X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avairen
    • Aug 2006

New to B&W

Ok, so hello I'm kind of new to the whole HT stuff but I'm trying to learn. I'm not a complete n00b though, I've been into car audio for a couple of years now and just trying to have a home audio setup that's nice as well. I'm been reading a couple forums and B&W speakers keep coming up. I've bought some HT magazines as well and they even talk about B&W. I've never heard of this company and yet I hear great things about them, so to my point. After some reviews and peoples impressions from online(along with my budget) the 600 series seems to be the way to go. I was thinking maybe getting the DM603S3 for the fronts and then saving up for the rears, and center down the road.

I currently have a budget setup right now but most of it came from my dad and the dvd player/tv is my room mates.

setup is:
    Pioneer vsx-816
    Klipsch Heresy's
    unknown center channel
    samsung hd-931
    samsung 30" tv that has 1080i support but I don't remember the model number.

Room size really isn't that big, 8x16x12. Oh, I listen to probably 70% music, 30% movies. If that helps. Just trying to get some more input on the situation. Thank you :T

edit: if you guys could throw some subs that would go well with my setup that'd be nice as well, budget for that...mehhh let's say $600. I've been lookin at SVS stuff and they look pretty nice :E
  • Russ L
    • Jul 2006

Avairen- Glad to have you with us! I have the 600 series and would suggest either the 602 or the 604 due to their larger cabinets. Don't count out the bookshelf 602 because on quality B&W stands filled with sand and anchored to the floor with spikes the bass is surprisingly good and the imaging of the "bookshelf" is unique. Alot of unwanted resonances that floorstanders can produce by their closeness to the floor are eliminated. But give them a listen and let us know what you decide! -Russ
    Russ

Comment

• P1et
      • Jan 2006

Welcome Avairen! I totally agree with Russ L : I'm on my second set of DM602 S3s and they always blow me away. I've compared them with even the 704s and I wouldn't be able to justify the price difference.

600-series baby!

Comment

• WI Rotel
        • Jul 2006

If you buy 602's, or any bookshelf for that matter, do not neglect a sub or you'll be wondering where all the bass went (compared to the klipschorn). The 602's will have much better detail and are much less "colored" than the klipsch in the frequencies they do cover.

Comment

• wgriel
          • May 2006

Welcome!

Count me in as one vote for the 603s - fantastic speakers for the price, and if you do get a sub you won't miss the extra extension of the 604s. Plus, I think they'd be about the right size for your room. You could later add some 601s for surround (or even 600s - they're a surprisingly capable little speaker).

I have a pair of 603s in a 2 channel set up and they really are a great speaker. I also run a couple of 600s in my kitchen (couldn't fit a bigger speaker).

You can't go wrong buying an SVS sub - perhaps look into HSU as well, but either of those companies will give you a great product at a reasonable price. Nothing against the B&W subs, but your dollar goes farther with the above 2 companies.

Let us know how your search progresses.

Cheers,

Bill

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
            • Jun 2006

I'm going to catch a lot of heat for this, but before buying new speakers, take the crossovers out of the Heresys and replace the old junky capacitors with Solens (they are 2 uF each, you will need 4 total at about $3 each). You will also want to buy two 16 ohm 10 watt resistors (about 50 cents each). You need to drop the midrange and tweeter position on the autoformer one space down and use the resistor as a swamping resistor across the midrange.

This will drop the tweeter and midrange both about 3 db and keep the impedance the same.

The Heresy is voiced to be placed on the floor and sounds too bright when raised to a normal level. Try this little test. In a carpeted room, place the Heresys on the floor and near or in the corners. They should sound completely different than you are used to.

I have a few pairs of Heresys and other Heritage Klipsch as well as B&W's. Feel free to email me if you need more info.

Chris

Comment

• shrek
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by wgriel
              Welcome!

Count me in as one vote for the 603s - fantastic speakers for the price, and if you do get a sub you won't miss the extra extension of the 604s. Plus, I think they'd be about the right size for your room. You could later add some 601s for surround (or even 600s - they're a surprisingly capable little speaker).

I have a pair of 603s in a 2 channel set up and they really are a great speaker. I also run a couple of 600s in my kitchen (couldn't fit a bigger speaker).

You can't go wrong buying an SVS sub - perhaps look into HSU as well, but either of those companies will give you a great product at a reasonable price. Nothing against the B&W subs, but your dollar goes farther with the above 2 companies.

Let us know how your search progresses.

Cheers,

Bill
              I agree with Bill. Get the 603's for the fronts and later on get the 601's (or 600's) for the rear. Naturally, get a B&W centre speaker.

Comment

• Avairen
                • Aug 2006

well I'll get back with you guys on what I've decided on. The place nearest to me for me to be able to listen to them, is close to two hours away. =/.......

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                  • Jun 2006

Av,

I may be interested in your Heresys and center channel. Where are you located? Can you email me pictures. nevadamail@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Chris

Comment

• Avairen
                    • Aug 2006

oh nothing is for sale man, sorry. I would give them back to my dad if I got new speakers, he would be crushed if I sold them.

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Avairen
                      well I'll get back with you guys on what I've decided on. The place nearest to me for me to be able to listen to them, is close to two hours away. =/.......
                      Avairen,

Make sure you listen to as many different speakers before you make your purchase. Most of us on this forum have done this. But, we are only a guide.....Your ears are the only opinion that counts. ;x(

Comment

• Avairen
                        • Aug 2006

The only stuff I've heard is klipsch(well that's kind of a big name brand). I love how my dads cornwalls sound, love those things. I just personally don't like the sound of the heresy's really, they get kind of harsh in the upper freq ranges when the volume goes up. Plus it's just time for something different.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"