X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • falconboy
    • Jul 2006

Closing the 802D bassreflex opening?

Hi there,

I am a happy 802D owner but have an unsolved problem with my room acoustics. I have a significant room resonance at 40 Hz which has a gain of +10dB at listening position and of +16db at some other points.

Unfortunatly, the 802 has (as far as I know) a bass reflex resonance of 40Hz as well which means that the 802 hits my room resonance more intensively as I would like it...

Is it wise, in such a case, to simply close the bass reflex vent? I first thought that this could be rude to this fine box ... but the developer of fine suisse box Piega says that this is ok and "technically always the correct way (in case of low bass room acoustics problems)".

Does anybody here has an opinion or tried it?

Regards,
    Falk
  • james_dmi
    • Jan 2005

The 802D port is tuned much lower then 40Hz, It’s down at 23Hz if memory serves correct. Not to say that plugging the holes might not produce any benefit as the port is highly damped (i.e. wide bandwidth). First try pulling them out further into the room and make sure they are not too close to side walls or other obstructions.
    James

Comment

• hillen
      • Nov 2004

DSP's are the way to solve your roomrelated problem entirely.
      Please, visit the Tact homepage to learn more about this powerful option.
      I also own the 802 D's, and all I can say is, that listening without roomcorrection - TACT RCS 2.0S - is NO option anymore.

Comment

• caleb
        • Aug 2004

Romm EQ

Originally posted by hillen
        DSP's are the way to solve your roomrelated problem entirely.
        Please, visit the Tact homepage to learn more about this powerful option.
        I also own the 802 D's, and all I can say is, that listening without roomcorrection - TACT RCS 2.0S - is NO option anymore.
        I agree - my room with my 800Ds is a bit boomy.

However with my TAG AV32Dp and it's TMREQ it calms down the boominess very well.

Dont exactly agree that TACT is the only way to go unless of course you have a vested interest in plugging this particular system!!

Comment

• WI Rotel
          • Jul 2006

BW will provide you (sell) foam inserts to block the port if needed. Its cheap way to control boominess. My XT are sitting right next to the wall due to placement constraints, the bungs have worked perfectly. In the XT series, since they are meant for AV applications the bungs are included with the speakers.

Comment

• jim777
            • Mar 2005

Check out Stereophile's review (fig. 3) of the 802D, the port is responsable for most of the 30-40Hz response. Blocking it could be a cheap trick to calm down your problem.

However, you should really try the speakers further from the walls first if you can.

Comment

• tboooe
              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by WI Rotel
              BW will provide you (sell) foam inserts to block the port if needed. Its cheap way to control boominess. My XT are sitting right next to the wall due to placement constraints, the bungs have worked perfectly. In the XT series, since they are meant for AV applications the bungs are included with the speakers.
              Are you sure there are foam inserts available for the 802d??? I have never heard of this.

Comment

• tboooe
                • Jun 2005

this may seem like an obvious statement, but have you tried room treatments?

Comment

• WI Rotel
                  • Jul 2006

Originally posted by tboooe
                  Are you sure there are foam inserts available for the 802d??? I have never heard of this.
                  No, but since they offer them for other models a quick call to customer services should suffice. On the PV1, the manual doesnt say anything about an RCA dead plug when connecting the sub to the speaker outputs, thus leading to an instant ground loop. I gave them a call and they sent the RCA plug within a few days. Worth a try. Anyway if you must "manufacture" them they are made of high density foam (the squishy type) and are about 3 inches long.

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Flow port bungs are not available from B&W for either the 802D or the 800D.
                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• jim777
                      • Mar 2005

Is the flow port even accessible? (isn't it between the bass cabinet and the cross-over)

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jim777
                        Is the flow port even accessible? (isn't it between the bass cabinet and the cross-over)
                        Yes but not easily. It is on the underside of the cabinet and right above the plinth which houses the crossover network.

Comment

• stewfoo
                          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                          Flow port bungs are not available from B&W for either the 802D or the 800D.
                          Did you say "Bung" hhehehheheheehhehehheeh -Beavis
                          Stew

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by stewfoo
                            Did you say "Bung" hhehehheheheehhehehheeh -Beavis
                            LOL, I did! :P I could have said "DA BUNG" :roflmao:

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"