X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

Get current 800 series, or wait?

G'day,

Currently in negotiation with my B&W dealer to get 803 + HTM1.

I thought I might be able to strike a good deal with the impending release of the new 800 series, but he reckons that Aussie B&W dealers aren't getting any of the new stock until May/June. That kinda undercuts my bargaining position.

Anyway, I've got two nagging doubts that I hope someone here can help clear up:
    • I'm thinking the 805 for rears (not really into the SCM1s), but I'm wondering if these are really necessary. Can I get away with 705s instead? My main interest is music (about 80%), so surrounds are not a great priority, which is why I'm a bit unsure about going the expense of the 805s.
    • Part of me still thinks I should wait for the new 800 release. I'm thinking that the new S805s, which are supposedly just as good if not better than the current Signature 805s, might be a wiser option. I'd be giving up the bass extension of the 803, but gaining extra detail and clarity (at least, that's my impression of the current Signature 805s). Would anyone recommend getting the 803s now, instead of the new 805s (or new 804s)?

Thoughts on the above appreciated.

--Geoff
  • gostan
    • May 2003

This is a very difficult decision because we have no true life listening reviews of any of the new 800 series II speakers. All I can offer is that I listen to about 70% music- 30%HT with my 803's and HTM1. Quite often I will simply go bypass with just my 803's and they sound better today than when I purchased them last August. If you can get a 20-25% off of the 803's and HTM1, then this is a very viable, but still difficult decision.

Also, what do you use for a subwoofer? Aside from the construction-cabinet changes, the major change in the new 800-S series which would really affect the way the speaker sounds appears to be in the type of material used for the bass drivers, which also results in a simpler crossover.

Listen carefully and fully to the existing 803's - you will definitely love their sound- it is fuller and deeper than the existing 804's. A steep 20-25% discount coupled with the new price increases of the Series II is a lot of $$ to save for the existing superb 800 series speakers, expecially when you are talking about the 803's v. the 805's.

Good luck.

Stan
    Stan

Comment

• hired goon
      • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by gostan
      Quite often I will simply go bypass with just my 803's and they sound better today than when I purchased them last August.
      The 803s I'm trying to get are floor stock, and have been run-in already, so they sound beaut. The HTM1 is still in the box, however.

Also, what do you use for a subwoofer?
      A sub is further down the track - concentrating on front + centre at the moment. Dunno if I'll go B&W, however. I'm quite happy to pick up a Paradigm sub, for example.

--Geoff

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

In my opinion depends on what your budget is...

If you can afford (and wait) for the new series...then I would do that! If we know B&W, these new speakers will be BETTER,...they won't release this high end line without making sure they are better than the current series. How much better?....time will tell.

If you are on a budget, then it is hard to pass up a deal on current inventory 800 series. But make sure you get a substantial deal...30% at least!

In my case...
        I was looking to purchase an HTM7 to pair up with my 705s. And had planned in the future to replace the 705s with 703s. Prior to this purchae I listend to both the 804 and 703. A new 804 would have never been in my budget, but since after cost reductions it became cheaper than the 703. Well, cost on top of the fact that i preferred the sound of the 804s it was an obvious decision to make. So, i'm now the proud owner of some 804s with an HTM2 to match.

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

I think it is a matter of patience and price. If you dealer will not discount the current line, then the question is can you wait or do you need it now?
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• junior77blue
            • Nov 2004

The "need it now factor" is always hard to fight... :lol:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"