X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ac81017
    • Aug 2006

B&W vs velodyne dd 12

I´m having second thoughts! Or maybe I´m being brainwashed?? There´s a big rage going on here in Sweden about the Velodyne dd series. People are saying forget b&w, and try and buy a Velodyne dd 12, on specs, the dd 12 is a 12inch, 1250watts, 17hz, REMOTE, and it´s all digital!! In other words, you connect it to your tv and follow the menu to set it up!! It´s that easy so to say!! It all sound nice, but I trust you guy a little more than a bunch a silly Swedes!!! I´ve been trying to compare the Velodyne dd 12 against my ASW 750!! Maybe that was a stupid thing to do????
  • Jesse111
    • Jul 2005

I've never owned a B&W sub. However, I always just assumed it would be an excellent piece. But I do own 2 DD 18's. Actually I have one up for sale but I will keep the other one. I won't be of much help here except to say that the Velodyne truly is that easy to set up. They've made it very user friendly. The performance is astounding in my view. I can use it to enhance the fine sub base nuances of jazz and classical or add a little punch to rock and roll all at the touch of a button from my favorite chair. The ability to switch from 6 different presets at the touch of a button and also change volume is invaluble to me. Not all recordings require the same bass settings in my opinion. I used to spend a lot of time getting up and adjusting settings between CD's. To me Velodyne is to subs what B&W is to speakers. Just top of the line. Those silly Swedes just may be on to something. But for all I know the B&W could be an even better performer.

You might find this video interview with Bruce Hall interesting.

home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

Comment

• BassThatHz
      • Jul 2006

I've never heard a b&w sub but I have owned 3 velodyne subs, my current one being the HGS-10 (think predecessor to DD-10)... this sub has very linear cone movement and no audible disstortion that my ear can detect, even when pushing over 105db in-room. In my 4500cu ft room I can hit 18hz at 83db with ease, not bad for a single 10... in fact it puts most low-end 15's to shame and its only a cubic foot in size. The Digital Drive series is even better. Check out the results for yourself: http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index....=50&rid=0&SQ=0

You could probably think of a DD-12 as an asw825 with less distortion.

Comment

• alebonau
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

I have a velo DD15. and honestly very happy with it. The DD12 would be a great buy. the room eq with the built in sms system makes it sub setup for dummies and so easy to setup, use and integrate into your room and system.
        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Boone38
          • Dec 2004

Good choices on either. If it helps I have owned both a B & W and several of the Velodynes. I had the 805s and matched it with the velodyne Hgs 12x. Was seamless and sound quality was very detailed. I currently have the 804s and am looking to upgrade the sub.

Was thinking of the DD12 or the DD15. I was able to hear both the dd12 and the B and W 12". I can not remember the model but the cost was close to the DD12 at 2500.00.

I was more then impressed with the velodyne and will me making an upgrade in the near future. My dealer who sells both also favors the velodyne.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"