X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pez
    • May 2004

800 Series Surrounds and Amplifaction

Sometime in the future I am probably going to upgrade my surround speakers to either the DSM8's or SCM8's. I may even go with a lower model (like the 700 series) but for the sake of this discussion I am wondeirng about the 800 series models in question.

Currently I am running a pair of Paradigm ADP-470's with a Rotel RMB-1066 which puts out 60 wpc. This amp is used only for surround duty and zone 2 speakers and I have been very happy with its performance. My first question is if I do eventually go with the 800 series surrounds is the 1066 going to be enough? Its important to bear in mind that the surrounds are only used for movies as I am not into multi-channel music (I like it pure 2 channel and I dont listen to much music anyway - system usages is 95% movies and TV). The amp is bridgeable to 150 wpc I think which I could do as 2 channels are not being used (its a 6 channel amp). However if I ever go with 7.1 and I would already have the extra channels needed, assuming I dont bridge it.

I have toyed with the idea of getting Rotel's 7 channel digital amp at 100 wpc for the same amplification on all speakers but I really like the amp I am using now for the fornts, 804S's and HTM3S powered by an Earthquake Cinenova 3 channel model at 300 wpc. I dont really know much about digital amps and how it would compare to the Earthquake. Unless I win the lotto the 804S's and HTM3S will be with me a long time. I bought those speakers knowing that getting anything better would be well beyond my means and it has worked - no desire to upgarde.

Again, these are just exploratory questions as it will be a awhile before this could happen. Just would like some input so I have a good starting point before I go ahead with anything.

For reference, my room is a medium sized and using Rotel RSP-1068. Sub is SVS PC+ 20-39 (with soon to be added upgraded woofer), fronts xover is 60 and surrounds xover is 80.
Working...
Searching...Please wait.
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
There are no results that meet this criteria.
Search Result for "|||"