most of these countries only the royal families are full citizens the other majority of the population (which does most of the work) are expatriots from all over the world, the foreign "experts" are handsomely compensated while the big majority from poor countries simply have poorly paid jobs with few if any benefits. They usually come from poor muslim countries and send a lot of their earnings back home.

Comment

• chinets
                      • Jun 2005

Very Interesting WI ROTEL, as I currently live in one of the Gulf States now, and it is exactly how you portray it!!!
                      Would love to chit chat with you one day. You have very interesting stories here!!!
                      PM me if you ever have an urge to shoot the breeze!!
                      Cheers!!!!!!!! and Thanks!!!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"