Am I making the right choice? SCM1 rears?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Am I making the right choice? SCM1 rears?

Im on the hunt for a pair of cherry SCM1 rears for my room, everything ive read and seen it seems like this is the way to go for wall mount speakers.

Whats your thoughts? Anyone have these or been able to compare them to the 805s?
    B&W
  • Camelot
    • Aug 2006

Yes Christopher, I can absolutely recommend the SCM1's. I was very satisfied using the SCM1's as rears. Recently, our living room was redecorated. Therefore, I have moved the N805's to the rear and the SCM1's as front. They are driven as large speakers and I have also connected 2 REL strata III subs "high level" to the front speaker binding posts on my RSX 1056 receiver.

Compared to the N805's I even like the sound of the SCM1 better. I believe they benefit from the wall mounting a lot. Although they fall off at 80hz the bass coming from the SCM1's is very tight and not boomy. Together with the subs the system is capable to produce a very nice full range sound field. I am very happy with this setup especially when playing music in the bypass mode.

Now I am even considering to sell my N805's and buy another pair of SCM1's. However, here in the Netherlands they are very hard to get. Hopefully, you will be able to find a mint set of SCM1's soon.

Good luck,
    Camelot

Comment

• jlee
      • Aug 2004

Echo pretty much everything camelot said... SCM1's kick ASS...

They have 4Khz crossover which is the same as HTM1, 804, 803, 802, etc. 805 have 3Khz crossover and they don't match as well...

furthermore, SCM1 have 1dB higher efficiency... 89dB... same as 804... this does make a subtle yet noticeable improvement... less power to get to same volume levels = higher quality sound if u like to listen loud.

Bass is tight and not boomy due to shallow enclosure... 805 is somewhat boomy and colors the midrange... SCM1 is the best speaker I've heard in the B&W 800 line without the FST...

ON PAPER, the bass tails off at 80Hz but that is because of the way the test is done, which is done away from the wall... but mounted to the wall, u get all the bass back, but it's tight... the midrange and HF also improve due to 1st reflections off the front wall (the wall they are mounted on) basically being so close to the original signal (timewise) that your brain basically ignores it... this equates to clearer less muddied sound.

I liked the SCM1 so much that when I upgraded to the 804S, HTM3, and SCMS, I kept the SCM1 for my office system.

I too have 2 REL Strata III's connected highlevel to the SCM1 and that takes care of the bass... also got 2 Stadium III's connected to my N804's ... soon to be 804S.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Thats good news, thanks for the replies, I just picked up an HTM1 to go inbetween the 802s Now to find that pair......
        B&W

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"