X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fauzigarib
    • Aug 2006

Differences b/w the 802d & 803d

Hey there,

Further to my earlier post about being really interested in the 703 but was concerned about my Mac SS Integrated driving it well... well, I had the WONDERFUL opportunity to audition a pair of 703's and 803 D's side by side... Both were powered by Classe separates, and it was a wonderful experience.

I spent about an hour on each speaker, so I can't really say that I had a very long session... nor can I say that I am now intimately familiar with the sounds of both speakers... However, I was surprised to find that the 703's really really held it's own with the 803d.

In fact, I can't clearly say that I prefer the sound of the 803d. I loved the bass extension on the 800 series. It actually blew the 700's out of the water in that regard. However, other than that, each had tremendous details, especially on good lp's and classic cd's. But more on this demo later on.

Anyways, I did see a pair of 802d's there. My question is this: The cabinet on the 802 is certainly more substantial... and there's an extra 8 inch driver there. But my main question is about the midrange driver. Both 802 and 803 have the Kevlar FST midrange driver... But the 802 houses it in that sexy dome.

Even though it's AMAZING to look at... what purpose does it serve? And are the above the only differences b/w the 2 800 series speakers? IOW, is the the crossover network the same in both speakers, though from what i understand, the 802 houses it in the base of the speaker?

I'm tempted... veeeeeeeeery tempted... Can't afford it now, but will manage some way! :B

-Fauzi
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Fauzi,

A tough choice - but someones got to make it.. :P

The 802Ds:
    1) Have a quite different crossover than the 803Ds becuase of the different bass / midrange arrangements (2 bass vs 3 bass)
    2) Have the Marlin head for the FST midrange which IMO really cleans up the sound, removing that slightly "boxy" effect the FST has in in the lesser 800 series.
    3) Have deeper bass (just a little but very noticable in the right room)
    4) Have a more open soundstage in the right room
    5) Have very similar treble to the 803Ds
    6) Are a little more demanding to drive that the 803Ds and really deserve very good amplifiers... I would suspect you would need to upgrade your Macintosh after a while... Especially if you like to play "loud"

Geoff

Comment

• JimTW
      • Apr 2005

All I have to add is that the Marlin head is truely a sonic miracle.

Comment

• tboooe
        • Jun 2005

Get the 802d if you can afford it!!!! I think the mids of the Marlin head is incredible...smooth, realistic, slightly warm and romantic...i cant get enough of my system....need to go home from work now so I can have a listen....

Comment

• fauzigarib
          • Aug 2006

A Bruin said so?!?!? forget it!!!

Tboooe,

A Bruin telling a Trojan what to do?!?!?! After a cold day in he!! maybe!!! :W

Just kidding.... Thanks for the responses...

This always happens to me. I start off with (kind of) a humble quest - namely the 703's... and end up wanting to sell my house and mortgage my kids' futures!

The more I read about it, the more I realize that the 802 is just a technological breakthrough. And the FST midrange driver... wow! Brings water to my eyes thinking someone has actually brought an artwork like that into existence.

So I think my decisions have narrowed down. The 803 is out. I didn't find a HUGE difference between it and the 703... Yes the bass was tighter, yes it looked much nicer... but the price didn't make sense in my mind for the amount of time I spent with it. Anyone else find this?

Now the 802... Hmmmm.... That's a whole different animal there!!! Donations anyone? :E

Fauzi

Comment

• tboooe
            • Jun 2005

fauzi..if I knew you were a Trojan I would have recommended that you get the Bose instead!

Comment

• norpus
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by fauzigarib
              Tboooe,

A Bruin telling a Trojan what to do?!?!?! After a cold day in he!! maybe!!! :W

Just kidding.... Thanks for the responses...

This always happens to me. I start off with (kind of) a humble quest - namely the 703's... and end up wanting to sell my house and mortgage my kids' futures!

The more I read about it, the more I realize that the 802 is just a technological breakthrough. And the FST midrange driver... wow! Brings water to my eyes thinking someone has actually brought an artwork like that into existence.

So I think my decisions have narrowed down. The 803 is out. I didn't find a HUGE difference between it and the 703... Yes the bass was tighter, yes it looked much nicer... but the price didn't make sense in my mind for the amount of time I spent with it. Anyone else find this?

Now the 802... Hmmmm.... That's a whole different animal there!!! Donations anyone? :E

Fauzi
              Fauzi, I have a mate with 703 for his front 3. They are very very nice, don't sell them short. Yes he loves my 802d too, but hey they are nearly 4x the rrp here per pair. Whilst he is out there this month spending up big time on new pre, new cd, and new power amp before, I am sitting here with my 802d with no $ currently to upgrade other stuff. See it is all a balance. I know I will never want to sell my 800 series, but the rest of my system is in need of some catchup.
              So he has a better balanced system than I now I suspect - I am going to his place Sat to check it out with his new toys, and wouldn't be surprised at all if those 703s in his new system don't shine brighter than my system.
              My point is, don't wish for stuff that is just out of reach (at this stage). Good results are about balance - something we sometimes forget when a big dose of green upgraditis hits us hard :W

As an example, I know logically that the 800d is likely better than the 802d. But I can live with that.
              Cheers
              Norpus
              "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"